Medical Students Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
To help those out who have early interview's, this should be helpful. It was posted by 'hammi3' about last year's interviews:

"Assalamalaikum everyone!!!
i am currently studying in shifa and here is my experience.
first of all, everything said about the donation and stuff is all rubbish:p
secondly, as already mentioned, if your aggregate score is around 70, you will have good chances to make it to the final list. aggregate include 40% entrance test, 40% Fsc, 10% matric and 10% interview.
what do they ask in the interview? well majority of the questions are the usual ones and other are related to ethics eg
where did you studied from?
why do you want to be a doctor?
what do your parents do?
can you pay the fee?
why shifa? why not any other college?
what will you do if a young girl comes to you for an abortion?
what will be your approach to spread health awareness in some village?
qualities of a doctor?

let me know if you guys have any more queries."

"another question that they usually ask is that what is mercy killing? is it allowed in islam? your point of view?"

Credit to 'hammi3' for these 2 quotes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
And also, since it seems they ask quite a few questions about social and political issues, you might want to form an opinion about the riots that happened due to the anti-Islam film recently. I get the funny feeling they're gonna ask that question too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Aoa..
found this..

Is mercy killing allowed in islam?

mercy killing is where one person is killed since that person has a disease or illness which has no cure and is giving that person immense pain. so to free that person from that pain they are killed before they are actually meant to die.

if it is allowed in islam then are there any rulings to it like it can only be performed if the person gives their consent...since it is performed voluntarily (victim's consent is taken) or non-voluntarily (the consent isnot taken and the are just killed).

and if mercy killing is not allowed in islam because god is meant to give and take lives. so what if their is a situation like a hospital which has limited resources and this person is diagnosed with some serious illness and is only about to live for a month plus he is on a life support machine. another patient comes who urgently needs the life support machine and the hospital has one so would it be ok to end the first person's life (he only has a month or so to live) so that the other person's life can be saved?

^Now suppose this question comes....what should we answer?

·
Registered
281 Posts
For the first:
I'm no expert on Islam, but if a victim's consent is taken, it is pretty much suicide so it would be Haram I guess. However, involuntarily it probably isn't but then that's ethically a bit wrong. If I were to find a way to do so while merging it medicine with Islam, I would take the consent of the patient's family. But ethically, I would do it with the consent of the patient and say it is an exception to suicide, because you are helping not harming him. My argument in that case would be that issues like mercy killing were not prevalent at the Prophet's time so there's no ruling in Islam for it.

For the second:
It would be extremely wrong in my opinion to sacrifice one patient for the other without consent, if he allows it, it's another thing. If such a situation arises and consent is not given, then unfortunately for the second patient, he would have to be sent to another hospital.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aoa..
found this..

Is mercy killing allowed in islam?

mercy killing is where one person is killed since that person has a disease or illness which has no cure and is giving that person immense pain. so to free that person from that pain they are killed before they are actually meant to die.

if it is allowed in islam then are there any rulings to it like it can only be performed if the person gives their consent...since it is performed voluntarily (victim's consent is taken) or non-voluntarily (the consent isnot taken and the are just killed).

and if mercy killing is not allowed in islam because god is meant to give and take lives. so what if their is a situation like a hospital which has limited resources and this person is diagnosed with some serious illness and is only about to live for a month plus he is on a life support machine. another patient comes who urgently needs the life support machine and the hospital has one so would it be ok to end the first person's life (he only has a month or so to live) so that the other person's life can be saved?

^Now suppose this question comes....what should we answer?
umm if the patient asks for it,its suicide and is haram and if he doesnt,well then wont it be called murder?Doctors have no right to decide when a patient should just die.But thats just my opinion.And i heard they ask about abortion alot too.In that case,I think we should just talk about laws ! Guess they want doctors who would stick to the laws of the country when making decisions.I guess abortion is illegal in Pakistan so we must not perform it under any circumstances but im not sure of that :s Id be thankful if anyone can confirm it?
And is euthanasia not mentioned in Islam at all ? :eek:
I would say ,we should talk about laws and ethics when answering questions like these.And should we talk about Islam too? What if the person interviewing us aint a Muslim ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
umm if the patient asks for it,its suicide and is haram and if he doesnt,well then wont it be called murder?Doctors have no right to decide when a patient should just die.But thats just my opinion.And i heard they ask about abortion alot too.In that case,I think we should just talk about laws ! Guess they want doctors who would stick to the laws of the country when making decisions.I guess abortion is illegal in Pakistan so we must not perform it under any circumstances but im not sure of that :s Id be thankful if anyone can confirm it?
And is euthanasia not mentioned in Islam at all ? :eek:
I would say ,we should talk about laws and ethics when answering questions like these.And should we talk about Islam too? What if the person interviewing us aint a Muslim ?
In Pakistan, abortion is legal as long as the organs are not developed. They usually are developed by the fourth month so it's legal before that time. Laws of the country say abortion is also allowed at any time if it's necessary to save the mother's life. I stand by the argument that euthanasia should be allowed if permission is taken from the close relatives of the patient. Maybe a white lie could be told to the patient telling him he is scheduled to die the date you kill him instead of the actual predicted date of death.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In Pakistan, abortion is legal as long as the organs are not developed. They usually are developed by the fourth month so it's legal before that time. Laws of the country say abortion is also allowed at any time if it's necessary to save the mother's life. I stand by the argument that euthanasia should be allowed if permission is taken from the close relatives of the patient. Maybe a white lie could be told to the patient telling him he is scheduled to die the date you kill him instead of the actual predicted date of death.
Yu sure abortion is legal in certain circumstances ??

·
Registered
281 Posts
'hammi3' said so, and he's a Shifa student and I'll quote:

"In 1990, the Pakistan government revised the colonial-era Penal Code of
1860 with respect to abortion. The revisions sought to conform better to
Islamic teachings regarding offenses against the human body. Under the
1990 revision, the conditions for legal abortion depend on the developmental stage of the fetus—that is, whether the fetus’s organs are formed or not.
Islamic scholars have usually considered the fetus’s organs to be formed by
the fourth month of gestation. Before formation of the organs, abortions are
permitted to save the woman’s life or in order to provide “necessary treatment.” After organs are formed, abortions are permitted only to save the
woman’s life.
Likewise, the penalties for illegal abortion depend on the fetus’s developmental stage at the time of the abortion. Before organs are formed, the
offense is penalized under civil law (ta’zir), by imprisonment for 3–10 years.
After organs are formed, traditional Islamic penalties, in the form of compensation (diyat), are imposed. Depending on the outcome of the abortion,
imprisonment may be imposed as well.
Source: United Nations Population Division, Abortion Policies: A Global Review,
New York: United Nations, 2002"

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But its only allowed to save the womans life,right? What if a woman wants an abortion cus she simply doesnt want a baby ?
And i heard they ask you to consider the case of some one who has been raped as well. :S What should we say to that??

·
Registered
281 Posts
But its only allowed to save the womans life,right? What if a woman wants an abortion cus she simply doesnt want a baby ?
And i heard they ask you to consider the case of some one who has been raped as well. :S What should we say to that??
In an interview, you have the option of saying whatever you think is right as long as you can give a reasonable explanation to prove why you think so. But here's my opinion. Abortion should only be allowed if the patient has been raped or of course the mother's life is in danger. Because rape is a different case, it's a spontaneous violation. And therefore pregnancy in that case could not have been predicted, nor prevented. But I personally would not allow an abortion otherwise because the woman has a choice and it can be prevented completely. She shouldn't have taken any unnecessary risks if she really did not want a baby. And the baby has rights too, an abortion is like a murder of the baby. So for me, it would only be if it's rape or if the mother's life is in danger. And I think you can hold your own views too as long as you have a reasonable explanation as to why you think so.

·
Registered
99 Posts
According to woman's right and personal opinion (pro-women rights), it totally depends on the girl if she wants to have an abortion or not if she is raped. And I think that would be the right answer too.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.