Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually scramble day was not so exciting. Scramble day is for residency seekers. All the left over residency seats are released. If you have not gotten a call for residency, today was your big day. My cousin and I celebrated scramble day today.
This is how it works. The lists of all left over residency seats are released at 12 PM eastern standard time. Most final decisions made to fill in these seats are made before 3 PM.
Your Goal: To send all the left over residency spots all your documents, so they will consider you for there program. Send as many as you can. In the 3 hour window.
Todays game story: My cousin needed to celebrate scramble day because he didnt get any exciting calls for residency. So we prepared ahead of time, by making zipped files of all his documents. Scramble day for us in Chicago began at 11 AM because of the time difference. I got called out of school early, so we could be most efficient. We had 2 computers with high speed internet, a Fax machine, and 3 phone lines. When we got the list of unfilled residency spots, we had to call them, talk to the program director if he wasnt already on the other line, Email or fax all necessary documents to ALL the programs with open spots. And there are alot of open spots left. We were sending emails crazy fast, making phone calls and leaving messages at lightening speeds, So we could send the documents to as many programs as possible. It was a race against the clock. We managed to send over 150 emails, and dozens of calls... We worked like crazy mice! And then when it was 2 our day was up. The east coast offices had already closed and made most of their final decisions.People all over the country were fighting for these seats.

Lets hope for the best. Hope to get some good news calls tomorrow

:happy:

·
Registered
127 Posts
scramble spots usually go to ppl who know someone in the program ... did u guys go for everything or did u limit to a few specialities? prelim surgery had around 480 spots and at the end of the day only 45 are left ! family medicine started with 304 and 65 are left ...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Actually scramble day was not so exciting. Scramble day is for residency seekers. All the left over residency seats are released. If you have not gotten a call for residency, today was your big day. My cousin and I celebrated scramble day today.
This is how it works. The lists of all left over residency seats are released at 12 PM eastern standard time. Most final decisions made to fill in these seats are made before 3 PM.
Your Goal: To send all the left over residency spots all your documents, so they will consider you for there program. Send as many as you can. In the 3 hour window.
Todays game story: My cousin needed to celebrate scramble day because he didnt get any exciting calls for residency. So we prepared ahead of time, by making zipped files of all his documents. Scramble day for us in Chicago began at 11 AM because of the time difference. I got called out of school early, so we could be most efficient. We had 2 computers with high speed internet, a Fax machine, and 3 phone lines. When we got the list of unfilled residency spots, we had to call them, talk to the program director if he wasnt already on the other line, Email or fax all necessary documents to ALL the programs with open spots. And there are alot of open spots left. We were sending emails crazy fast, making phone calls and leaving messages at lightening speeds, So we could send the documents to as many programs as possible. It was a race against the clock. We managed to send over 150 emails, and dozens of calls... We worked like crazy mice! And then when it was 2 our day was up. The east coast offices had already closed and made most of their final decisions.People all over the country were fighting for these seats.

Lets hope for the best. Hope to get some good news calls tomorrow

:happy:
Wow! Sounds crazy. But it also sounds like you guys ment business and you were very prepared! That's very good. I wish your cousin much luck in getting in the program of his choice. #yes

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Docsak03. man it was a crazy day, we sent everything to every family medicine program that had any seats left, and all internal med, all prelim internal med, and all prelim surgury. MNRP.org or whatever was updating the list every hour. Man the seats were going FAST! They were dropping like 20-30 per hour in family, prelim surgury, n stuff. After 4 pm our time in chicago, the seats stopped dropping. The crazy thing was, that there were SO many programs that left all thier seats unfilled. New york had like 3 programs with no seats filled at all. tahts ALOT of seats, especially for IMGS, they would take residency in anything, anywhere. I talked to one other IMG, he had both scores in the 90's, passed step 3, and worked in the states for a year. he didunt get any calls. After we heard that even the best qualified couldnt get residencys. The thing is, you really need to have a green card, or citizenship. if u have that, you can get any spot you want. Most programs tend to not want to sponsor people.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wow, very valuable information! I'm shocked about the guy who got 90's in both steps and completed step3 and didn't get a spot. That's really something.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ha thats really concerning. mine sis class fellow had taken 99% in 1st step and 96% in 2nd step. she wanted surgery as she really good at it here in nishtar but they did not give her surgery inspite of that she was given match.
actually uk now not taking students so whole burden on usa. so at least above 95% required. mine sis saying its now trend to get 99% . dont know how possible. #sad

·
Registered
127 Posts
Docsak03. man it was a crazy day, we sent everything to every family medicine program that had any seats left, and all internal med, all prelim internal med, and all prelim surgury. MNRP.org or whatever was updating the list every hour. Man the seats were going FAST! They were dropping like 20-30 per hour in family, prelim surgury, n stuff. After 4 pm our time in chicago, the seats stopped dropping. The crazy thing was, that there were SO many programs that left all thier seats unfilled. New york had like 3 programs with no seats filled at all. tahts ALOT of seats, especially for IMGS, they would take residency in anything, anywhere. I talked to one other IMG, he had both scores in the 90's, passed step 3, and worked in the states for a year. he didunt get any calls. After we heard that even the best qualified couldnt get residencys. The thing is, you really need to have a green card, or citizenship. if u have that, you can get any spot you want. Most programs tend to not want to sponsor people.

scramble is all about connections .. i was talking to a resident from NY and he said that his program gave all their positions to ppl they knew or the faculty or residents knew or somthin like that ... im just waitin for sep to apply again ..

·
Registered
57 Posts
ya i am also keen to know how people take 99% in steps. trend#angry that is also very annoying for me also . how really difficult. 3 people i personally know who did score 99. lets c .#sad

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
ya i am also keen to know how people take 99% in steps. trend#angry that is also very annoying for me also . how really difficult. 3 people i personally know who did score 99. lets c .#sad

Just remember, scores aren't always the most important thing. Interviews, first impressions, how you sound over the phone, whether or not you've done electives with them- or anywhere else, all have an impact. A 99 is a great thing but it won't seal the deal 100% of the time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
u are perfectly right bro. electives count very much and the way u give interview plus above 90 or even 95% marks u hav very good chances. i suggest every one intending to do usmle must do electives. it really help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts