Medical Students Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are there any forms of electives that a 3rd year can do in the US? (I am in a 5 year MD course in Europe)
Are research electives allowed?

How do you go about applying for those and finding the appropriate depts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
travel grants for medical students

Hi all.. my name is Nada Qawasmi, Iam a fifth year medical student from palestine..
iam new to the forum.. but i really like the topics so far..
Iam sending to ask if anyone knows organizations that help students do their elective courses in different countries.. by for example giving travel grants or any financial assistance.. i did search the web.. n found so many but none actually worked..
thanks in advance
Nada

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
hey
Im a 3rd year medical student .
I was wondering is it possible to do some electives after 3rd year??? In Canada or US??? Any sort of elective clinical or research is what in looking for. So far not getting much help.
Yes, it is possible to get electives after 3rd year. It just requires a lot of persistence on your part. Read the following thread: http://medstudentz.com/medical-students-area/34-how-i-obtained-clinical-research-experience-us.html

If you're actually serious about getting an elective read through that thread. It's basically a step by step guide on how to get an elective. Any question that you have has almost certainly been answered already. Good luck!

YOu can't in third year. Some programs will allow you in the fourth year, most accept international's in their last year. Third year, probably no chance.
Not true.

It is entirely possible to get electives in third year. In fact some people even start doing electives in 2nd year. There are pros and cons to starting electives early as compared to waiting until you have further experience, but in either case it is possible to get electives.

Hi all.. my name is Nada Qawasmi, Iam a fifth year medical student from palestine..
iam new to the forum.. but i really like the topics so far..
Iam sending to ask if anyone knows organizations that help students do their elective courses in different countries.. by for example giving travel grants or any financial assistance.. i did search the web.. n found so many but none actually worked..
thanks in advance
Nada
Welcome to the forum Nada!

Unfortunately, since an elective is solely for your own benefit you are expected to bear all costs of traveling, room & board, etc. yourself. I haven't heard of any organizations that are willing to provide travel grants. Sounds really nice though! #yes

If programs like that actually exist hopefully someone else on the forum has some information about them...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Observerships?

Can anyone please tell me if there are any hospitals/medical schools in America that accept International Medical Students for observerships? Im in 2nd year and I wanted to do an observership. I can't do a clinical elective until ive done some clinical rotations in 3rd and 4th year. Please help me out. Thanks, Talha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok so im new here too, and a 4th year med student at AKU. needed to know how early it is feasible to apply if i want my electives to begin late november?

·
Registered
1 Posts
#yes
Malpractice insurance is a type of security that you pay to an insurance company in case you make some sort of a mistake while treating/examining a patient which causes the patient harm. If you do, the patient then has the option to sue you- meaning he has a right to demand monetary compensation, which the insurance company will pay for you, since you paid them the malpractice insurance.

You need to pay that if you want to do a clinical elective and want to have significant patient interaction.
thanks its clear God bless you

·
Registered
347 Posts
yeah., iam also confused, wanna know which medical colleges accept pakistani students for electives!!
These are the colleges accepting students for electives

University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester
Application + Requirements

Albany Medical College

Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Electives for Foreign Medical students
They also sponsor your J1 visa for the electives

New York University (NYU)
Specialties: Multiple
Application Forms

Columbia University College of Physicians + Surgeons
Only for students of these 23 Medical Schools around the world.

SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn
Fee: $175 1st Elective : $100 per additional Elective
Visas: Students are responsible for their own B1 visitors visa
Duration: 12 Weeks Maximum
Application Form & Instructions

Weill Cornell Medical College
Specialty: Multiple
Fees: 2000$ per month
Application Information

These are the only new york medical colleges there is many other from diffrent states of USA WEB is http://www.usmletomd.com/usce/2006/12/new-york-ny.html
Good luck Allah may help you all:happy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey abdallah.
my name is ralph,med 3 student, and i want to ask you a question which i think you can answer me easily :).
1-does it do me any benefit if i hold a canadian citizenship, because im planning on doing some electives abroad
2-and if yes , am i wasting my time applying now and not next year like im supposed to...
thanks in advance

·
Registered
30 Posts
These are the colleges accepting students for electives

University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester

Albany Medical College

Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Electives for Foreign Medical students
They also sponsor your J1 visa for the electives

New York University (NYU)
Specialties: Multiple
Application Forms

Columbia University College of Physicians + Surgeons
Only for students of these 23 Medical Schools around the world.

SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn
Fee: $175 1st Elective : $100 per additional Elective
Visas: Students are responsible for their own B1 visitors visa
Duration: 12 Weeks Maximum
Application Form & Instructions

Weill Cornell Medical College
Specialty: Multiple
Fees: 2000$ per month
Application Information

These are the only new york medical colleges there is many other from diffrent states of USA WEB is http://www.usmletomd.com/usce/2006/12/new-york-ny.html
Good luck Allah may help you all:happy:
JazakAllah khair for the information. Its useful for us NY residents. Do you know anything about Stony Brook medical university. It is after all, known for research. I wanted to know if they accept foreign med students for research elective..

·
Registered
5 Posts
i am in my second clinical year from Ghana and hoping to do some electives in virginia,new york, new jersey or pensylvania in november or december 2011.help me out

·
Registered
2 Posts
rotations

Heyy... I'm, new to this post and I'm currently studying in China as an IMS. I have contacted few hospitals about doing my clerkship there and many have told me they only provide electives. I'm a bit confused on that. I know my 5th year should be my clerkship to complete my medical training at my University, so where do electives come to par?

Really confused! help??
I am a med student in China in my final year.did you manage to get a clinical rotation outside china,does anyone know of any university preferably in Canada US,UK,and australia that take international med students for clinical rotations?Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
want to know that which hospitals in abroad allow 3rd year med student to do electives at their place. and whats the whole procedure to grab that opportunity.
i'll be grateful

21 - 40 of 54 Posts