Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some information, and if those already in the MBBS program, could help me out I'd be highly obliged. After the five years of med school, what happens next? What is the house-job exactly? Also what are the postgraduate programs that follow MBBS, and how do you go about them?

·
Registered
86 Posts
House Job is basically an internship like thing, you can't start your clinical practice until you complete your house job. It comprises of 4 clinical rotations of 3 months each. The minimum possible time you can complete your house job in, is one year. (If you don't take any breaks between the rotations)

Rotations of Medicine and Surgery are compulsory (not sure though), the other two can be done in any department you prefer. Candidates looking to join a specific department are chosen on merit basis. You can do your house job in a hospital of your choice, it doesn't necessarily have to be the hospital associated with the college you graduated in.

I don't know much about the post graduate programs, i'll try answering though. Post-grad can be M.Phil if you want to teach or get into research programs or FCPS (Part 1 and Part 2) if you want to join the clinical side. FCPS part 1 is an MCQ based test that has questions from all the subjects you study in MBBS - it's a general exam and can only be given after one year of completing your final MBBS year (not before that). So people usually prepare for the exam during their house job (that is, if they have time). xD
FCPS Part 2 is subject specific. You can choose any subject you want to give this exam in, it is the subject you want to specialize in, basically.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has been most enlightening! Thank you so much, this is the most awareness I've got. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts