Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Share the best books you use for the different medical subjects.

Anatomy
Physiology
Biochemistry
Pharmacology
Pathology
Histology
Embryology
Internal Medicine
E.t.c.

get the idea?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Anatomy: Keith L. Moore

Physiology: Guyton or Sherwood

Biochem: *shivers*

Pharmacology: I prefer Lippincotts

Histology: no one book

Embryo: Langmans

I prefer to get all my basic knowledge from those books and then crunch really hard with the Board Review Series to complete the recipe =)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anatomy :lasts's anatomy,Snell's clinical anatomy.
Physiology :Guyton
Biochemistry :harper's biochemistry and lippincott's at times.
Pharmacology -
Pathology -
Histology :Difore and Medical histology by dr.Liaq Siddique
Embryology :Langman's of corse
Internal Medicine -

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anatomy snell's
Physiology guyton
Biochemistry harper
Pharmacology goodman
Pathology robbins
Histology
Embryology
Internal Medicine harrisons
surgery bailey n love

·
Registered
4 Posts
Med-books

This is the list of books currently in use at the Faculty of Medicine, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Le?n, Monterrey, Mexico.

Anatomy - Moore (I belive Drake's is better)
Embryology - Moore
Biochem - McKee
Physyology - Guyton and Ganong
Pharmacology - Goodman
Pathology - Robbins
Microbiology - Murray
Internal Medicine - Harrison's and Cecil's
Surgery - Schwartz

Greetings from M?xico

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anatomy: Snell (for neuro too)
Physio: Sherwood complimented w/ Guyton
Biochem: Lippincott
Embryo: Langman
Pharma: Katzung (big and small)
Histo: Laeeeeqqqqq!!!
Patho: Big Robbins (Pathologic Basis of Disease)
Micro: Warren Levinson (Lange Review Book)
Clinical Methods: Hutchison's

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thought I'd share the list of books currently in use at Faculty of Medicine of Lisbon:

Anatomy - Rouvi?re (although I believe in Coimbra they use Snell) plus Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy

Physiology - Guyton and sometimes Berne and Levy

Biochemistry - Devlin and Lehningher

Molecular Biology - Cooper

Biostathistics - this is so lame that doesn't require a book. Anyway, I borrowed Zar's from my sister, and the teacher said it was ok.

So far, that's all I have to share. :p

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anatomy :lasts's anatomy,Snell's clinical anatomy.
Physiology :Guyton
Biochemistry :harper's biochemistry and lippincott's at times.
Pharmacology -
Pathology -
Histology- difore and Medical histology by dr.Liaq Siddique
Embryology :Langman's of corse
Internal Medicine -

Pharmacology- Katzung ( i wonder how one can manage to work up with Goodman...such a huge book#roll )
pathology- Robbins
Microbiology- Levinson

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey! I use the ones my school recomends, also some others:
Anato: Latarjet-Ruiz Liard; Moore.
Embryo: Langman; Carlson
Bioch: McKee
Pharma: Lippincot!; Rang
Physio: Guyton (yeah)
Microbiology: Murray
Immunology: Goldsby-Kuby; Abbas-Lichtman
Hysto: Gartner
By now, I guess that's all...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anatomy : keith L moore and bd churasiya plus Mcminn and Netter`s atlas
Physiology: Guyton and Ganong
Biochem: Harper and Lipincott
Histology: Laeeq Hussain
Embryo: keith L Morre
phama: katzung text,review and Lipincott
Microbio: Jawetz(or levinson)
Patho: Robbins
Forensic: Umar Khan
Community medicine: Naveed Sarwar and park review(i hate this subject)

·
Registered
64 Posts
For those medical students in Pakistan...how did you pass a biochem exam buy just reading Lippincott? Impossible.....And is this Sherwood character really better than Guyton?Guyton v. Ganong? Opinions?Laiq Hussain is my principal....he wrote the GA/Embryo/Histo books that people usually use in Punjab...imagine my vivas with him......oh it was terrible.Langhman divides the evolution differently than paki books (Laiq or Mumtaz)..on exams we get asked what happened specifically in each week 3..4..ect...if you read langhman you can't answer that. What do you guys think abt "shortcut" books?

·
Registered
173 Posts
For those medical students in Pakistan...how did you pass a biochem exam buy just reading Lippincott? Impossible.....And is this Sherwood character really better than Guyton?Guyton v. Ganong? Opinions?Laiq Hussain is my principal....he wrote the GA/Embryo/Histo books that people usually use in Punjab...imagine my vivas with him......oh it was terrible.Langhman divides the evolution differently than paki books (Laiq or Mumtaz)..on exams we get asked what happened specifically in each week 3..4..ect...if you read langhman you can't answer that. What do you guys think abt "shortcut" books?
Biochem...one CAN pass it just by following lippinoctt but it doesnt work so well usually. in 1st yr, Mustaq's biochem serves the purpose well ( but to get more than just passing, one must go to Harper too,at least to some extent) but in 2ndyr, Harper is a MUST, to do something really good in the written exam as well as in the viva.:happy:

