Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salam to all and hey!
Firstly, i would like to comment that this site is very helpful and has cleared many doubts i had in mind. Thank you all.
Secondly, i have just finished my olevels and am waiting for my results which should be out mid august. I have lived in LA, California most of my life and now have moved to Dubai UAE.
I will be doing my Alevels next year after which i would like to join a medical university in order to do my MBBS.

1 My first ques is that i have chosen the below universities *in order of preference*. Is this enough and is there a chance i will get into atleast one.

1 SHIFA
2 Agh Khan
3 DOW
4 King Edward

2. I am very keen on getting into Shifa because i know a friend who went there and i heard it is good for foreign students. How difficult is it getting into Shifa?

3. if i dont get into the above 4 which ones should i try?

4. Where should i live? how are the hostels in shifa. Or is it safe if i live in an apt. like maybe with a maid? i think isl is safe#baffled

i would be very thankful if u could answer these questions.

I wish every1 luck in what they plan to do and please wish me the best of luck too. #happy

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Hi Mush and welcome to the forum!

All four of the schools that you've selected are great and hopefully you'll get admitted to more than one of them. The thing is, however, that we can't give you much advice regarding your "chances" of getting admission until you find out your IBCC equivalence score and SAT Subject Test scores (for Shifa and Aga Khan). Once you have those we can give you a better idea of how competitive your application is.

If you don't get into any one of those schools, there's plenty other great schools to choose from and I wouldn't consider this by any means a list of the Top 4 -- every school has its plus points and weak points and it also depends on which city you want to live in.

Regarding the Shifa hostels -- they're decent but nothing amazing if you're used to living abroad. Getting an apartment in Islamabad is a great option if you're willing to pay a little extra. I live in one myself with some classmates after trying out the Shifa hostel for a year and have found it to be very convenient and comfortable. Safety has never been an issue for us.

Anyways, you're doing well by getting all this information early on but do come back and let us know once you have your scores and we can give you a better idea of your chances at different schools.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you soo much. Your response has been very helpful and yes i will surely keep you updated on my progress. One more thing do you think i should do SATs after doing my Alevels in order to get into Shifa? or are 3 A level subjects enough (bio, chem, phys)?

May God keep you in the best of health and bless you. Thank you once again.:#happy

·
Registered
12 Posts
and Oh my God i was just going through the IBCC forum and overcame something new. What will i go as a foreign student or local student? I was born in pakistan and have a pakistani passport but i havent lived there:S. Does this still mean i need islamiyat and pakistan studies n urdu#confused Oh God i think i will have to stick to only private universities then. Im getting a head ache now. It is all so complicated
By the way which year are you in rehan? and about the living i think i will do that *apt* but before moving i will post a thread here for all girl students studying at shifa any other university who are living together in an apt or are willing to move in with me. That will be much better

I was also wondering i have completed my Olevels. Can i skip A levels and just do SATs. Would Shifa take that? i know im trying to take a short cut but hey it doesnt hurt to ask:happy:#grin #laugh

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
It depends on where you went to school, not so much which passport you have. If you went to school in the US your whole life or somewhere other than Pakistan but aren't a citizen of that country, you're still going to apply as a foreigner. Foreigners don't need Pakistan or Islamic studies.

And no, you can not skip A levels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you for clearing that Rizwan. But as i asked before do i have to do SAT 1 and 2? or just 2? or neither? What would you guys advise, giving the SATs or giving the entrance exam (mainly for shifa).

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Ok thank you for clearing that Rizwan. But as i asked before do i have to do SAT 1 and 2? or just 2? or neither? What would you guys advise, giving the SATs or giving the entrance exam (mainly for shifa).
Only SAT Subject Tests (previously called SAT 2's) are required for Shifa. SAT-I is not required. Please read the Shifa College of Medicine thread and the various other threads regarding admissions because you'll find that many of your questions have already been answered.

The SAT question has been asked previously -- try out the Search feature up near the top of the page if you have some more questions -- you won't have to wait for a response that way! :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mush, as for AKU, you need either SAT I or MCAT score in lieu of its entrance exam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok Thank You for clearing this. I am thinking of doing my SAT II now like in october. And as for Agha Khan i will give the entrance exam a shot because i dont know if i can do the SAT I too. Anyways thank you all for your help. God Bless You.

·
Registered
44 Posts
question!!

hi everyone, i'm a high school senior-to-be at the start of the next school year in the US and i was interested in applying to AKU. my question is this: does the IBCC really lower american students' grades by 20%?? and how exactly does the scoring system work? is gpa involved at all? andd are ap exams required in the averaging of the IBCC score or could they just average in sat 2's? thank you very much for ur time and i'll be looking forward to a response anytime soon#grin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nausha,

All your questions have already been answered in other threads. Please search the forums before posting.

Thanks.
Maybe we should have a FAQ thread, so us newer members won't have to dig through pages off posts looking for answers.

Plus it would be an easy reference tool for people just browsing through the forum and there would be a smaller chance of misinformation.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Bigboi_baller,

Thanks for the suggestion. For future reference, try to keep suggestions on forum improvement in the Forum Feedback section of the forum.

Also, FAQ's about stuff like each individual medical school wouldn't really be practical. That's why there are separate threads for each school. Plus users need to utilize the search function more often, as it's very helpful, but often overlooked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts