Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey Ali, salaam

I just had a few question about med school in Pakistan and about residency iin America??

So I know that your a 4th year and probably in clinical expeience.

Have you taken your USMLE if so how did you do? If not when do you plan to take it?
  1. How does Med School plan you for the USMLE steps in Pakistan?
  2. How long is summer vacation for med school in Pakistan?
  3. What field of residency do you with to get in when coming back to the states?
  4. So your doing a house job thats like residency in Pakistan Why? Isn't that wasting a year you could just come back to the states and start residency?
  5. Have you taken any electives/done any research or published any material?
  6. Inshallah I wish to go into general surgery when finished do you think I'll get a good spot when applying for residency in America or do I have any shot at all?
  7. I plan to take my USMLE's during the 5 years of med school instead after. Probably 2 or 3 year do you think I'll have adequate time to study for them and med school in Pakistan, thereby getting a good score on the USMLE (inshallah 95% or above) and pass the year in med school?
#confused

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
This isn't the place to ask those questions. The title of this thread is "When do classes begin?" and that's what we'd like to keep the topic on.

You can find a lot of the information you're looking for if you try using the search function at the top of the page.

To ask questions, please post in relevant thread topics, or if no thread exists, then create a new one, but please do not ask something completely off-topic in an existing thread.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I went ahead and made this a separate thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
hey Ali, salaam

I just had a few question about med school in Pakistan and about residency iin America??

So I know that your a 4th year and probably in clinical expeience.

Have you taken your USMLE if so how did you do? If not when do you plan to take it?
  1. How does Med School plan you for the USMLE steps in Pakistan?
  2. How long is summer vacation for med school in Pakistan?
  3. What field of residency do you with to get in when coming back to the states?
  4. So your doing a house job thats like residency in Pakistan Why? Isn't that wasting a year you could just come back to the states and start residency?
  5. Have you taken any electives/done any research or published any material?
  6. Inshallah I wish to go into general surgery when finished do you think I'll get a good spot when applying for residency in America or do I have any shot at all?
  7. I plan to take my USMLE's during the 5 years of med school instead after. Probably 2 or 3 year do you think I'll have adequate time to study for them and med school in Pakistan, thereby getting a good score on the USMLE (inshallah 95% or above) and pass the year in med school?
#confused
1. Medical school in pakistan does not prepare you for the USMLE whatsoever!!!!! you have to figure it out on your own.

2. Vacations are only 6 weeks in the summer, and 1 week for winter and spring.

3. House job isnt a waste if you want to learn something.

4. Its too early for you to decide on surgery and everything is equally as hard to get into.

And you cannot take the USMLE until you have finished 4th year.

·
Registered
72 Posts
LOL, what is this 60mins? #laugh i will try to answer as best as possible bro.

* Not yet bro, going finish school and then take it afterwards, schedule is too hectic.

How does Med School plan you for the USMLE steps in Pakistan?

*I m assuming that u meant " Med School prepare you for the USMLE"
School is just an institution that presents the information in format which they deem appropriate bro, its up to you on how u assimilate that information and understand it. The subject matter is the same everywhere whether at Harvard, J.H., Upenn, KE, Shifa etc;

How long is summer vacation for med school in Pakistan?

*Depends on the school bro and how much the course needs to be covered before your professional exam. But usually the standard is one month. My first and sec year we got June 1st till July 1st off. Third yr we had no break because patho course was extensive and alot was left to be covered so we attended patho classes all summer long, and fourth year i got June 15th till July 15th. So it depends on the year you are in and how much of the course still needs to be covered before the exams start. But usually i squeeze in a couple days before and after due to flight schedules and what not, so i end up with 5- 5 1/2weeks#cool

What field of residency do you with to get in when coming back to the states?

*Again assuming that u meant "wish to get in"
Depends on your interest bro, anything is possible with good scores in school and a nice USMLE exam, but the trend for FMGs is Internal Med, Family, OBGYN, and peds. But then again, anything is possible. I m shooting for anesthesia, insh'ALLAH, so pray for me bro!

So your doing a house job thats like residency in Pakistan Why? Isn't that wasting a year you could just come back to the states and start residency?

*House is job is necessary for those that want to practice in Pakistan. So u r right, its like a residency in Pakistan. I m choosing to do it because the opportunity is there bro, its alot of hands on and you can get to see some really rare cases while here, especially in medicine and surgery.
Not really wasting a yr bro. Majority of the students do house job here, and along with study for the steps. So it better this way. My seniors told me its better to be productive rather than sitting idle and studying. Plus when applying for residency, u will have to explain for that time period that u graduated and took your steps. Studying for steps is not so good of an excuse. Again this is all advice from my seniors.

Have you taken any electives/done any research or published any material?

*No electives yet, after you take your final prof in fifth year, there usually is a 6-7 month time period for your scores to be announced. This is the perfect time to do electives, not so much research. You can do research here if you want. There are some professor doing research at KE but its hard to get into. But u can always try bro. i think its about interest. Those thinking about PhD afterwards, then its a must, but me, i content with not doing any research.

Inshallah I wish to go into general surgery when finished do you think I'll get a good spot when applying for residency in America or do I have any shot at all?

*With good scores and and nice USMLE score, anything is possible bro. I can't say much, but try doing a google search on residents in surgery from Pakistan Colleges.

I plan to take my USMLE's during the 5 years of med school instead after. Probably 2 or 3 year do you think I'll have adequate time to study for them and med school in Pakistan, thereby getting a good score on the USMLE (inshallah 95% or above) and pass the year in med school?

*You can try it bro, but you wont be well prepared because of the course. Pharmacology is taught in 3rd year and Special Patho is taught in 4th year. Both are key subjects for the steps. So the earliest you can take it is at the end of fourth year. It is possible that if you study along with your normal courses allowing you to take it at the end of the fourth year, but i have yet to hear of such a student that has taken step1 before final year. In my opinion i wouldn't do it, i would take it at the end, every one has told me this and i think that it is wise.

Hope my answers were of help.
Again all my answers are in reference to KE.
The Shifa guys might have some different approaches, it will be good to hear what they have to say as well.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Technically you can take step 1 at the end of 4th year, but it's not common practice. With the already heavy course load of med school it would be very difficult to find enough time to study properly for it. Since USMLE scores are so important for your career it would be better to be well prepared and take it after 5th year, even if it does take a little extra time. You know how the saying goes...better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
173 Posts
by the time you end up with 4th year and start the final year,its already so tough and the rotations, ward duties and all that stuff that y,its better to take step 1 after u are done with final year... coz once u get the result, it will stick to u for the next seven years...nobody wants to take SUCH risks! aint it#roll
so, what i have learnt so far is that its best if u take it after your final year!#yes

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you revise what you cover throughout the years often using USMLE review books its very possible to give the Step 1 after 4th year, but the system here is so messed up you wont get ample amount of time to revise it all again properly etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
bro, you have to understand, the system is not geared towards the USMLE like it is at other international universities. over here its the Five year British System which was implemented in the stone ages. KE and FJ have yet to deviate from. Other universities and colleges have implemented The Multiple Choice Exam format, but KE and FJ have yet to follow suit.
your right bro, if u keep up with your studies and give like 3-4 hrs daily of step studying, then it is possible to take it at the end of 4th year. i tried it in 1st year, but i found it just too difficult to do so. Developed a routine for like 3 months but just burnt myself out. but that choice is up to u bro,if u can do it, then by all means go for it. but choose wisely.

·
Registered
539 Posts
UHS has multiple choice questions in its exams but the questions are completely NON usmle based. Anyway some people say its hard others say its not. Most people in paki med schools are so used to studying EVERYTHING and in major detail. The usmle is simple just a review of most things really! Nothing too hard.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I recently found out that about 15% of students from Aga Khan end up taking steps 1 after fourth year. Pretty big number for one school, considering that almost everyone else waits.

I'm most likely going to wait till after final year myself.
this reminds of something #wink
one i heard a govt. figure saying this ona tv show "Agha Khan is less a medical college, more like a tuition center for USMLE, ensuring U.S visaz for the studentz..."

Peace!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali9686

Have you taken any electives/done any research or published any material?
*No electives yet, after you take your final prof in fifth year, there usually is a 6-7 month time period for your scored to be announced. This is the perfect time to do electives, not so much research.

So, during those 6-7 months you technically still are a medical student. Is it ok to do electives after this time( I mean after you graduate) or is it a requirement to be a medical student at the time of the electives?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tasha, your a medical student till the time u receive your final scores and ultimately your degree no matter how long it takes for them to check papers. Usually it takes this long because students sitting for the annual exam, if there are any failures in the annual exam, 40 days after results are released they have to re-appear in the failed subjects ( i have yet to see a 100% result in annual exam). So the grading of the re-takers causes this massive delay before graduation. Many students take advantage of this and do electives in the field of interest. Not to mention that exam schedule it self is so long.

Correct me if i am wrong but i think electives are for students only. After you graduate you cannot do electives but they have other programs like extern-ships and observer-ships which you are allowed to do. But you might have to look into that. Each institution has its own policy so you will have to check with them. Hopefully one of the shifa guys or 7up has more info on it.

Reactions: MastahRiz

·
Registered
418 Posts
. over here its the Five year British System which was implemented in the stone ages. KE and FJ have yet to deviate from. Other universities and colleges have implemented The Multiple Choice Exam format, but KE and FJ have yet to follow suit.
just wanted to say that this year they have changed the exam format and are now focusing on MCQs at KE.....

they talk abt the MCQ as if it is some really new and cool invention................#laugh

1 - 20 of 34 Posts