Sherwood... it aint really beter than Guyton. not at all #yes its kinda review book, so i doesnt provide all the details which we are supposed to study at this stage. second, its more clinically oriented than needed again at this level.though its interesting to read and the explanatory style i.e flow sheets, tables, etc is bit easier to grasp but at the end, u wont be knowing the details of many things which u are supposed to learn. so beter, go for Guyton...its the best! ENUF. and if somebody feels like its too lengthy with crappy details, one should read it once, highlight or underline the worth-studying points and the next time, it wont be diffcult at all to revise it. and last but not the least, the proof of Gutyon being the best is apparent in the thread itself...see, people use different books for diff. subjects but for physio, almost everybody has written Guyton. its rocks!
Ganong....no need at all.its a review book, for post-graduates not under-graduates...though some of the teachers might be fond of asking things from it, but in the prof, theres absolutely no need to open this book till the time you are an under-graduate.this books contains much more than is actually required by us to know. okay

in 1st year, as per custom in Punjab medical colleges, its better rather best to study from dr.liaq's book. its enough for the writen as well as the viva thingy. no need to waste the time by opening Langeman for general Embryology. but but but....in 2nd yr, for Special Embryology, its a MUST. the one and only Langemam's serves the purpose quite well and i mean it #cool

i guess i have answered all the questions....#roll

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Anatomy : keith L moore and bd churasiya plus Mcminn and Netter`s atlas
Physiology: Guyton and Ganong
Biochem: Harper and Lipincott
Histology: Laeeq Hussain
Embryo: keith L Morre
phama: katzung text,review and Lipincott
Microbio: Jawetz(or levinson)
Patho: Robbins
Forensic: Umar Khan
Community medicine: Naveed Sarwar and park review(i hate this subject)
This is basically the best combination. For anatomy you can also use Richard Snell's Clinical Anatomy for Medical Students, and for Forensics also there's Naseeb Awan and Parikh's Textbook of Medical Jurisprudence.

Otherwise, perfect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
These are the books I used for my first year in dentistry :

Biology
  • Genetics: a conceptual approach. Pierce B.A
  • Human parasitology. Bogitsh B.J.' Cheng T.C.
( Making time machine to go back and kill "Johann Mendal" as he has made my life hell !! )

Chemistry #sorry
  • Chemistry. An Introduction to General, Organic and Biological Chemistry. Timberlake KC, Benjamin Cummings
  • Bioanalytical chemistry. Manz A,Pamme N
Biophysics #confused

• Biophysics. An Introduction. Cotterill
Histology :scared:
  • Histology: a text and atlas. Michael H. Ross, Gordon I. Kaye
Embriology#baffled

• Langman's Medical Embriology. T.W. Sadler Lippincott Williams
Normal Anatomy
  • Gray's Anatomy for Students. Richard Drake
  • Clinical Neuroanatomy. Paul.A. Young:confused:
  • Grant's Atlas of Anatomy. Aguar, Anne M.R
but on the side I alos use :
  • Netter's CD atlas
  • BRS Neuro Anatomy:depressed:
  • Clinical oriented Anatomy. keith L moore
  • Power points presentaions from the tutor
Medical Informatics
  • Guide to Health Informatics. Enrico Coiera
Norm of Occlusion and Function of Stomatognatic System :7up:

1. Dental Anatomy - Its Relevance to dentistry, F.B Woelgel, rickne. C. Schied
  2. Major M Ash, Jr. and Stanley J. Nelson: Wheeler's Dental Anatomy, Physiology and Occlusion 8th edition,
Latin Language :sad:
  • Latin. Teach Yourself Books, Hodder and Stoughton! (ohh God Why do we have to learn Latin on top of everything)
Psychology :upset:
  • Zimbardo P.: Psychology & Life, Allyn&Bacon
History and Propaedeutics of Medicine :sick:
  • Magner Lois N. A History of Medicine./Second Edition/.: Taylor&Francis,
Sociology
  • Cockerham William:.Medical sociology.
I should probably go back and put my face Back in my books got a TEST on Nero Anatomy on Monday but got all the excuses in the world to be away from books! oh ALLAH (God) I am so gonna fail!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
A question people, can anyone give his/her input on the essentials of medical physiology by K and Prema Sembulingam.... i believe the publisher is Jaypee

I know i know guyton physiology followers are like in biblical proportions and i'm too an enthusiat of it but sometimes it does get a little too verbose

awaiting comments of the above mentioned book

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Hmm wish I knew about it Danny, but yeah I stick to Guyton or Ganong myself. You're right about Guyton though, just have to get used to filtering out the extra stuff. Rule of thumb, if you turn the page and see a dog attached to a bunch of electrodes and graphs with more than two axes on them along with a picture of a bunsen burner with a few boiling beakers, it's a clear sign that it's time to move on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
lol rizvan @ the dog with the electrode parts... hahaa
I was so there...

Maybe some of our indian friends can help, as Jaypee is an indian publisher...

Once again thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best per category - in my humble opinion

Not every category has a 'super-text', but the following do:

Physiology:

Medical Physiology by Guyton, of course. No need to go to any other text. Just let the master of physiology teach it all to you in plain English. Just superb.

Pathology:
BRS Pathology
. Classic. Just supplement w/ slides or whatever slides text everyone else uses

Internal Medicine:
The Consult Manual of Internal Medicine
by Rosen. All in one wards and usmle prep book. Just fantastic. Goes just deep enough into pathophys and treatments. An easy read as well.

Emergency Medicine:
Pocket Emergency Medicine
by Zane. A great handbook. Concise and portable.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts