Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am gonna study 12 grade in america and there are 3 levels of difficulty in american high schoo,l cp, honirs/pre-ap and ap. cp is the easiest and ap is the hardest. now i want to know that whether ap cp or honor is required for equivalnce and for admissiob to medical college for mbbs

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi , i'm also a 12 grade student here in the US and based on what I've gathered from the IBCC and PMC websites' , previous forum threads on here , and just asking around over the past 3 years , cp or on level classes are accepted by the IBCC for equivalence , but will result in about a 10 point deduction when they do the conversion. This can significantly set you back when they calculate your aggregate and can affect your chances of making it high up on the merit list if you plan on applying to a public/government school or a private school that gives a lot of weight to grades. AP classes and honors classes are supposedly ( i recommend asking around or doing some further research as the policy tends to change year to year) treated differently than normal cp classes given that they are harder and the IBCC states that they do use that as a factor when converting grades.

As far as AP exams go , the IBCC classifies them as "external examinations" and will take less points off your aggregate the higher you score ( for an exact percentage and comparison chart check the conversion pamphlet on the IBCC website). In my opinion and based on what i've heard/read on forums and from people who have gone through the process as international students , if at all possible its best to take the honors/AP levels of the required subjects ( Biology , Chemistry , Physics ( or Math) , and English) , and if your school offers multiple levels of a subject ( for example an honors biology class and an AP biology class) taking both , in order to ensure you meet IBCC requirements ( they say at least one year of the science subjects) and get the highest equivalence/aggregate possible.

Being an international student its inevitable you're going to be at a disadvantage when it comes to merit lists , especially if your trying to apply as a local student because you'll be ranked behind local Pakistani applicants who don't get as many points taken off during their equivalency . If you apply as a foreign student you'll be up against other applicants who have also had the point deduction , but the number of applicants schools accept out of the applicant pool will be much smaller ( about 20 for most private schools)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thank you. in the last few sentences u said applicant pool will be much smaller. are u talking about foreign seats?how many foriegn seats are left in private medical colleges? i have heard pmc removed foriegn seats for private medical colleges

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're completely right , the PMC did announce back in Oct that they've removed the quota/seats allocated for foreign students and required them to take the local MDCAT exam in an effort to ensure that they have future doctors who will stay in Pakistan post-graduation and not leave like most foreign students do.

This decision made by the PMC hasn't truly gone into effect yet as the application/admission process has barely begun , so its hard to say how it'll effect foreign applicants applying this year. According to the decision hypothetically there are no "foreign" seats at universities now , foreign applicants will be in the same pool and on the same merit list as locals at many government/public universities. As for private schools they are allowed to incorporate interviews and their own entrance exams into their admissions process and have given those 2 things certain weightage in the aggregate calculations. In both cases foreign students pay the same "foreigner" price.

If you're applying in the next application round ( September/Oct 2022) or afterward I think the best thing to do is just watch what happens to the current foreign applicants with all the changes the PMC has initiated as its quite likely they may make some changes to the foreign application process after receiving feedback from this year's cycle. A great resource that keeps track of all these changes and has a bunch of great info for foreign applicants is Random and More on YouTube and Instagram.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you.Will i have to take anatomy and physiology as an elective for equivalency or not

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only classes the IBCC will use for equivalency are Biology (1 year minimum) , Chemistry (1 year minimum) , Physics or Math (1 year minimum), and English ( All 4 years). Any class outside of this will not be used to calculate an aggregate or equivalency as they are not always available to other students ( A&P for example isn't offered in Pakistan and has absolutely nothing to do with "Pre-Med" ( the list of classes used for equivalency is on the IBCC website fyi)).

I would however suggest taking other science/medicine related classes and related extracurriculars as it will significantly strengthen your application as a foreign student at schools that look at other classes and extracurriculars ( Aga Khan in Karachi for example does this). If you plan on applying to public schools or private institutions that don't look at extras like other classes and extra/co-curriculars, no you don't need A&P as an elective.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thank you. i have ran into an issue, i have no room for science subjects and english in 12th grade. they said that i will have to take 2 pe subjects 1 goverment economics 1 history 1 health and 1 math subject for graduation. whats solution to this? my school also offers 13th grade in high school and have also have heard that i can take college classes along with or after highschool but they are not letting me take college classes they say i will have to wait till december and i can only take college classes if i get good grades in my subjects. what should i do? should i do 13th grade or college along with highschool or after high school? and if i do 13th grade or college will they still count towards my equivalency or not?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I faced a problem, I don't have a place for science subjects and English in 12th grade? What shall I do?
I faced a problem, I don't have a place for science subjects and English in 12th grade? What shall I do?
my sisters friend also faced similar issue. she did her physica after highschool. now i am not sure how she did that after highschool i think she did it from community college
also ask ure school if they offer 13th grade

1 - 10 of 10 Posts