Medical Students Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I disagree to some extent. I think the problem is not with the MCAT but with the FSc system. There should be one unanimous body that should check all the papers. I don't mean to point fingers but there are so many students who have 950+ marks in FSc but don't even know the most basic things about their subjects.

I am quite fond of the MCAT system. You have biology which is the cramming part, Physics which is the analytical part and Chemistry which is a combination of both. There is also no bias in the checking whereas in your FSc papers there are a hundred and one factors that determine your marks. It could be the checker's mood and what not. It is, imo, a muddled system.

You are so right!!!

Fsc sucks honestly! I got straight A's in O levels but Fsc was horrible...I mean I knew the syllabus and performed my best but my fsc result was bad....I didnt even reach 900...a little less than 900 :(

I think that Fsc needs to be revised...I believe that the papers are not checked by competent people....

and i love MCAT :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
@ Grimes:
That's a great point. :) This makes more sense! No wonder I've seen people scoring 1000 or near to be no way deserving those marks.
I myself have very low opinion of FSC. One can score high in practicals in fsc if he/she gives some bribery or have relatives fo "recomendations"! ALevels is what proves your real competency. It is expensive for the general population of pakistan but it is way superior to fsc!

Yes, FSC system should be improved. If Entry Test is total merit based and transparent, then why can't the CM improve it too?! :/

·
Registered
78 Posts
actually fsc is not the real problem it is the approach of students that is the basic problem
me and many of my friends also did fsc but our approach was to gulp in the concepts not to rote learn the text. although our teachers emphasized on learning but we spent nights surfing over the internet to quench our thirst for concepts

i advise those who join fsc after olevels to join federal board rather than lahore board as it is a bit concept based

·
Registered
312 Posts
actually fsc is not the real problem it is the approach of students that is the basic problem
me and many of my friends also did fsc but our approach was to gulp in the concepts not to rote learn the text. although our teachers emphasized on learning but we spent nights surfing over the internet to quench our thirst for concepts

i advise those who join fsc after olevels to join federal board rather than lahore board as it is a bit concept based

I didnt do federal board...I went with lhr board because I wanted to go to Kinnaird :p

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I too hate the FSc system i got good marks in certain subjects -like 75+ and in the remaining subjects only 60-65... though i thought i performed better in those subjects, and could make a total score of 850 only :( and i scored 990 marks in MCAT-am amongst the top 500 students and still couldn't make it to a medical college :cry::cry::cry: . In NTS test my percentile is 99 and 93%age. i dont think i am less intelligent than those above 84 to get into a medical college but WHEN YOU ARE LIVING IN PAKISTAN YOU MUST KNOW ONLY YOUR "FATE" IS RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING :roll:

·
Registered
78 Posts
actually the main problem is our lack of knowledge and the misguidance from our schools they should have told us that by joining o a levels at what risk we are while living in Pakistan .they call in counselling teams which tell us that only a few percentage marks would be deducted and at that time we do not take 15% as a big thing

actually both my elder siblings have done o a levels but i was the only one whom my dad dragged into matric /fsc at that time i considered it unfair but now i am thankful to him :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
criticizing isn't gona help, do we have any better option other then repeating :(?

·
Registered
27 Posts
actually the main problem is our lack of knowledge and the misguidance from our schools they should have told us that by joining o a levels at what risk we are while living in Pakistan .they call in counselling teams which tell us that only a few percentage marks would be deducted and at that time we do not take 15% as a big thing

actually both my elder siblings have done o a levels but i was the only one whom my dad dragged into matric /fsc at that time i considered it unfair but now i am thankful to him :)
Yes you were lucky enough to do Fsc.... I did O n A levels in 2011 when cambridge's marking system was not renewed... Now i am at a disadvantage due to the A star thing.... Our batch was treated unfairly.... :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
well you should have applied to a private medical college too...now look for colleges that still have some seats left..or you could repeat...because I can tell you that students with less than 84% don't have a chance now in any government medical college for mbbs.

the merit has risen so much this year that it is scary....what is this world coming to...? it is, like, humanly impossible to get into a government medical college now...something needs to be done ...the education policies and syllabi are to be revised because if this keeps up, then soon thousands of well deserving students won't make it to government colleges.
One minute silence for those whose reading it in 2021 .you are right nowadays admission in govt medical college seems impossible and am to much scared because i am now doing my fsc and my eyes oo this high merit that how could i cross it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts