Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I plan on attending PUCMM in January 2008. I would love to hear feedback from anyone who attended PUCMM or knows anything about it. I just got out of High School and any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Maddy...

Maddy, I was just curious... What information have you recieved already on PUCMM? What made you convinced to go there? (if you are convinced)
Don't be troubled by my question. Like I said, I'm just curious and its not because I have anything against it at all. #confused

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Natacha,
I am somewhat familiar with PUCMM. I know about their 6 year med program, that they are accredited by all 50 states, the LONG process of admission (paperwork). i had relatives graduate from there.

My parents are dominican and I just got back from a month's vacation there (in Santiago). My dream is to study medicine. I applied to U.S. pre med schools and didnt get in. I always said that if i become a doctor, I would want to go to DR and help the poor children. My parents cant help me economically in the US but can in DR.

Im not quite convinced yet. Some people tell me its a great idea (chance of a lifetime), others tell me im making a mistake(they lack technology and llibrary resources, bad life style, hard time seeking residency afterwards, violence, etc.).

People tell me that I should take basic sciences in the US (Bio, Chem, Org, etc.) in the US and then go to DR because the US requires 60-90 under grad units for licensure, and that it would have a limiting effect on my medical career.

Im still researching to make sure I make a good decision. But I want expert advice
Do you think is a good idea?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Maddy,

I think coming down here to study at PCUMM is a great idea. You can do it anyway you like... although I think you might be waisting time if you choose to do your undergrad in the states. I say this only because not all schools down here accept credits from other schools. You might end up starting in pre-med down here anyway. I dont know if that is necessarily the case for PCUMM, but either way why go about it that way when you can just do pre med here?
Another reason why I wouldnt bother doing the undergrad in the states is that I dont think the point of doing your undergrad in the states is going to make much of a difference on your application for residency in the states. The main thing board officials look at when applying for residency is your USMLE scores and experiences (like clinical or research electives). You can read about this in some of our other topics listed under "beyond medical school".
Lastly, do not listen those who try to discourage you from studying here in the carribean because there have been plenty of cases where people have gone to the states after studying abroad and gotten great jobs afterwards. Besides, like you said, you have family that has done it, right?!
So, that's my input. I hope it was helpful. GOod luck!:happy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello maddy. I was wondering how has your experience been so far at PUCCM? I am also planning on heading to the DR to begin my medical education. I have no relatives or know anyone in DR, but DR provides an opportunity that I can't resist. Any recommendations or experiences that anyone can share would me? I would forever be grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Henry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts