Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I joined this forum a few days ago and I read thru most of all relevant threads. Some threads are upto 16 pages (i.e. MEDICAL COLLEGES IN PAKISTAN...still going thru that one...).

I live in the States and I graduated from High School in May 2000. There I had a gpa of 3.25 and did pretty good in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and English. I also took 2 AP exams: Economics and US Government, got a 3 and 2 respectively. I misplaced my diploma certificate (not that many places here actually ask for that) but I can get the transcripts from the school.

Since then I held alot of jobs so that I would pay my way thru college. I got into a pretty good University, went there for a few years... but didnt do so well since I was in another city and paid my way thru college (even after grants and loans). I got about 40 credits or so from there, but a very low gpa. I dropped out of the university and moved back with my parents and am currently holding a job there (was planning to go back to a univ; they have a pretty decent tuition reimbursement program).

A friend of mine (American born etc) went to Pakistan after completing high school here and got accepted into Sindh Medical School. He lives with is grandmother there, he only pays around 200 US dollars a year.

I am really looking into getting into Dow Medical School.

Basically my questions are this:

1. Since I am currently 24, will turn 25 in July, will that be an issue?

2. If I do not submit my college stuff, then It will be like I didnt do anything since 2000 - 2007. Except for the jobs I held (have a resume). Is this still going to be OK for DMC?

3. Is my High School credit good enough for getting into Dow? or do i need to use my university stuff as well?

4. How can one get in to a medical school there in the "foreigner" quota, yet pay the local tuition rate? He kept this information to himself.

5. What are my procedures to applying to DMC? I know I have to do the IBCC application for conversion. Can I just print and send..or do I have to go thru an embassy etc.

6. Should I/Do I have enough time to take some of the courses in community college (physics, bio, chem, etc) in the summer or mini summer sessions?

7. When should I plan on going to Karachi, Pakistan? Will I need to go to Islamabad for anything?

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hi everyone. I joined this forum a few days ago and I read thru most of all relevant threads. Some threads are upto 16 pages (i.e. MEDICAL COLLEGES IN PAKISTAN...still going thru that one...).

I live in the States and I graduated from High School in May 2000. There I had a gpa of 3.25 and did pretty good in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and English. I also took 2 AP exams: Economics and US Government, got a 3 and 2 respectively. I misplaced my diploma certificate (not that many places here actually ask for that) but I can get the transcripts from the school.

Since then I held alot of jobs so that I would pay my way thru college. I got into a pretty good University, went there for a few years... but didnt do so well since I was in another city and paid my way thru college (even after grants and loans). I got about 40 credits or so from there, but a very low gpa. I dropped out of the university and moved back with my parents and am currently holding a job there (was planning to go back to a univ; they have a pretty decent tuition reimbursement program).

A friend of mine (American born etc) went to Pakistan after completing high school here and got accepted into Sindh Medical School. He lives with is grandmother there, he only pays around 200 US dollars a year.

I am really looking into getting into Dow Medical School.

Basically my questions are this:

1. Since I am currently 24, will turn 25 in July, will that be an issue?

2. If I do not submit my college stuff, then It will be like I didnt do anything since 2000 - 2007. Except for the jobs I held (have a resume). Is this still going to be OK for DMC?

3. Is my High School credit good enough for getting into Dow? or do i need to use my university stuff as well?

4. How can one get in to a medical school there in the "foreigner" quota, yet pay the local tuition rate? He kept this information to himself.

5. What are my procedures to applying to DMC? I know I have to do the IBCC application for conversion. Can I just print and send..or do I have to go thru an embassy etc.

6. Should I/Do I have enough time to take some of the courses in community college (physics, bio, chem, etc) in the summer or mini summer sessions?

7. When should I plan on going to Karachi, Pakistan? Will I need to go to Islamabad for anything?

Thanks in advance..
1. Not sure if 25 is limit of the last year you can apply. I think the rules state cannot be older than 25. Not sure if rule is 25 or older. Your pushing it close though.

2. Your college stuff is pretty much USELESS.

3. High School is all they consider unless you took Physics, Biology or Chemistry in Uni.

4. You cannot get a seat on a foreigner quota AND pay local tuition. Complete lie. He is either on a local seat paying local tuition or he is on a foreigner seat paying $$$.

5. Print what?? No way man you need to go to an IBCC office in person with your ORIGINAL documents, including diploma and high school transcripts sealed from school.

6. If you already taken them before why take them again?

7. You will have to apply for foreigner seat through the HEC in Islamabad. I think you can mail your application though. IBCC Offices are all over Pakistan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your reply. Looks like my friend's family there is influencial and got him in without any merit check etc... so that I hear.

As far as taking the courses again.. I didnt know if that could better my chances of getting in; taking them in community college and getting all As. As far as I remember.. I had As and Bs for those classes in High School, but a soso gpa... 3.25/4 (was in top 25%).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have gotten all my sealed high school transcripts today. I am looking for my diploma (I hope I can find that - cause they dont keep copies at the school).

One other important question.... I am to go to Karachi for IBCC office and then thru HEC. What month should I leave here? and what is my time frame for IBCC process and the HEC process?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Just to clarify the age limit issue:

You must not be 26 years old or older when you apply for any medical college in Pakistan. You CAN be 25. You must be between the years of 17 and 25, inclusive.

So if you're 16 or younger or 26 or older, you cannot attend ANY medical college in Pakistan.

·
Registered
132 Posts
alternatively, one can consider Aga khan University since i've heard that they dont have an age limit... although the fees for foreigners is very expensive ... almost around $20 000 US/-

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts