Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am currently in 12th grade in the USA and I am very interested in doing MBBS in Pakistan. I am currently working on completing my requirements(physics), as I have already taken Biology and Chemistry in previous years. So, I have been looking around on this website and I am really nervous about my IBCC conversion that I will get after graduation. The thing is, I have gone on the website and looked at the document with the formulas. However, they say that they have 3 different formulas for North America. One being 90-100%=80.75%, another A+=80.75%, A=75%, and A-=70%. and they have another one that I dont recall from the top of my head. But anyways, this makes me really nervous because although I do have A's in all of my pre-med subjects, ie biology chem and english so far, In 9th grade Honors Biology my transcript shows an A-. I know the competition is tough, and I am really scared that they will give me a 70% conversion score for my biology. For all years of English I have also received A marks, but in 11th grade AP Composition I receieved another A-. Will the A- hurt me if I'm from the USA, or will they use the 90-100% conversion formula thus giving me a 80.75%. I saw this year's merit list for PTAP, and it was unbelievably high. I just hope next year the merit goes down, I mean the merit can't rise much can it? My parents have a really touch financial situation, so although they are willing to pay if I get through HEC, I really don't want to make them suffer like that. I feel its my obligation to help them in anyway possible, and I also have a strong interest in the medical field and human health. That is why I am putting all of my hopes and dreams on getting accepted through PTAP next year. I really hope that I get a good equililance score, I know sometimes the guys sitting in Islamabad don't exactly go by the books, and give marks depending on their mood or whatever.
Oh, another question, since I was unsatisfied with my biology grade in high school, I am currently taking Biology 300 at the local community college in addition to my current high school courses. I've heard of people taking a community college course and then transferring it to their transcript. If I do this, would it help with my equivilance, as they deduct less marks from college courses? The problem is that it is only a semester course, not a year course. Though technically, most of the time a semester course in CC is equal to that of a year long course in high school. I am also planning on taking the AP biology test in May and praying for a 5, as well as taking the SAT 2's and hoping for the best.

Sorry for the rambling, but Ive searched this forum for days and couldnt find an exact answer for my question. Ok thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey! so I don't know much about the PTAP and all of that stuff because I didn't apply through it. But from the grades that you have I think that InshaAllah you'll be fine. Yes the competition is tough but have faith in Allah, if He has a spot reserved for you than no one else can take your spot. My advice is don't worry about it too much because its not going too do anything. Just pray a lot and make sure that your SAT scores are really good because from personal experience Ive see that that is what counts. Also not sure about the community college conversion but its worth a try. If you have any relatives there that would be wiling to go the offices of the colleges you're interested in and personally ask the people there that would be best. From what I recall I don't think that they really took my AP score in to account so yes make sure you get a good grade in that class but don't stress too much about the May exam. Use Ap Bio to help study for the SAT Bio. I hope this helped and feel free to ask more, Ill help as much as I can.:) And also my highschool transcript was def not as amazing as yours and Alhumdulillah I got in, so really don't be so nervous about it:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.