Medical Students Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey im a student of 3rd year , interested for internship in u.s.a ( any observation or a research elective for which a 3rd year is eligible) please guide me and let me know how to enroll myself there or any procedure related to it
i'll be obliged thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello everyone.i just joined and i'm compeletely new to this.i've passed my MBBS and am currently doing internship in Nepal.i'm planning on studying for USMLE after my internship is over.i also want to go for observership in the US. can you please give me some info about observership in the US??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I am a Third Year Medical student in Pakistan. I want to go for clinical electives in a US hospital in summers of 2012. I want to get residency in 'General Surgery' in a US hospital in Future INSHALLAH.
I want to know that at this stage (3rd Year M.B.B.S) which field would be the best for me to do clinical electives so that in the future my chances of getting a U.S Residency becomes bright in "General Surgery"?
As General Surgery is taught in Fifth Year M.B.B.S in Pakistan would it be the right option for me to apply for clinical electives in "General Surgery in 3rd Year"? If not then which field would be the most suitable?
I am expecting help from everyone who has an answer especially Rehan bhai :) or Rizwan bhai :)
Thanks a lot in advance :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
china mbbs student

i am studying mbbs in china.final year student.
i want to do elective in usa
1) i have hand made passport not the computerized new passport.can i apply for usa visa with this passport or should he get the computerized one from pakistan.
2) from where should i apply for usa visa...china or pakistan?whats the best????embassy usually says that its beter to apply from home country ...
1)
in pakistan students usually get 5 year multiple entry visa to usa because of elective but its not normal routine for embassy in china to find a student applying for usa visa for elective.

2) we are allowed to do 1 year internship in pakistan or where ever we want so...so i am confused that even if i am accepted for my visa but dont get my pasport for many many months then how can i be able to do my other internships

plz email me
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it possible to get an elective?

Is it possible to get an elective placement whether Clinical or Research in the US, while I'm not in my Final Year?? I'm study in Egypt. (Cairo University)

By the end of this academic year, I will be have finished Anatomy , Physiology, Histology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Parasitology, Community medicine, Forensics and Toxicology, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Pediatrics and Gynecology/OB as well as introduction courses to Internal medicine and Surgery .

If possible, Can somebody tell me which schools and Universities that may accept me??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I'm new to this site and joined pretty much because I was clueless on the clinical electives issue. Very useful so far. Thanks a lot,
I have a list of hospitals/schools that accept international students (currently I am in 4th year in Pakistan, just started) and my question is, what is an appropriate time to start applying? Is a year in advance too early? Also, would it benefit one who has Canadian citizenship?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Is it possible to get an elective placement whether Clinical or Research in the US, while I'm not in my Final Year?? I'm study in Egypt. (Cairo University)

By the end of this academic year, I will be have finished Anatomy , Physiology, Histology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Parasitology, Community medicine, Forensics and Toxicology, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Pediatrics and Gynecology/OB as well as introduction courses to Internal medicine and Surgery .

If possible, Can somebody tell me which schools and Universities that may accept me??

Thanks in advance
Mina, the list of schools that will accept international students is constantly changing. The best advice I have for you at this point is to contact some schools that you are interested in via e-mail and ask them whether they accept international students for clinical electives or not. You have completed many clinical rotations already so you should have no problem qualifying for a clinical elective if the school does accept international students.

The Mount Sinai Teaching Hospital in New York is one that has a good track record of accepting international students. You may want to try them first!

So I'm new to this site and joined pretty much because I was clueless on the clinical electives issue. Very useful so far. Thanks a lot,
I have a list of hospitals/schools that accept international students (currently I am in 4th year in Pakistan, just started) and my question is, what is an appropriate time to start applying? Is a year in advance too early? Also, would it benefit one who has Canadian citizenship?
Thanks.
Canadian citizenship should help a lot since I believe that will allow you to enter the U.S. for 90 days without a visa. Your elective would be shorter than 90 days so that shouldn't be a problem. As far as when to start applying, I would suggest 6-8 months prior if you have visa issues and 3-4 months prior if you do not. Some schools however do require a much earlier timeline for the elective placement process.

The most a U.S. medical school will tell you if you apply too early is to contact them closer to your intended start date, so there is really no harm in applying sooner.

Since you just started 4th year, you have some time. I would recommend you just start contacting schools to see exactly what their requirements are (do you need to show prior immunization record, do you need to secure your own malpractice insurance, etc) and make a list of places you would prefer to go and which specialty you would like to be placed in. Then as you get closer you can begin asking for their application forms and start filling them out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
innowadays, Many medical collages are providing medical insurance to their students but almost 70 t0 80 percent students are unaware from these types of insurance updates. Its a request to all those students who want to go medical collages just take a eye on this thing.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts