Medical Students Forums banner

881 - 891 of 891 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why is it that very few foreigners are applying to shifa this year? :S
There were many applying few years back..Has it something to do with the standard of shifa dropping down etc?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Anybody have any new pictures to share for us international people? :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes! New pictures please? it looks decrepit in the pictures from 2007!
Yes it actually was decrepit :p the last time I went there.
No proper campus life, even the lecture rooms seemed too outdated. This is one thing besides the not so good clinicals that prevented some people i know from joining it.
Someone who's already studying there, please do share the latest pics and tell a bit about their clinicals as well, I know it's great in Basic Sciences. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I'm madiha from karachi. I'm dental Student 1st professional. I'm doing my dentistry from Dow University of health sciences. Since we're shifting to Islamabad i wanted to ask is it possible to get migration to shifa medical college or any other good medical college of Islamabad ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shifa Female Hostel Report

I had quite the interesting visit to the College and Hostel these last two days. After finally convincing them that I needed to visit the hostel before I was supposed to move into it and then waiting until someone could show us the way (apparently I had come at a really bad time for them).
What follows is an extremely detailed report of an outsider's view of the female hostel. I only spent about half an hour at the hostels so the report is not infallible (therefore it is fallible?).

The drive from the college to the female hostel takes exactly 5 minutes and passes by a fairly large market and park-sort-of-thingy. There are four houses sort of connected at the end of St. 98 (a dead-end street) in I8/4. Currently there are a total of 53 girls living there with supposedly 2 girls per room.

Each of the four houses has a separate small kitchen (for the girls' personal use) with a stove and fridge and a common room with a TV and cushions/chairs (not cable TV, apparently the room is used for studying?).

Curfew
The gates close at 10 pm but I'm not quite sure what happens if you just stay out all night?

Transportation
There is a Shifa bus that takes the girls from the hostel in the morning to the college and brings them back at 2-3pm. Apparently every Wednesday is "shopping day" and the bus goes to different parts of the city (Jinnah market, etc) for the shopping needs of the girls.

Food & Water
There is one male cook who cooks in the largest kitchen (separate from the other smaller kitchens in each house) for all the hostel members. Supposedly, all the girls decide the week's menu together depending on their tastes. There is a dining room where all the girls are supposed to eat together? From what I understood, lunch is provided at the college and not the hostels. The main kitchen closes at 10 pm and thats why the smaller kitchens in each hostel are up for use then.
I didn't quite understand what the whole deal with the water was. They said something about every girl having their own big Nestle bottle and then every time it was emptied having to pay one of the guards/servants to go fill it. Anyone know anything about this?

Extra Services
No cable TV.
No sort of internet.
No real phone services. Everyone is expected to rely on their own cell phones.
But, any student can pay for their own connection services to their room.
A woman is available for the laundry and ironing but has to be paid Rs. 400/month.
There are 4 male guards/helpers.

Rooms
The rooms themselves are fairly large and are supposed to house two girls each.
They are furnished with 2 single beds & mattresses, bed side tables and 2 study desks.
Roommates are not assigned and you can room with whoever you like after telling the warden. Every room has a padlock on it and each roommate has a key.
Many rooms have AC's but I think a few don't. Every room has a gas heater.

Bathrooms
Every room has it's own bathroom (ie. two girls per bathroom) with a sink, toilet and showerhead. The one I saw was in pretty good condition.

What to Bring
Each girl is supposed to bring their own sheets, pillows and blankets.
Apparently none of the hostel dishes are allowed to be taken to the rooms so everyone is supposed to bring their own plate, glass etc if you want to eat anything in your room.
Many girls had their own mini-fridge and microwave in their room as well as other furnishings (bookshelf, etc). [Just some ideas about what you might want.]

Dates
Dec 1: Hostels open for new students to move in
Dec 2: Orientation
Dec 3: Classes begin

I took a few pictures of the hostel but can't get them uploaded here. So if other girls are interested just message me and I'd be happy to share.
HEY can I like see what the hostel looks like I Menander the pictures

881 - 891 of 891 Posts