Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salaam so since some schools like King Edward are beginning early, I was wondering if the first year students going to these schools, could put down some of their experiences in the first few days of medical college for us other students who begin later in Jan 1st or 2nd.

Just tell like what you did? how the classes are? how it is for us foreign students trying to fit in? and any other experiences you wish to add please do

Tell us what were up against and if we need to prepare or adjust ourselves for anything?

thanks

#happy

·
Registered
418 Posts
its the night before the first day at KE

im freaking out,
no labcoat,
no books,
ill be the only one wearing sneakers and jeans,
the tension is building up,
will tell you wut happens to me tomoro...........after my first day at ke!.................

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
well i've already gone through first year and the best thing I can suggest is going in with an open mind. Regardless of which school you're going to the first couple of days will require a lot of mental adjusting as you get used to EVERYTHING from the not so amazing classrooms to the interesting English of students and teachers. As long as you're willing to go with the flow in the beginning you'll be perfectly fine.

oh and very few people will have books on the first day. If your library has a decent collection for on campus studying there won't be any need to lug them back and forth to school every day. You'll break your back if you try to take the book for each lecture to class with you. Nobody really follows along in the book during lectures and some teachers actually get annoyed if you do(most likely bc you'll discover that their power point is out of the textbook verbatim).
#dull

·
Registered
539 Posts
ya you dont need books yet and the last thing you want to do is carry yor books with you to school.. all you need is a notebook to pretend your taking notes and giving a hoot

·
Registered
72 Posts
ya you dont need books yet and the last thing you want to do is carry yor books with you to school.. all you need is a notebook to pretend your taking notes and giving a hoot
a note book is more than enough, no one usually takes notes. But on dissection days a dissector is a must.

@ taimur
I was at school today and didn't see any of the first year guys..?

·
Registered
418 Posts
My first day at KE!

i walked through the gates with a pen and a notebook in hand.............a bunch of my new classes mates were standing in front of the administrative building.......i waited there for abt 20 min. after 20 min (now there were 200 of us) we were taken to some lecture hall where this professor told us how cool it is to be a KEMCOLIAN........then we were shown the dissection hall......the they took our attendance....Me and the other foreigners didnt receive our roll numbers so we didnt fill in the attendance list...... Now we went to some new lecture hall where the VC told us abt the coolness of being at ke and introduced the other professors.......the school day finished so me and this other foreign seater went to the admision office and received our roll numbers............

now i had to get a room alotted........
so to get the room alotted i had to do a crap load of things such as getting documents photocopied, things attested by the judicial magistrate, pay more money.....etc....and now i had to wait in line for abt 4 hrs.....after 4 hrs they told us that we would have to share a room with 3 other people....4 in a room!! thats madness............so imstaying at my mamoos house...but will move to hostel in april when they will alot room with more bearable condition.........

·
Registered
418 Posts
my 2nd day at ke.................our very own smeer showed up and so I stayed close to him and his cousin, haris, the whole day...........the day started the same way but today we were given a time table schedule thingy......first class was physiology and then anatomy and then we were taken to a seminar where this guy talked to us about professionalism and how to look and act like good human beings......he asked us whether we all wanted to study at ke by our own free wills.......this american girl said she didnt choose to study here.......im guessing shes not liking KE and pak so much..........between classes we try to run away from senior who would pick out some of us randomly and start making us do funny things or in other words initiation\ragging\hazing but it wasnt too bad.....then we had to study biochemistry where the guy gave us a course outline and told us that we were the best........then the day ended. and i went home

benazir bhutto has been murdered.....she was shot in rawalpindi so people are going crazy......theyve closed down KE hostels and there would be no school tomoro.......my khala was going home yesterday in her car and they started hitting the car with sticks.....luckily she got away..........i received my roll number yesterday and tomoro is a day off.............what a lovely country

·
Registered
418 Posts
rite now im hating KE more than anything.....in fact im hating pakistan!...no electricity, no water, less gas!.........there isnt any system present in the colleges...every guy makes you go to another guy.......i wana stay in the hostel and the guy tells me your name isnt on the merit........ so i go bak to the college and ask the guy why my name isnt on merit...he says thats cause u just received your roll number.........and i have no idea how long itll take for my name to get to the hostel..............we learned about the hip bone and the billion names that go with it.......... itll take me forever to memorize them............What do you guys think? would my name ever OFFICIALLY be present in the college rolls or would i have to get up and have the guy rite it down with a pen every time......maybe cause its the third day of college today.........yes im freaking out........

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
in fact im hating pakistan!..there isnt any system present in the colleges..
Yep, sounds about right. Welcome to the pandemonium.

....we learned about the hip bone and the billion names that go with it.......... itll take me forever to memorize them......
Haha, don't worry after a while it'll all start to stick. Just go over it a lot of times until you become a hip bone master. #nerd

......What do you guys think? would my name ever OFFICIALLY be present in the college rolls or would i have to get up and have the guy rite it down with a pen every time......maybe cause its the third day of college today.........yes im freaking out........
Eventually (probably a couple weeks later) they'll add you to the roll list, but don't worry because roll sheets that were printed in bulk ahead of time will most likely (they did in my case) continue to surface occasionally throughout the rest of the year. #angry

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sometimes you think 90% of Pakistanis were born just to give the other 10% problems!!! Also ya there is a TREMENDOUS gas and electricity shortage in Pakistan these days which is really not helping anything !!

·
Registered
418 Posts
since this is the official experience of 1st year students thread, I would like to tell you about some of the names and images when brought into my mind bring me into a state of unrest and stress. The reason is crummy....they just do...i just asocitate these things with PAIN... some of these things are harmless but still...

1. BD chaurasia (not the book, but the name)
2. Prof. Dr. Akram ( not his name, or the way he teaches, or his strictness level, just his accent and face)
3. Anatomy hall
4. Saturday (i have to go to school on SATURDAYS!!!)
5. Roll number ( Give me a #@^*&@ roll number would ya!!)

yea so these are some of those things......... only with time will the pain be gone........

·
Registered
418 Posts
crud!as for the hip bone............

im reading BD chaurasia and there are a kajilion names of muscle attachements and there are some things tahts in the text but not in the pictures such as some points on the pubis and ischium..... i need a bone to view some of the borders and and lips and wutnot......
how the heck is one supposed to remember all of these things...basically im talking abt pages 5 to 15 of bd chaurasia the lower limb volume???????????? and do we have to or only the main points

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
crud!as for the hip bone............

im reading BD chaurasia and there are a kajilion names of muscle attachements and there are some things tahts in the text but not in the pictures such as some points on the pubis and ischium..... i need a bone to view some of the borders and and lips and wutnot......
how the heck is one supposed to remember all of these things...basically im talking abt pages 5 to 15 of bd chaurasia the lower limb volume???????????? and do we have to or only the main points
yeah unfortunately BD is probably the best place to study bones from. Personally I usually only study the borders & bone features from BD and then study muscle attachments from an atlas(Netter's). You'll find that a lot of different books will have slight variations when it comes to muscle attachments so just pick a reliable book and stick with it. The teachers will generally let you slide on these types of discrepancies as long as you can tell them which book it was from.

As for the amount of detail required for muscle attachment it kind of varies depending on your teachers. While you can technically be held accountable for any muscle related to hip bone I usually got by by just learning the main muscles...

·
Registered
418 Posts
day 5 at ke

class was divided into three..............they put me into the girl part.............normally no prob, but hey im in pak........had to bother teacher for 30 min to get me out of there....done..........

met some guy called anwer kala........hes in charge of collecting bones and keepng dissection hall clean........he told me that if you help me i will help you..........and that he knows wut models are going to come in the exams..........i made friends with some guy from indian controlled kashmir.......my parents leaving day after tomoro....i feel like crying.........i learnd all the muscle attachmetns and points on the hip bone........

anyone know wheteher we can buy bones in pak?!

·
Registered
21 Posts
They usually have bones that people can "rent" for the year. You pay a few hundred rupees when you get them and then your supposed to return them the next year when you don't need them anymore. But that is only for the bones that they have enough of. With smaller bones, or bones that they only have a few of, they usually give a set of them to your group or batch or whatever and they are supposed to be circulated so everyone has a chance to study them. You can always try asking some seniors because some of them might have some bones somewhere around their rooms that they never got around to returning. Just give it a few days, it usually takes some time for everything to be organized and done.

Good job on learning all the attachments and everything on the hipbone... that is quite a task. It all seems really overwhelming at the beginning, but you'll get used to it. Keep it up and good luck!! :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
thanks tasha!

as for those of you who might be getting annoyed due to my previous ranting, im sorry but ill keep on writing my stinkin experiences at KE until i have a NORMAL day..

day 6 or 7 (not sure)

All classes and crap is normal but in the dissection period they are not issuing me any bones because they dont have my roll number there.....at the end of the day i run to the admission office and tell them abt my roll number problem....they take out the class list and i see my name in print on it.......I tell them that the class list the anatomy teacher has is the old one and doesnt have my roll number on it...........the two guys in the office start fighting with each other telling each other that 'you were supposed to deliver the new list to the departments' anyway now I make them issue an order to all depts saying that this is my name and number....this was all yesterday

today i go and i find that once again my number and name isnt there. i run to the admission office and the guy tells me that we cant issue the order without the sign of the VC and the friggin VC is in Islamabad and that he'll return tomoro.....
so here i am without a bonebag..and ive got a substage on the 17th...........

1 - 20 of 159 Posts