Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I was just wondering way do you guys (specifically taimur, Sameer, anyone else who got accecpted this year) would go to med school in Pakistan. If you have numbers in the high 800's and low 900's which is really good why don't you just go to a US Medical School. You have a great chance in getting to a top school here. I'm contemplating this becasue I know that graduated from a Pakistani or any foreign med school really sets you back in residency if you want to get into a good one ex. residency in surgery. So could you guys just like make a list or give an in depth response as to why you choose to go to a Pakistani Med School. and how your prospects for the future look. How does it help you in the future? I know you might say the time 5 years vs. 8 years but it takes more like 6-7 with taking the USMLE and interviewing for residencies and even that doesn't guarantee a residency.

Also if you guys go when do you plan to take your USMLE? which year of schooling? Also do you guys plan to do any research/publications?

#happy#wink#laugh#angry

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey salam cooldude89,

You're totally right about getting into med. school in the U.S. I think if I tried really hard I could get into a good med. school here, but not without doing a lot of work -- getting really good grades, doing research, getting clinical experience, getting involved in clubs, etc.

I'm not gonna try to say that the best medical schools in Pakistan are close to as good to the best in the U.S. But for me personally, it's a good deal. I haven't been to Pakistan very many times in my life -- and I feel kind of distant from my family/culture. The way I see it is that it's a good chance to get a degree in medicine and kinda get to know the country/the people/my family. Sure the schools over there aren't Harvards or Yales, but all the same many of these schools have been around for decades and are recognized worldwide. They aren't just money-making schemes like many other med. schools these days that are popping up.

I know I'm probably really optimistic about it now and that as soon as I go I'm gonna get that "o crap what have I done" feeling but that's all part of the experience :).

It really depends on how you look at the whole thing. If all you're concerned about is medical school, and you're confident in your academic records as well as your ability to do everything that pre-med demands of you in the states, then by all means you should stay in the U.S. Academically speaking, nothing compares to an education attained at a good U.S. school.

If circumstances in my life had been different, and I had been able to visit Pakistan every year to stay in touch with things, I doubt I would have even considered going to med. school there. As this is not the case, I figured going to a reputable med. school there is a good way to pursue my career goals as well as my personal dreams. Also, since I got in through a PTAP seat, it's going to save my parents a lot of money -- $200/year as opposed to around $50,000/year (and that's without consider the cost of undergrad. education which is another 4 years)

As far as residencies go, if you're willing to put in the time/effort and go the extra mile to do electives, do research, and get letters of rec., you can build up a competitive resume for a residency in a good specialty. Personally I'm not super ambitious and I'm not looking to go into surgery. From what I've read/heard, Internal Medicine seems to be right for me but who knows, med. school might change that!

What it comes down to is who you are. If you're looking for the easiest way to get into medicine and get a good residency, I don't think you have the right mindset. It's not easy whether you stay in the States or go to Pakistan. I can't give you much advice regarding residency competition, but from what I've read, it isn't exactly a walk in the park in the States either.

I can't say much about when I want to take the USMLE since I haven't even started going to medical college. I'd like to take it the year I graduate (2013?), but that's something I'll look more into as I start going to school and talking to others that have taken the USMLE/will be taking it w/me and see how things suit me best.

Kind of early for me to know whether I will be doing research/publications. I'd like to. Again, something I can't really give you a definite answer till I reach that stage.

I think prospects for the future are good. I haven't heard of anyone who has tried really hard, gotten good scores, and not gotten a residency here in the U.S. I'm not too worried about not being able to come back, if that's what you mean. If you are worried about that, well, I can't really console you much except to say that a degree in medicine from a reputable school (like a lot of those in Pakistan) will land you a job anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
88 Posts
yes i agree with you Smeer that's why i m deciding to go and study in Pakistan..i havent been there for seven years i guess a little change would be better...but then as for US the competition is very high...u do your undergrad and waste money on that...and when you apply for medical who knows that you are going to get in...if not you are already in debt of owing for the undergrad you did...but i dunno if you apply to Pak i guess you kind of have hope getting in fur sure...thats if you have good marks...but then again...there are other options awailable too..i m not sure of coming back here or not...it depends..so i guess its up to you to stay here or not.. no one can change ur decision!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Its simple. Straight A students in the USA have a tough time getting into medical school even. Its incredibly competitive and extremely difficult, not to mention expensive. I know quite a few people who did their pre med at very good universities and got great grades but still ended up going to the Caribbean.

Not to mock the Carib Island schools but from what one of my friends told me (he came to Pakistan medical, got kicked out for failing the prof too many times in first year and then got admitted into the Caribbean) is that the schools in those Islands are simply USMLE - Crash courses. They focus everything basically around Board Review Series books and Kaplan USMLE books, instead of standard text books. So ya they know enough to Pass the USMLE but as for real doctors its not saying much. I mean you do learn most of what you practice in your residency but still.

So for those who arent geniuses, their choice is either Caribbean or Pakistan... Pakistan would be much better.. than some boring Island!

·
Registered
418 Posts
wow thats a load of info u guys! lets say i get the oppurtunity to do medicine from harvard or some other really prestigious school, i would definately go there even if it takes 10 years! but i guess the main problem is:
1) its extremely difficult getting into med schools in america
2) this i guess is the main reason: my dads grocery store in new york doesnt generate money to get me through med school in america. and i guess im lucky to say that hes got enuff for my self finance seat here in pakistan!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Its simple. Straight A students in the USA have a tough time getting into medical school even... I know quite a few people who did their pre med at very good universities and got great grades but still ended up going to the Caribbean.
wow, that's crazy ! I thought anyone with really good grades could get in somewhere in the U.S. I guess that's reassuring to those (like me) who want to go to Pakistan for med. school but occasionally find themselves double-minded about doing so.

Not to mock the Carib Island schools but from what one of my friends told me (he came to Pakistan medical, got kicked out for failing the prof too many times in first year and then got admitted into the Caribbean) is that the schools in those Islands are simply USMLE - Crash courses. They focus everything basically around Board Review Series books and Kaplan USMLE books, instead of standard text books. So ya they know enough to Pass the USMLE but as for real doctors its not saying much. I mean you do learn most of what you practice in your residency but still.

So for those who arent geniuses, their choice is either Caribbean or Pakistan... Pakistan would be much better.. than some boring Island!
From what I've read/heard/researched, I would have to agree (well put) #yes. Except I might add that a lot of those schools, especially those that have recently popped up, have found it a profitable business scheme, whereas a lot of Pakistani schools have been around for decades without the sole purpose of raking in money in exchange for pumping out doctors.

·
Registered
88 Posts
yess thats true....but now all the attacks that are happening in Pakistan makes me want to rethink again about going there...any opionions on that?

·
Registered
418 Posts
the media really sucks, all ur news suck, fox sucks, cnn sucks, etc. there arent as many attacks as you think and 95% are concentrated in karachi................media only shows u the crummy parts of a country...when we see iraq on tv it looks realy crummy they never show you the parts of the country thats all modernized and stuff

WOOHOO my 100th post!!!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I dont think anyone would kill themselves in order to hurt you hahaha. There are 160 million people in Pakistan. You have a better chance of getting hurt here in a car accident then by an explosive!

·
Registered
88 Posts
hahahaaaa we are talking bout life and death here...ok i get your point but accidents happen..and if ur lucky you wont be there when they happen....so i guess punjab is the safest place of all?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Its equally safe and dangerous everywhere in Pakistan, just dont expose yourself too much. Dont go to political processions. But its good to keep your eye open.

·
Registered
82 Posts
one more thing...never follow anyone blindly specially be careful with friends. You don't want too extremist or too liberal friends...trust me you will find people who will say speaking english and wearing jeans are haraam and on the other side you will find people who will say there is nothing in Quran which says alcohol is haraam.

·
Registered
88 Posts
haahaa neva thought that rickshas could be dangerous what about tangaas...lol...ok really i thought that pakistan is more religious than here...i guess not

i understand the other things....but speaking English HarAM!! what are u talkin about....that does not have anythin to do with Islam

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so maybe its a lot easier route. But in the end should you go for the easier route which will cost you in the end or the harder route which I'm pretty sure if you really focus gets you in med in America. In the end we will all get crummy residencies even with alot of research/electives and good USMLE scores. The competition increasing by the year. Have you guys thought about maybe I might not get a good residency in the field I wish to go.

Also I'm not sure and I should predict now but I want to get a residency in general surgery can someone tell me if I have any chance at landing a decent general surgery residency in America.

Any prospects on that people???????????????

#angry#angry#angry

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Ok so maybe its a lot easier route. But in the end should you go for the easier route which will cost you in the end or the harder route which I'm pretty sure if you really focus gets you in med in America. In the end we will all get crummy residencies even with alot of research/electives and good USMLE scores. The competition increasing by the year. Have you guys thought about maybe I might not get a good residency in the field I wish to go.

Also I'm not sure and I should predict now but I want to get a residency in general surgery can someone tell me if I have any chance at landing a decent general surgery residency in America.

Any prospects on that people???????????????

#angry#angry#angry

http://medstudentz.com/beyond-med-school/477-can-img-get-surgery-residency-us.html#post5304

·
Registered
82 Posts
haahaa neva thought that rickshas could be dangerous what about tangaas...lol...ok really i thought that pakistan is more religious than here...i guess not

i understand the other things....but speaking English HarAM!! what are u talkin about....that does not have anythin to do with Islam

i know it has nothing to do with Islam but what i was trying to say was that u will encounter all sorts of people and some extremists do make such claims. These are not my believes. From what i remembered from my last trip to pakistan, there were two extremes in pakistan either too religious or too liberal. You are smart enought so u wont have any problem.

Sorry 4 getting off the thread topic.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts