Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey!!

i know its still early but i wanted to start a thread for this year's PTAP applicants...

i'll tell you a little about myself: i am looking to get admission to KMC (Khyber Medical College) through PTAP, hbu?

One thing that's been scaring me is that I didn't take the SATs yet and they've just cancelled the last one of the year (june). I don't know what's going to happen with applications and whether or not the SAT date will be extended to the summer or will be taken online like the AP tests (hopefully!!). No one from Pakistan's EAD has said anything about it yet and CollegeBoard says they'll disclose more info in a few weeks...what do yall think?

also i wanted to discuss IBCC, SAT II scores, grades, admission process, etc... i heard competition's been tough the past few years... let's get to know each other!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
no overseas are not able to apply on this seat. this programme provides seats for dual nationals and students from under developed countries only. you can apply as an overseas on the basis of that quota through UHS in punjab

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
isn't dmc a private medical college? doesn't ptap only work for government medical colleges?

- - - Updated - - -

Also CollegeBoard announced the next SAT Subject Test date has been moved to August 29...that gives us around 4 months to prepare. How have your preparations been going? Mine are alright. At this point I feel like math is my strong suit and chem is going to be the death of me :'))))

Its so crazy to be applying to college abroad during such uncertain times. LOL as if this process wasn't already so unpredictable.

My school ends in mid-June and then I'll be done with high school. I really hope things will get a little bit better by then so I could fly over to Pakistan and start the application process. I'm thinking to just take the SAT II in Pakistan. Has anyone done that before?

Whew! I'm getting nervous just thinking about it. Also I really want to know how the competition is this year. I know you can never really tell for sure but I know there are some really hardworking and determined people applying to med school in Pakistan with this program (PTAP).

Let's chat some more!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dmc is a govt uni. Im preparing for the physics sat and trust me the whole situation just got me demotivated.. i was gonna give it in june and was done studying but didnt do the practice tests yet. I was satisfied with my bio and chem scores but it turns out they arent enough for kemu and aimc. So i might have to give those again. The competition for UHS is out of this world. You need ATLEAST a 94. somethig% aggregate to get into kemu and 93.something for aimc. Im sure its similar for ptap seats. So for the american system students its basically impossible to get in since ibcc deducts about 13-15%

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh wow so i was wrong lol.

OMG SAME!!! I've been so unmotivated to do anything. Everything seems so close yet so far. I only have 7 weeks left of school but it seems like forever away and the SATs are a headache on their own. I did chemistry a while back without studying and I did understandably really bad. I was registered for the SAT II in June for all three tests: bio, chem, and math ii. I only have this one chance and everything feels so surreal. I have no motivation to work but I have such big dreams lol.

THAT'S INSANE. I came across one of your earlier posts and your SAT scores are PHENOMENAL.

Yeah its hard for us Americans because they deduct 15% BUT I heard that if you have honors or APs then they don't deduct your marks for that subject. Also they take 5 subjects from HSSC (11 and 12 grades): 1 English, 1 math, 1 biology, 1 chemistry, and 1 physics (i believe you could opt out of physics but idk what else they would take).

I took AP English and Biology and I have As in both. I'm taking math honors (precalculus honors) and i think i'll get an A, worst case scenario I'll get a B. Chemistry I got a B. Physics I'm getting an A.

I mean, my grades aren't THAT bad but they definitely could be better.

Right now I have SO much teetering on the SATs its CRAZY.

I'm reaching for a pretty easy goal of 750s on all three. Make dua for me lol

I was looking at the PTAP 2019 merit list and I saw 5 Americans out of 20 which isn't too bad but they must have all had phenomenal grades. The person with the lowest fsc marks for US had 891/1100 which is about 81% AFTER deductions which is really good!!! That means the person had ROUGHLY a 96% BEFORE deductions (if they didn't take honors/APs)!!
And the SATs were 1970/2400, which is about an 82% which is also really good.

All this is making me really nervous lol but I hope both of our hard work pay off and we both are medical students next year InshaAllah!!

- - - Updated - - -

also i have a question that's been bothering me for some time now:

my district gives transcripts without percentages. the official transcript only has letter grades. I'm wondering how this will affect my equivalency. its a huge deal! i mean they don't even gives plus/minus next to the letter grades. i mean how will they tell whether i have a high or a low A? has this ever happened to anyone before?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I cant imagine doing all 3 at once but people do it and they get what they want. Also if you did great in AP then sat will be a lot easier for you (im sure you've heard that already). Now i cant say anything about if AP prevents deduction because im in an american school in saudi (cant apply thru ptap) which doesnt have AP yet. Maybe @medstasticdays knows better. Btw for kemu you need 800 in all subjects 🙃. A 790 in one would work too. Thats why im considering other options

·
Registered
37 Posts
I cant imagine doing all 3 at once but people do it and they get what they want. Also if you did great in AP then sat will be a lot easier for you (im sure you've heard that already). Now i cant say anything about if AP prevents deduction because im in an american school in saudi (cant apply thru ptap) which doesnt have AP yet. Maybe @medstasticdays knows better. Btw for kemu you need 800 in all subjects 🙃. A 790 in one would work too. Thats why im considering other options
Guys work harder for SAT 2, bio and chem is PRETTY EASY. Like seriously aim for nothing less than 800 in both of them. 750 is a pretty BAD score for SAT2 biology and chem. As far as physics goes, the syllabus is very long, but its still doable, aim for atleast 780 in physics too. I gave all 3 last year on 1st june i think and scored 800 in biology, 790 in chem and 760 in physics. Thats a total of 2350/2400. Could've scored better in physics and chem if i had a bit more time, as i only studied for around 8-9 for it i think. Come on, you guys have the best universities of Pakistan in mind, which also happens to be the most competitive 😂, so get off your asses and start studying. I dont mean to discourage or scare you guys but instead to motivate you by showing you guys the reality.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha i majorly procrastinated and now im paying the price lol.

yeah thats why i feel alright about math and bio. ill just review my notes in class and take a gazillion practice tests and ill be set.
chem is eating me up from the inside out. everytime i just open the book i want to legit burn it lol. i honestly don't know what imma do about that one.

yeah i should @medtasticdays if your reading this, do AP/honors classes ease the deductions in IBCC equivalency?

wow...i could never lol :)
you're really aiming for the top of the top!! thats understandable. you seem really hardworking and passionate about the medical field.
i'll definitely make dua for you!!
what other colleges are you considering other than kemu and aimc?

- - - Updated - - -

haha i majorly procrastinated and now im paying the price lol.

yeah thats why i feel alright about math and bio. ill just review my notes in class and take a gazillion practice tests and ill be set.
chem is eating me up from the inside out. everytime i just open the book i want to legit burn it lol. i honestly don't know what imma do about that one.

yeah i should @medtasticdays if your reading this, do AP/honors classes ease the deductions in IBCC equivalency?

wow...i could never lol :)
you're really aiming for the top of the top!! thats understandable. you seem really hardworking and passionate about the medical field.
i'll definitely make dua for you!!
what other colleges are you considering other than kemu and aimc?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for that. Those are great scores..I have a 770 in chem and in bio i was way too nervous and screwed up easy questions putting me on 740. For physics i did the first practice test and scored 780 in barrons. I can manage 800 in physics for sure inshallah but even if i do manage to retake and score 800 in all 3 its still impractical for me to get into kemu and aimc bc after equavalency..my fsc percentage is 83-85. Which puts me close but not quite there. Thats why im going for other options like army med. Btw does anyone know any other good unis that accept sat and have low fees for overseas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
@h.haris i have army medical (overseas), cmh lahore (local), shifa (local) and ziauddin (local) in mind for now. Im a bit confused about shifa though as i dont know what test they will take this year.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys work harder for SAT 2, bio and chem is PRETTY EASY. Like seriously aim for nothing less than 800 in both of them. 750 is a pretty BAD score for SAT2 biology and chem. As far as physics goes, the syllabus is very long, but its still doable, aim for atleast 780 in physics too. I gave all 3 last year on 1st june i think and scored 800 in biology, 790 in chem and 760 in physics. Thats a total of 2350/2400. Could've scored better in physics and chem if i had a bit more time, as i only studied for around 8-9 for it i think. Come on, you guys have the best universities of Pakistan in mind, which also happens to be the most competitive 😂, so get off your asses and start studying. I dont mean to discourage or scare you guys but instead to motivate you by showing you guys the reality.

Those are really great scores!! Where are you now? What college and what program did you use?

You're right. I should aim higher. How long did you study for?

- - - Updated - - -

@h.haris i have army medical (overseas), cmh lahore (local), shifa (local) and ziauddin (local) in mind for now. Im a bit confused about shifa though as i dont know what test they will take this year.

Those are great colleges! I hope you get in!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
you might be talking about DIMC (Dow International Medical College). However there original campus, DUHS (Dow Medical College) is government.

- - - Updated - - -

You can do 3 in a day. It's not as tiring as people imagine it to be. There's no harm in it. I did 3 in one day, then retook math and bio the next time to improve my scores. You should always keep that option of trying again open to you.
Low 700s, and an average above 90 is not bad if you're applying for a college like DMC which is pretigious but not as competitive as KEMU.
Always have a second college option in your mind. The colleges you guys are applying to are super competitive. Good luck. Inshallah you all succeed

- - - Updated - - -

Heyy,
about AP/Honours. A friend of mine told me of a friend of hers who had IB marks. And she said this person got no deductions. Now that's just a story, we can't really confirm if it's true. There's a possibility that they may not deduct, but it can't be confirmed until you get the equivalency in your hand lol. Nothing really on their website that tells you anything about this.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a friend currently in CMH right now. It is pretty expensive I believe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for responding!!

my goal school is to get admission in a peshawar school like kmc. i heard its really good and its not AS competitive as KEMU and AIMC etc.

omg i really hope they don't deduct for honors and AP (AP is equivalent to IB). i don't want to be taking a college-level class with double the work of a normal high school class for nothing. you're right we really don't know until we do...

InshaAllah make dua for us man I've been MAJORLY stressing lately. like its already such an unpredictable process and the world situation rn isnt making it any better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dmc isnt as competitive as kemu/aimc because their fees for overseas is 9 times more. Cmh for locals is not very expensive although for overseas it does go around 18k USD.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hope for the best haha.

I've heard great things about KMC. I think it's a good choice.

I stressed out too much about it too, and there was really no point in me doing so because it didn't serve me any goodness. Once you've submitted the application, relax and chill. If it's meant to be, nothing can stop it. If it's not, then nothing can make that thing happen.

Right now is a very peculiar situation, idk what will come about. I would say just wait. That's the most we can do. We can pray and hope for the best. Have faith and inshallah things workout.

Spend quality time with your families and stay safe. Don't drown yourself in studies all the time. It wont help in the long run if you ain't happy.

- - - Updated - - -

DMC and CMH have the same fees for overseas. The fees for locals is super low in DMC (government), close to nothing. Under PTAP, you pay local, so its a win win for those folks. It's also super reputable in Sindh. Theres loads of clinical exposure at civil hospital which is loaded with hundreds of patients every day. The conditions are unhygienic but experience won't be compromised practicing at civil hospital. Private unis have this one main disadvantage, lack of experience. I know students who chose DMC over AKU, because of this very point. So definitely take that into consideration before choosing your college. Will you have good clinical exposure?

·
Registered
107 Posts
True. You do get a better clinical exposure in govt hospitals while private hospitals are more about quality which doesnt help much when you start working in pakistan. Also, i was talking about kemu/aimc having 9 times less fees than dimc. Not cmh.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hope for the best haha.

I've heard great things about KMC. I think it's a good choice.

I stressed out too much about it too, and there was really no point in me doing so because it didn't serve me any goodness. Once you've submitted the application, relax and chill. If it's meant to be, nothing can stop it. If it's not, then nothing can make that thing happen.

Right now is a very peculiar situation, idk what will come about. I would say just wait. That's the most we can do. We can pray and hope for the best. Have faith and inshallah things workout.

Spend quality time with your families and stay safe. Don't drown yourself in studies all the time. It wont help in the long run if you ain't happy.

- - - Updated - - -

DMC and CMH have the same fees for overseas. The fees for locals is super low in DMC (government), close to nothing. Under PTAP, you pay local, so its a win win for those folks. It's also super reputable in Sindh. Theres loads of clinical exposure at civil hospital which is loaded with hundreds of patients every day. The conditions are unhygienic but experience won't be compromised practicing at civil hospital. Private unis have this one main disadvantage, lack of experience. I know students who chose DMC over AKU, because of this very point. So definitely take that into consideration before choosing your college. Will you have good clinical exposure?
you're right...as of right now i have 6 weeks left of school and around 4 months until the SAT... panicking won't do anyone any good. i just have to study hard now and see what happens. i've been watching khan academy videos for SAT prep and they've really been helping.

hopefully things get better soon man. if i have to wait a whole year to apply next year just because i can't fly to Pakistan, i will break out in hives.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts