Medical Students Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So how do I utilise my vacations in productive way? I'm done with first semester. I'm pretty familiar with physio, ana and biochem. What exactly you do in research electives, anyway? You already have a topic in your mind and you work on it during your electives, is that it?
I'm thinking of doing a research to increase my chances of a good match. My colleagues are already working on projects. Can you please guide me on how to go about it?
I'm thinking to present my work in 3rd Molecular Medicine and Drug Research In ICCS, University of Karachi in Jan, 2011.
For more info about the mentioned symposium, www.iccs.edu

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hii there,

I am a 2nd year medical student from india.
I will be going to the US this summer 2011 for the purpose of greencard. I will have to be staying there for around 2 months. I want to do something productive in that time, and I'm planning on doing a research elective somewhere. I'm interested in neuroscience and cancer biology.

Can you please suggest good places, and more importantly, how to go about applying for the RE?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So how do I utilise my vacations in productive way? I'm done with first semester. I'm pretty familiar with physio, ana and biochem. What exactly you do in research electives, anyway? You already have a topic in your mind and you work on it during your electives, is that it?
I'm thinking of doing a research to increase my chances of a good match. My colleagues are already working on projects. Can you please guide me on how to go about it?
I'm thinking to present my work in 3rd Molecular Medicine and Drug Research In ICCS, University of Karachi in Jan, 2011.
For more info about the mentioned symposium, Official Website of ICCBS Institutions
thanks ammara this info was really helpfull .... i am a freshman at DMC too.... just had my first module.... anyways i visited the site you mentioned... and am i bit confused... should i apply for this program... as i think it'll be time consuming and you know our uni schedule 8.30 am in the morning till 3.30 pm... and being a freshman would this be helpfull???

·
Registered
2 Posts
As we normally go home for each summer/winter vacation, it's a little easier to sign up for electives. Rehan and I have both done about five electives over a span of 3 years.
i've been researching electives and most programs only accept final year students so i was wondering if you could provide names of some specific programs that will accept students in their second or 3rd year of med school....both for clinical and research electives. thanks. i am currently in the second year of medical school. i would really appreciate a reply form mastahriz or rehan!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Research elective

Hey, where can I do a research elective in Karachi? I'm a first year student of MBBS and I want to spend my time doing something interesting in my summer vacations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,
i read one of your comments. you mentioned you have done a total of 5 electives in the space of 3 years. Can i ask how you've accomplished that? I've read people commenting they're in their 1st or 2nd or 3rd year and want to do electives or research etc. But isnt it till your 4th and 5th year that your allowed to go for electives abroad? not only that isn't it a pre requisite for most institutions that students have to be in their 4th or 5th year? I'm about to start my 1st year at Shifa International Medical College. And i aim to do post grade in USA like many of my seniors and do residency in the field of my choice InshaAllah. I know for that i need a great USMLE score, Research work and electives.
So please just give me a general outline of what i have to do. There is no guidance available and as a result Google or online forums are the best source for us students. I want to fully utilize my potential. Utilize my summers, utilize my free time. Take every chance i get. One user talked about research in community medicine in Shifa, i think thats a great option. Like you said better than nothing.
Hoping to hear from you soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Asalamo Alaikum... Hope everyone's fine. I have a question....what exactly is a research elective? What does it involve? How will it help me? JazakAllahg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Asalamo Alaikum... Hope everyone's fine. I have a question....what exactly is a research elective? What does it involve? How will it help me? JazakAllah
Walikum as Salam,

From my limited knowledge, a research elective is a type of elective in which a student works with a faculty member (mentor) on one of their research projects. The research experience could include doing a literary review i.e. reading different papers on some topic and summarizing them and publishing your findings as a paper. It could include drafting a new protocol like how a doctor should treat patients or on anything of the sort. It could also include retrospective chart reviews or collecting data and analyzing it, or learning specific research procedures like how to operate PCR, make tissue cultures, or work on designing bio-markers for kidney disease or diabetes, studying the structure of an important bio-molecule, or doing research on the working mechanism of fast twitch or slow twitch muscles. The possibilities are endless. What you do in a research elective depends on what you're interested in what the professor is working on.

And in order to do a research elective, you would first need to work on a proposal with your mentor and once that is approved, take part in the research with your mentor and then write a paper about your experience and findings, and hope for it to get published. Because a publication will look really wonderful on your CV.

As for how it helps, well you learn new skills and it increases your knowledge and understanding of the concepts you've studied as you will actually be applying them and discovering something new. It also shows that you have research experience alongside clinical experience,and if you're fortunate enough to get published, you stand out of the crowd. It also helps make connections which could help in future clinical electives or residency placement.

That's all right off the top of my head. Hope this helps and isn't confusing.

Waiyyakum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in first year of medical college. Can you please guide me about how I'm going to get research or clinical internships abroad.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts