Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey...im so confused...I donno whether i should go to pindi or FJ...pindi has its pluses in that its cleaner, bigger, ill be more devoted to my work since theres nothing much to do there, my cousin goes there blah blah blah
and FJ seems nice too..its highly revered, in my city LAhore, night life (ya baby!), all women (that'll make my dad happy hi hi :happy: ) and it has a good rep.

my mom keeps calling me n asking where I want to go but im just so so so so so so

INDECISIVE

#shocked

Can someone advise on where to go?wat do u think i should do?

thx !

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I made this a new thread so you can get some advice/suggestions here.

·
Registered
539 Posts
hey...im so confused...I donno whether i should go to pindi or FJ...pindi has its pluses in that its cleaner, bigger, ill be more devoted to my work since theres nothing much to do there, my cousin goes there blah blah blah
and FJ seems nice too..its highly revered, in my city LAhore, night life (ya baby!), all women (that'll make my dad happy hi hi :happy: ) and it has a good rep.

my mom keeps calling me n asking where I want to go but im just so so so so so so

INDECISIVE

#shocked

Can someone advise on where to go?wat do u think i should do?

thx !
Depends which medical college in Rawalpindi your talking about. If its army then.. Id think twice.. If its RMC.. Then Its good. But FJ might be better in the sense that its all girls. Most pakistani guys are pretty cheap in govt colleges and stuff so tats quite annoying. As for night life, how often do you plan on going out anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i agree.... my friend in KE has had horrifying experiences, but the one in FJ actually had fun.
i don't know the teaching hospital for RMC but FJ has Ganga Ram which is not bad by pak standards (not exactly shifa) but not bad. the area around FJ is also not bad (a lot better than ke) there are some shopping places a subway, KFC etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
yo bro, don't hate on KE! lol. KE is not that bad, but it does has it downfalls. True the location is horrible (old Lahore city), but it Lahore is a pretty chill city. But it depends on where you live. If living in the hostel, than life can be pretty rough. But Lahore is a nice place to live,everyone is just laid back. Only riots you get in Lahore is if all the chicken karadi places in lahore shut down. All i know we lahories love to eat!

Been to pindi a couple of times and actually checked out RMC while i was there. Its an excellent college. Its location is nice as well, but the patient population is less due Mayo Hospital.

Ganga Ram is an excellent teaching hospital for surgical specialties. Prof. Dr. Adbul Majeed Ch. is one of the best if not the best teaching surgeons in Pakistan and this year he was snatched up by FJMC from KE. Majority of the students have actually switched there training from Mayo Hostpital to Ganga Ram Hospital because of Prof. Ch.
Insh'ALLAH after final year i plan on doing a sixth month "housejob" (training for graduates) in surgery at Ganga Ram. Not only will you learn alot, but the amount of cases and procedures that will do will really benefit you.

As far as your decision, its really up to u. But i would suggest FJMC. Reason being is that they boast an excellent teaching staff, you will really enjoy your time there, and u will learn alot after graduation.

hope this helps

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends which medical college in Rawalpindi your talking about. If its army then.. Id think twice.. If its RMC.. Then Its good. But FJ might be better in the sense that its all girls. Most pakistani guys are pretty cheap in govt colleges and stuff so tats quite annoying. As for night life, how often do you plan on going out anyway.
o I was talking about RMC....
well girls there are pretty cheap themselves so its screwed over either way... isnt it?
#confused

my cousin had trouble in KE too.. boy problems... n she said how her peers n professors would hate on her for being a foreigner and knowing how to speak english helluva lot better than they could.....
is this really that common in KE?!
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
#roll
wow i love these smileys

where in pindi? RMC?
pindi is located 30 miles away from islamabad...its islamabad's so called twin city

hmmmm...it seems like everyone is leaning more towards FJMC....

·
Registered
418 Posts
squid bro! any place is as good as u make..i think uve recently come from america because of ur reference to shopping malls. KFC, etc. let me tell u why lahore isnt such a bad place ESPECIALLY the area around KE.
1. KING CHARGHA at lakshmi (lovevly fried chicken desi style)
2. BUTT KI KARAHI the king of karahi at ur very own lakshmi chowk
3. GARAM GULAB jamun meher sweets!
4. cream chaat at anar kali (legendary)
5. kasuri falooda anar kali....had it today
6. FOOD STREEEEEEEET!!!!!!!
7. nisbat road ke GOL GUPPAY WALA!
8. BENAZIR ke samosay ( impossible to get one is ramazan)
9. DAHI BALAY WALA!!!!!!! some shmoe at anar kali sells them ..luv him

so heres the cool stuff of lahore-kE area

oh yeah THEY ONLY PICK ON PEOPLE WHO DELIBERATELY TRY TO SHOW HOW AMERICAN THEY ARE.........I cannot stress this enuff......just try to fit in and thats it..... and if ur worried abt the boy thing then go to FJMC ive heard they have the best hostels of all the med colleges.

but honestly all aside it doesnt matter where u go cuz the residency guys in the US dont care and if u try ur best to fit in.....thats all

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well the students who go to KE or FJ are from relatively better families , ie who have more money so they tend to be more modern. Students from RMC are from more rural backgrounds, tend to be more conservative but very PAINDU (the term we use here). Its not that bad though because Islamabad is basically connected to Pindi so you have a lot of students from Islamabad who picked RMC simply due to its location.

On the bright side, Rawalpindi is much cooler then Lahore weather wise. Whoever says the clinical setting is bad is completely wrong as I find it to be the best in the area, even topping KE (no hatin). I think in Lahore a lot of the patients tend to be hardcore punjabi and many students only speak urdu. And RMC has THREE teaching hospitals where you get a variety of all types of patients with textbook cases and plenty of hands on experience.

Plus the girls hostel is in a good location and relatively clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
taimur bor, you are right some of those places u mentioned are the best. Been here 4 yrs bro but not sure where nisbat road gol guppay guy is. But by far the best gol guppay that i have had was in Liberty Market. Be careful in the begining about some of the places in you eat at, especially open areas, some of the street vendors don't wash the plates and utensils properly leaving u running to the bathroom. But eventually u will develop you immunity, so eat on bro!
about fitting in, yea it is a good thing to do, but don't deviate to much from your own personality. u have to, for a lack of a better term, "keep it real!" you will make some genuine friends here and then again, you will make some shady friends that are here to leech of u and pose as friends. Alot more of latter. But its ok bro, just try to have a good time, that is what i do.
But bro, try not blow up in the waste line, cuz that is truly some un-healthy ruffage. If you want, you can sign up for the gym, i work out at Shapes Gym in Gulberg. Even meet alot of the Pakistani Cricketers there. (Bunch of over paid, under achieving panizies! in my opinion that is)

·
Registered
418 Posts
yeah.........every foreigner gets really sick in the beggining but u develop immunity eventually so basically in abt 6 months to a year u r ready for anything..................

the gol guppay wala guy stands in front of Dyal Singh library on nisbat road......after about 5 o clock everyday #laugh

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think besides the "immunity" you actually develop a sense of what will make you sick and what not and you naturally tend to avoid the things that will make you sick. I find that most people who come fresh from a western country eat anything and everything and are constantly in the toilet.

But for me with my previous experience I was careful to a large extent but the occasional food poisoning which was so bad that made me seek medical attention. You can die from food poisoning here, serious matter so have to be careful... ESPECIALLY in the summer time!! Even some local Pakistanis get food poisoning and die

·
Registered
15 Posts
squid bro! any place is as good as u make..i think uve recently come from america because of ur reference to shopping malls. KFC, etc. let me tell u why lahore isnt such a bad place ESPECIALLY the area around KE.

oh yeah THEY ONLY PICK ON PEOPLE WHO DELIBERATELY TRY TO SHOW HOW AMERICAN THEY ARE.........I cannot stress this enuff......just try to fit in and thats it..... and if ur worried abt the boy thing then go to FJMC ive heard they have the best hostels of all the med colleges.

but honestly all aside it doesnt matter where u go cuz the residency guys in the US dont care and if u try ur best to fit in.....thats all
why should i try to fit in and be something that Im not...if ppl in pakistan have a problem with me being "american" cz i have lived there for all of my life then they're the ones that are gonna have problems not me...

im not deliberatly going to act american ... its going to come out on its own ... its just how i am ...

when someone comes from pakistan here ... they dont try to act american ... and if they do, everyone calls them a fob ... but if u come here, act wat u naturally are then ur just called a foriegner

im okay with the whole social situation in pakistan...n i have been to pakistan evry summer n winter break so im well aquainted with that stuff.

#yes

taimur bor, you are right some of those places u mentioned are the best. Been here 4 yrs bro but not sure where nisbat road gol guppay guy is. But by far the best gol guppay that i have had was in Liberty Market. Be careful in the begining about some of the places in you eat at, especially open areas, some of the street vendors don't wash the plates and utensils properly leaving u running to the bathroom. But eventually u will develop you immunity, so eat on bro!
about fitting in, yea it is a good thing to do, but don't deviate to much from your own personality. u have to, for a lack of a better term, "keep it real!" you will make some genuine friends here and then again, you will make some shady friends that are here to leech of u and pose as friends. Alot more of latter. But its ok bro, just try to have a good time, that is what i do.
But bro, try not blow up in the waste line, cuz that is truly some un-healthy ruffage. If you want, you can sign up for the gym, i work out at Shapes Gym in Gulberg. Even meet alot of the Pakistani Cricketers there. (Bunch of over paid, under achieving panizies! in my opinion that is)
hihi

ill 'keep it real', lets just hope they're ready for me #cool

isn't the bad diarrhea caused by the water there? when i went to pakistan last spring, i didnt drink bottled water n i had those problems but this summer i brought two pax of btld water & it was all good

i had a lot of food from the side stands at muree but i was ok, and as soon as i ate from sialkots silverspoon...a famous popular restaurant there... i had troubles again

I made this a new thread so you can get some advice/suggestions here.
thx

#grin

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
why should i try to fit in and be something that Im not...if ppl in pakistan have a problem with me being "american" cz i have lived there for all of my life then they're the ones that are gonna have problems not me...

im not deliberatly going to act american ... its going to come out on its own ... its just how i am ...

when someone comes from pakistan here ... they dont try to act american ... and if they do, everyone calls them a fob ... but if u come here, act wat u naturally are then ur just called a foriegner

im okay with the whole social situation in pakistan...n i have been to pakistan evry summer n winter break so im well aquainted with that stuff.

#yes

hihi

ill 'keep it real', lets just hope they're ready for me #cool

isn't the bad diarrhea caused by the water there? when i went to pakistan last spring, i didnt drink bottled water n i had those problems but this summer i brought two pax of btld water & it was all good

i had a lot of food from the side stands at muree but i was ok, and as soon as i ate from sialkots silverspoon...a famous popular restaurant there... i had troubles again

thx

#grin
That's probably just about the worst idea I've ever heard. The more american you act, the more they'll think that you see yourself as better than them. You can basically expect to fail a lot of things. That's how it is at every medical college in Pakistan.

We're not saying that you should try to hide that you're an American or pretend that you don't know what they're talking about when someone asks you if you're from the states, but there's no secret here that if you don't try to behave the same way they do in the majority of instances, they'll label you as the typical stuck-up foreigner who is too good for Pakistan. That's when the teachers will start to dislike you. You'll most likely have to study even more than normal to keep a good impression going.

Again, you don't have to lie about it, but if you flaunt it, it'll definitely give the wrong impression.

And yeah, bad diarrhea can be caused by a lot of things, regardless of where you'll end up going to school. Just have to stay sanitary and drink bottled water.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts

Hey, take it easy. We're in no way suggesting that you try to stifle your personality or act exactly like the locals. However, it is important to keep in mind that living here full time might be a little bit different than your vacations.

There are certain things that you should avoid doing otherwise you'll be finding it out for yourself the hard way.
1. Don't continuosly complain about conditions in Pakistan or compare things to how they would be "so much better" in America. Yes, it's true...things are clean, and often more hi-tech back home, but nobody wants to hear that.
2. Don't brag about how much money you have. Obviously the monetary exchange ratio works to our advantage, but there's no need to tell people how you consider things to be cheap.

These may seem like things that you ordinarily wouldn't do anyways, but Americans often come here with the misconception that they're somehow better than Pakistanis. If you come in with the wrong attitude I can almost guarantee that you'll be running in to problems. There's nothing wrong with telling people that you're from America, but don't ever act like you're better than locals because of it.

Just trying to save you some trouble.

·
Registered
418 Posts
honestly..........if your really freindly with every one and you humble yourself with everyone people wont care how american you are because as i said people are now used to seeing american people. and besides in the beggining fitting in isnt the problem.the main problem is seeing whether you can acustom yourself with the enviroment such as warding off diarhea and being able to learn what they teach you....

basically, if u dont like it , try to remember that your here to study....and its only 5 years.........though i beleive youll soon come to like it...

·
Registered
62 Posts

haha first of all im sis not bro! im actually pakistani was living in canada for the last 5 yrs but yeah very much pakistani but i am a germophobe - paranoid whatever you call those ppl who don't share food or eat from radre wallas.

i was actually wrong about ke i went there 5 yrs ago when i actually ran out screaming (or very close to it) and i just visited it yesterday i must say it has really improved.

i think and i've experienced this at one of those crappy academies even if you try and blend in ppl in pakistan are so damn meddling and just soo irrational that you do stand out no matter what you do. and im actually a very humble person and i have a good conversion but i STILL get picked on. its sad that it takes ppl sometime to figure out that ure not some arrogant amreki according to their predefined notion but ur actually a normal person who is just different.

Indecisive - go to FJ i might go there :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just tell everyone your from New Guinea or New Zealand or something like that, they have no idea where that is and they will immediately hae no connotations about it. Tell them you raise sheep over there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts