Medical Students Forums banner

Why Is There No Excitement Here About The MCAT Result This Year?

Tags
6K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  AsadShahbaz 
#1 ·
i remember last year a lot of people were eagerly sharing their marks on this forum...has the result been so bad this year?:p....also... there is no such excitement on other media as well....people seem so disappointed.... or its just too early? :cautious:

#3 · (Edited)
Heeey! I'm passionate too! It must count a little, at least.

i remember last year a lot of people were eagerly sharing their marks on this forum...has the result been so bad this year?:p....also... there is no such excitement on other media as well....people seem so disappointed.... or its just too early? :cautious:
It's too early.

And don't I seem excited?

---I just realised you guys are talking about the MCAT result and not admissions in general. Sorry for crashing this thread.---

#12 ·
Merit will definitely be down this year. Look at the marks of toppers. Last year 3rd position holder had 1070 marks while this year marks are 1059! Moreover roznama dunya, one of the most reputed news sounce of Pakistan says that expected last merit for public sector medical colleges (Mbbs+dental) will be above 84.10%.

#18 ·
MCAT really wasn't very hard. The only problem was time, which I couldn't manage properly and ended up rushing a few physics questions(7 wrong in physics). I'm sure I would've scored better if I had managed the time properly. I do have a refugee certificate, so I'm not much worried as I got another shot in Kashmir's MCAT.

#21 ·
I have punjab's domicile. But I have refugee's certificate aswell(of 1947). Refugee's have a reserved quota (similar to backward area quota in punjab) in medical colleges of punjab. We're basically given a privilege of being eligible to apply on that quota. Its merit is like 85.5.

#37 ·
I agree with what Natalie and Khizer just stated. But I think we, as prospective doctors, should discuss our education system based on rote learning and cramming. I absolutely despise this system, not because it is.hard for me to rote learn due to belonging to the O/A levels background, but because it's useless! There are people who have no sound concepts But are good at cramming will go on to become doctors and just imagine what they'll do with their patients' lives. I attended kips mcat prep session for two weeks before the mcat and I found people who couldn't even speak to me properly, people so shy, some with zero personal hygiene and grooming. But they were getting 1050+ on each practice full length paper. When I asked a few of them about some questions I wasn't understanding, they said "its on fsc book 2 pg 122 paragraph 3 next to the yellow box on the side" And I was shocked! They remembered each page and lines, I was disheartened as to how I could compete with these people? But I'm happy as the mcat this year had many questions based on concepts and thus I actually got more than those people, a few had similar marks as mine.
Long story short, our education system needs a revamp. This easy way of cramming should be stopped once and for all to really judge where people stand. Also they should consider a students extra curricular achievements during the admission process. I have hundreds of certificates in debates, science, council works etc but they are useless now as Pakistan completely ignores them and wants just grades.

#38 ·
a very valid point.....extra curricular activities......same here...i have got a lot of them too in different categories but its useless atleast in uhs,however some of the private universities do consider them especially sports acheivements but uhs do give a few extra marks to hafiz-e-quran!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.