Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys! i've been hearing of it alot!

the question is: does the staff and student body of paki med schools try deliberately to make the lives of foreigners more dificult? i need hard facts! with reference to ke cuz thats where ill be going.

·
Registered
62 Posts
from my own experience you have two options:
1- assimilate; look like them, act like them
2- don't give a damn, you are here to study and don't expect it to be fun......

i went to some crappy academy here and everyone including the teachers picked on me and i hear it's like that at KE too. my advise to you is, don't let it get to you!

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
not as long as you try your best to fit in. The only foreigners that stick out are the ones that walk around with the All-American Pride attitude, refuse to speak in Urdu, and talk crap on Pakistan. Those are the things they look for, so avoid them.

Also, they assume that since you're a foreigner, you don't study, but if you study from the very beginning you won't have any trouble. Actually, if you study hard right from the start, they won't even really care if you do do all those other things you shouldn't be! :)

Impression is everything.

·
Registered
415 Posts
This is sort of a foreigner question.

Is it feasible (without much difficulty) to get high speed internet in Lahore? (Kind of like in America w/cable or dsl, or is it kind of out of the question?)

·
Registered
62 Posts
my experience in lahore the best is worldcall, ive never seen downloads more then 50 but it's overall a lot better. it's a cable modem and if u don't want wireless its pretty simple.

if u want wireless, im using a linksys router which pretty much covers my whole house. ther is a new company called wateen and you can get a DAP which is like a wireless hotspot.

·
Registered
415 Posts
awesome! Thanks guys. About the rate system tho, at home I'm on A LOT every day, and I know since I'll be at med. school I probably won't be online for nearly as much time, but theoretically assuming that I'm on like 24/7, does the rate come out to a reasonable amount or is it expensive by American standards ($40-50/month) ?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Money makes the torrents work #wink

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if u wana live in the hostels i doubt ull get any connection in ur room..cuz they wont let any kinda wire come into ur room.........so ull have to use that wireless stuff which is as fast as the crummiest broadband u can get.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You get can mobilink or ufone unlimited GPRS plans and just connect your cell phone to your computer through a USB cable if your in the hostels and you will have a decent internet connection for surfing, checking emails etc.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
or you can get something like VPTCL which is like a wireless landline phone that you can connect to ur computer and its as fast as a 256 kb broadband connection and u can also use it as a normal telephone

·
Registered
539 Posts
or you can get something like VPTCL which is like a wireless landline phone that you can connect to ur computer and its as fast as a 256 kb broadband connection and u can also use it as a normal telephone
I hear it works more like a 115 kbps line and it also depends a lot where you are location wise but ya its also an option

·
Registered
72 Posts
People at the KE boys hostel have internet. A local internet cafe gives a wireless signal down the road, but a booster is required. The download speed is ok, but kinda pricey due to the monopoly.

I myself have the world cable modem service. I pay 1500/month for 200kbs, download speed around 25kbs. But they have the deal where u pay 6 months in advance then they double everything. So 40kps is not bad, well it sux in comparison to the 2.3mbs download back home #sad

Before that i tried the vptcl wireless, a waste of time and it sux. World call wireless was even worse. Never could get a connection. Haven't heard too much about DSL though in Lahore.

Oh yea, any new students that are coming, next year they are planning to Wifi Defence, Lahore. Rumors have it that 1mbs download speed. Not sure about the price though.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts