Medical Students Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
@h.haris i have army medical (overseas), cmh lahore (local), shifa (local) and ziauddin (local) in mind for now. Im a bit confused about shifa though as i dont know what test they will take this year.
i think you can apply to shifa through any centralized mcat taken in Pakistan, for example etea( kp's mdcat), nums, punjab's mdcat etc etc. As this is how its been happening for the last couple of years atleast. Dont know about the process for foreign students though🤷‍♂️. Although you guys have enough time, why dont you guys prepare for the local mcat and give it? The books are available online and tbh if you really want it, you can easily score good🙂. I'd suggest the Punjab's mdcat as its syllabus is less as compared to the other tests, and the test itself was PRETTY easy last year. And as far as good unis (other than the ones you mentioned) go, kmc is quite good, then there's nishtar in multan, fauji foundation( private) in Islamabad.🙂

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i actually AM planning to take the etea exam too. although ptap is my top priority, i have also been advised to try taking the local exam (etea for kpk). you mentioned they have prep books online, do you know any that would be helpful?

·
Registered
37 Posts
i actually AM planning to take the etea exam too. although ptap is my top priority, i have also been advised to try taking the local exam (etea for kpk). you mentioned they have prep books online, do you know any that would be helpful?
unfortunately only Punjab's books are available online😞. You dont really need prep books except for the fsc books itself plus the practice mcqs and past papers booklets. Which you'd have to get physically like i dont think they're available in pdfs, plus all the bookstores are also closed unfortunately 😗. I know this might sound too much, but i guess the only option you have rn is if someone bought them for you in pk, and have each page scanned or something and send it to you, unless you can get the hard copies

·
Registered
37 Posts
unfortunately only Punjab's books are available online😞. You dont really need prep books except for the fsc books itself plus the practice mcqs and past papers booklets. Which you'd have to get physically like i dont think they're available in pdfs, plus all the bookstores are also closed unfortunately 😗. I know this might sound too much, but i guess the only option you have rn is if someone bought them for you in pk, and have each page scanned or something and send it to you, unless you can get the hard copies
Plus: i know this might not be everyone's cuo of tea, but i came across this some days ago. I hope it might help someone atleast. Qatar university also offers a medicine degree, and they offer scholarships too. Its one of the top 280 universities in the world i guess. Here are the links
http://www.qu.edu.qa/medicine/academic-programs/general-medicine/learning-approach

http://www.qu.edu.qa/medicine/students/scholarships-and-sponsorship

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
aww man that sucks...i was going to take the etea exam because i want to get into a medical school in peshawar, so the mdcat doesn't apply to me as it's for punjab. but ive heard the syllabuses are pretty similar so for the time being i guess i'll look at the mdcat prep material. thanks!!

i also heard if you google the etea past papers, something should come up...i'll try that too!

·
Registered
107 Posts
@h.haris i have army medical (overseas), cmh lahore (local), shifa (local) and ziauddin (local) in mind for now. Im a bit confused about shifa though as i dont know what test they will take this year.
i think you can apply to shifa through any centralized mcat taken in Pakistan, for example etea( kp's mdcat), nums, punjab's mdcat etc etc. As this is how its been happening for the last couple of years atleast. Dont know about the process for foreign students though🤷‍♂️. Although you guys have enough time, why dont you guys prepare for the local mcat and give it? The books are available online and tbh if you really want it, you can easily score good🙂. I'd suggest the Punjab's mdcat as its syllabus is less as compared to the other tests, and the test itself was PRETTY easy last year. And as far as good unis (other than the ones you mentioned) go, kmc is quite good, then there's nishtar in multan, fauji foundation( private) in Islamabad.🙂
Thanks a lot for this. I AM giving the nums test to take all my chances. My dad suggests i take the mcat too for karachi but it'll only give me one good uni- ziauddin. What do you suggest i take..? Mdcat or mcat? Would you rank any private college of punjab above ziauddin?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks a lot for this. I AM giving the nums test to take all my chances. My dad suggests i take the mcat too for karachi but it'll only give me one good uni- ziauddin. What do you suggest i take..? Mdcat or mcat? Would you rank any private college of punjab above ziauddin?
I' suggest you take Punjab's mdcat as its books are available online, the syllabus is half as much as compared to etea or sindh's mdcat and the test practice material is easily available online.
Nums was tough in comparison to Punjab's mdcat,for example the highest score in nums was in 180s while in punjab it was 199 out of 200. Plus since the syllabus for nums and Punjab's mdcat was similar last year and the dates for both tests were different, you can give both( which everyone does). By doing that you can apply for punjab's public colleges and army medical college and ANY private uni in Pakistan( except for aku which conducts its own test).Not sure about Punjab, the shifa medical college is also PRETTY GOOD, a friend of mine chose it over KEMU, AIMC etc. Fauji foundation, ripah and cmh lahore are also good. personally i have not heard about ziauddin, maybe cuz im not in sindh, and if you want a gov uni try kmc its better than KEMU and the others(not better than DOW and AKU though😂), and has a pretty strong alumni network. Plus i guess shifa might be suitable for you guys as the people you'll find there will be similar to you and the environment in Islamabad( my fav city in Pakistan) is also pretty chill and its relatively safe, in comparison to karachi, lahore or Peshawar, so you'll feel at home. While in the other unis, some people find it hard to cope to the environment there, as i myself am from a alevels background and the friends i have there are having a tough time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I' suggest you take Punjab's mdcat as its books are available online, the syllabus is half as much as compared to etea or sindh's mdcat and the test practice material is easily available online.
Nums was tough in comparison to Punjab's mdcat,for example the highest score in nums was in 180s while in punjab it was 199 out of 200. Plus since the syllabus for nums and Punjab's mdcat was similar last year and the dates for both tests were different, you can give both( which everyone does). By doing that you can apply for punjab's public colleges and army medical college and ANY private uni in Pakistan( except for aku which conducts its own test).Not sure about Punjab, the shifa medical college is also PRETTY GOOD, a friend of mine chose it over KEMU, AIMC etc. Fauji foundation, ripah and cmh lahore are also good. personally i have not heard about ziauddin, maybe cuz im not in sindh, and if you want a gov uni try kmc its better than KEMU and the others(not better than DOW and AKU though😂
, and has a pretty strong alumni network. Plus i guess shifa might be suitable for you guys as the people you'll find there will be similar to you and the environment in Islamabad( my fav city in Pakistan) is also pretty chill and its relatively safe, in comparison to karachi, lahore or Peshawar, so you'll feel at home. While in the other unis, some people find it hard to cope to the environment there, as i myself am from a alevels background and the friends i have there are having a tough time.
i also forgot to mention that Punjab has alot of good public universities like KEMU, AIMC, SIMS, nishtar etc etc as compared to the other provinces like kp for example has only 2 good public unis whivh are KMC and Ayub medical college.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, i cant apply to gov unis in punjab since my domicile is of sindh. So its only private ones.. but yea i guess you're right. I should give the nums and mdcat and then leave it to Allah. I did get the punjab fsc books from pakistan so i think i should start from those.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Btw if you had to pick.. shifa or cmh, which would you choose nd why. I just checked the merit for both and shifas is significantly lower (86). Cmh closes at around 90.9. Also would you choose army medical over these 2, even if the fees are higher?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, i cant apply to gov unis in punjab since my domicile is of sindh. So its only private ones.. but yea i guess you're right. I should give the nums and mdcat and then leave it to Allah. I did get the punjab fsc books from pakistan so i think i should start from those.
i think you can apply as there are qoutas for dual citizens or foreign seats.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Btw if you had to pick.. shifa or cmh, which would you choose nd why. I just checked the merit for both and shifas is significantly lower (86). Cmh closes at around 90.9. Also would you choose army medical over these 2, even if the fees are higher?
I'd personally choose shifa anyday over cmh, for reasons that might not be of any concern to others like you have to wear a uniform in cmh i think and its in lahore( i prefer Islamabad)plus shifa hospital in the only internationally recognised hospital in pk after aga khan but overall they're not that diff i guess specially cmh lahore. There's a post on this forum regarding shifa and other colleges i think. Check out that post. Search shifa and it'll come up

·
Registered
107 Posts
i think you can apply as there are qoutas for dual citizens or foreign seats.
Yes but there are 4 seats in each college and the merit is pretty high and because my school has internal exams the max after equavalency i can get is 85 and final aggregate wont exceed 91.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd personally choose shifa anyday over cmh, for reasons that might not be of any concern to others like you have to wear a uniform in cmh i think and its in lahore( i prefer Islamabad)plus shifa hospital in the only internationally recognised hospital in pk after aga khan but overall they're not that diff i guess specially cmh lahore. There's a post on this forum regarding shifa and other colleges i think. Check out that post. Search shifa and it'll come up
Right thanks for your input. I was also wondering(srry i ask too much), can ppl with sindh domicile take the uhs mdcat?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts