Medical Students Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
someone please help me. I have questions about the application process. I'm applying to KMC from U.S.A. I need help urgently. Please reach out to me. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
hey... idk too much but i'll try to help as much as i can... what are your questions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My questions are:
1) What are the exact document that I need for the IBCC equivalency? I'm in 12th grade and going to get the 9th and 10th grade equivalency, but don't know exact documents.
2)My friend is a complete American citizen. She doesn't have a duel nationality, but wants to apply to KMC. Can she do it? If yes, then how will be the process for her?
3? Can I take either math/physics SAT II? or does it have to be just physics? Also,If the can take math, then which math SAT II do I have to take(math 1 or2)?
4)How long does the admission process take? And when does it start?(I'm currently in 12th grade, and will graduate in June)
5) Can a full American apply for the PTAP?

I would appreciate any help

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
1) search and download the ibcc form and it'll tell you the exact documents you need. i do know for sure that you'll need official high school transcripts, your diploma, among other things.
2) she can't apply through ptap as that is only for dual nationals, but she can apply through overseas self-finance through hec
3) math OR physics should be fine. i took math ii but either one is fine.
4) its already started for 2020-2021 admissions, ptap posted their announcement... i think the longest/hardest thing is to apply for ibcc equivalence/ receive the certificate (it takes over a month sometimes even with urgent fees).
5) i don't know what you mean by "full american" but i do know that for ptap, you MUST be a DUAL national (american-pakistani, british-pakistani, canadian-pakistani etc.) and you must have proof of foreign nationality (im using my american passport) and proof of pakistan nationality too (nicop/nadra card will do)

have you taken your sats yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
How's the application process different for the American person? Does she need to do something different? Will she need a student visa?
And no I haven't taken any SAT yet. I took SAT1 and got a 1370. Going to take SAT bio soon, then math and chem. I don't know if college board has cancelled anything or not.
Also what a NOC?
Which form would the American nationality person fill out? I saw the form for equivalency, and it looks like it's for duel nationality holders. Is there a separate form for Americans?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
well.. idk about that..

why did you take sat i? you only need sat ii for ptap/self-finance for kmc.

idk about noc either...

well ibcc equivalence applications have the same form for all applicants dual/overseas alike. ptap on the other hand is only for dual nationals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took the SAT 1 because I thought I was going to college here, but then parents said no. Now I have to take 3 SATs in my last year of high school.
Do you have any other tips for me or my American friend?
Thank you for all the help

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
i see...

well here's my personal experience:

i registered to take my 3 sat subject tests (math ii, biology, and chemistry) on august 29 in islamabad, pakistan. i was really really really nervous about it as the days grew nearer. but then on around august 20-25ish, i received an email from the college board saying that my test center reduced capacity so i would have to take the test makeup on sept 19 instead. i was quite relieved as i had just received 3 more weeks of prep time.

i studied using barrons books for all three tests. here's what i wish my past self knew about these exams/prep:

for math, ji don't even think a prep book is necessary if you've taken the necessary prerequisite classes (algerbra 2/precalculus). just buy/find TONS of timed practice exams online, and just use those to go over what you know and what you don't know. review the syllabus and check off the concepts as you go. i took precalc honors my last year of high school so i basically had covered the entire syllabus already, all i needed was TONS of practice. also its REALLY helpful to invest in a ti 84 calculator because it will save you a LOT of time, and the features really help... (you'll know what i mean when you start practicing)
in my personal opinion dont take barrons math practice tests. it just goes way too much in depth and will cause you to overthink problems when it comes to the real test. i found myself after taking the barrons tests to really overthink and overdo it when it came to solving otherwise simple problems on the official practice exams.

for chem, i think barrons goes wayyy too much in depth, but i would still definitely recommend it if you really want to feel prepared. just go over each and every concept and do every single practice problem they give you. then practice practice practice. you cant use a calculator so make sure you can solve multiplication/long division problems on paper really fast (that'll come with practice). definitely do the barrons practice tests even though they're harder. just do them with the sole intention of practice/further enforcement of understanding. dont worry about the score you get on barrons practice exams.

for bio, i think barrons content was sufficient. first, identify whether you want to take biology e or m. this is important. it doesnt matter which one you choose, pakistan admissions dont really care if you take e or m, you just need to have taken either one of them. just look at the syllabus, you know yourself and your strengths/weaknesses. just trust your gut and start from there. go over the entire barrons book and start practicing. really practice general biology questions as much as you possibly can but also try to emphasize your understanding of the content for the respective test you want to take(ecological or molecular). i think even though barrons tests are a harder you should still do them solely for practice/further enforcement of understanding. dont worry about the score.

because practice the THE MOST IMPORTANT part of studying for SAT subject tests, you're probably wondering where to get practice tests from. here's what i wish i knew right from the start of my study period:
-cracksat tests
-official sat tests (just buy the books from college board)
-MOST IMPORTANT-
-this is gonna sound weird but there are some threads on reddit that have pdfs/google drive links of entire FOLDERS of official previously administered sat practice tests for every subject. there are SO MANY and they are a LIFESAVER. unfortunately i only found out about this about 2-3 days before my exam)

use these full length practice tests at least 1 a week per subject and TIME YOURSELF. this is INSANELY important because time is so limited. the hour goes by SO FAST and you need CORRECTLY answer as many questions as possible (because there IS negative marking).

i took my exam on sept 19 so now im waiting for my results. i felt like my biology (e) exam was the hardest. chemistry was the easiest but was the most time consuming. math was alright too (my calculator SAVED my LIFE on some problems).

i still don't know what i got and im really nervous about that but i thought even if this LONG post helps even one person it'll be worth it. i wish you the best of luck for studying and your admission!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you so much for this! This is going to save me a lot of time. I had no idea where to start and how to study to be honest. So thank you for this. I hope you get a really good score. Good luck. Btw, which college are you going to? And do you have a studying schedule/routine? like how many hours a day did you devote to each subject?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
its my pleasure! i remember wishing i had someone to guide me for sat studying so it's really rewarding to know that my experience has helped someone. good luck to you too!! i would personally love to get into khyber this year through ptap.

well i'm just waiting for my score now and i stopped studying right after my exam but i didnt really have an exact set study "routine". instead i just studied after breakfast in the morning (i woke up quite late, around 10-11) and then studied till lunch and continued until around 4-5 when i took a couple hours break before studying again until dinner and then studied until around 2 am. this wasnt really as effective because i would tend to lose motivation quite often because of my lack of consistency. some days i would study around 8-10 (sometimes up to 12) hours while others i would barely study 2-3 hours.

here's the golden rule when it comes to studying for exams like this: divide your syllabi into bite-size pieces, and then, instead of assigning yourself daily work, establish what you want to accomplish each WEEK. this is SO IMPORTANT because it allows you to have random break days in the week while still keeping you from falling behind. i made the mistake of setting daily goals, and if i ever missed a day, that work would snowball into the next day and then the next and it was genuinely so overwhelming. keep yourself on track with a to-do list of chapters/concepts you want to MASTER that WEEK, and then work accordingly. this way, you can get the most out of studying while also maintaining your sanity.
biology is literally all memorization so focus more on strengthening your concepts than practicing.
chemistry is half memorization and half practice so study accordingly.
and math is literally all practice with the exception of memorizing some basic formulas and rules.
(idk about physics so i can't really speak about that)

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
best of luck!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi! I'm also studying for the SAT subject tests. Do you know if the cracksat has full SAT practice tests because I can't find any.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
well they do but they are split into parts, which kind of makes timing a bit difficult. thats why i just used cracksat for practice questions, not tests.
try the reddit ones like i previously said. those are actually official tests.

·
Registered
34 Posts
cracksat is good practice, but if you want to create the 'real' test experience. then full practice tests are the way to go. speed is always important in this test, so please take it into consideration

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took the SAT 1 because I thought I was going to college here, but then parents said no. Now I have to take 3 SATs in my last year of high school.
Do you have any other tips for me or my American friend?
Thank you for all the help
Hi there,

please check out my most recent discussion on this page if you want to go to a Pakistani medical school and then come back to the USA to write the USMLE and to work as a physician. Its very important to look at before you make such a move.
I have linked it here
and here:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dmc is a govt uni. Im preparing for the physics sat and trust me the whole situation just got me demotivated.. i was gonna give it in june and was done studying but didnt do the practice tests yet. I was satisfied with my bio and chem scores but it turns out they arent enough for kemu and aimc. So i might have to give those again. The competition for UHS is out of this world. You need ATLEAST a 94. somethig% aggregate to get into kemu and 93.something for aimc. Im sure its similar for ptap seats. So for the american system students its basically impossible to get in since ibcc deducts about 13-15%
Hi there,

please check out my most recent discussion on this page if you want to go to a Pakistani medical school and then come back to the USA to write the USMLE and to work as a physician. Its very important to look at before you make such a move.
I have linked it here
and here:

41 - 57 of 57 Posts