Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey asalamalaikum,

I'm just enquirin about some things on behalf of my brother, who is currently studying Computer engineering here in Australia and is in his 3rd year. He is interested in doing medicine in pakistan and he did physics and chemistry in highschool but not biology. I know for ibcc you need all 3 but is there a different pathway for those who are coming out of University rather than straight out of highschool? Is he eligible to study medicine in Pakistan by any means? If not, what would he have to do to qualify? Say for example, would doing a quick uni biology course for one semester be good enough if thats whats holding him back?

sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Two semesters of biology should allow him to get an IBCC certificate.

I don't know how old your brother is but all candidates for medical school in Pakistan must not be older than 25 at the time of admission.

·
Registered
13 Posts
well.. its not that easy to just go ahead and do it.. okay first of all u need to know the exact age of ur bro.. and then add 1 to it.. if that exceeds 25 than i would advise him to comtinue what he is doing right now.. reason being.. what Rehan already told u. and yes u need to take chemistry physics and biology to take admission in MCAT.. medical college aptitude test here.. no matter where u come from.. but u do have an edge which i will describe late in my thread. First make him see all the pros and cons of medicine.. mind u, its not that easy but its not that difficult too. U NEED TO HAVE INTEREST IN MEDICINE IF U WANNA BE A DOC.. its not sumthing that u can go ahead and get over with. be advised i m not discouraging you or ur brother, i am just telling u people to paint the whole pciture before u get into this. cause God forbid, if sumone cant make it thru medical school they r in the middle of no where. okay. so first of all ask him to narrow the line between his focus and interest in medicine. then get him enrolled in a biology course in any university. grades previously he got and those which he will get in this bio course are very important in getting the equiavelence certificate. so i would advise him to study hard for that. then once u get the grades.. go to islamabad.. get that IBCC certificate after conversition... then get him F.Sc. pre medical books from which all the questions in MCAT would come.. namely physics chemistry biology AND ENGLISH. appear in the test and InshAllah he will score good marks. now this MCAT score plus his converted IBCC score will make up his merit for the merit list. here u have a bit of edge. as in u can apply for over seas seat... and there competetion is not that much. but if ur bro has got a good score he will certainly get hooked up in one of any 9-10 medical college in punjab. then later on he can have himself migrated to any other college (govt) of his chocie after first 2 years.
or if u wish to get him admitted in any private medical college, then u can have him admitted there as well..
any questions and queries form ur side are more than welcome.. #happy
sorry about any typing or spelling mistakes i have written all this in a hurry :razz:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow thanks for the replys.

My bro is 22 so he still has a couple of years to spare in terms of gettin in on time. He is pretty commited to doing it but we had expected he'd only need to do a biology course not the mcat test as well. I've heard of mcat, it sounds a little tough but inshallah it should be ok. We'd probably be lookin towards the karachi area for admission as well (as thats where most of our relatives are).

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
You don't need to take an admissions or entrance test if you're applying as a foreign student to government medical schools.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You don't need to take an admissions or entrance test if you're applying as a foreign student to government medical schools.
So the criteria for foreigners getting admission on self finance foreign in GOVT schools is simply on the marks you get from the IBCC? or are their any other factors?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
So the criteria for foreigners getting admission on self finance in GOVT schools is simply on the marks you get from the IBCC? or are their any other factors?
Just the marks you get on your equivalence certificate from IBCC.

·
Registered
73 Posts
woaa, where did this whole medical aptitude test come in from??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so just to confirm. If he were to do say, a bachelor science course at university for one year which involved a biology subject for 2 semesters, would that be good enough? or does he actually need to do the highschool biology course for one year?

·
Registered
13 Posts
no.. a bachelor science course should be fine... and sorry about that apptitude test thing.. i forgot that u would be coming thru the embassy... thanks for correcting me Rehan. #happy

·
Registered
1 Posts
confused

hey...i was facin probs on how to apply to med skewls in pakistan...im a us citizen n hav given my alevels in lahore...i got the ibcc equivilance n awl...im not in lahore at this tym so im pretty confused if i hav to giv my entrance exams to the private medical colleges or the mcat coz i havent given a sat as yet...can u plz guide me on this problem itll be a big help...thnx!:happy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts