Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am applying to Bristol, Sheffield, Glasgow, HYMS (Hull and York Medical School) and University of London St. Geroge's Medical School.

Any ideas or suggestions about these?

·
Registered
180 Posts
pedramrad said:
I am applying to Bristol, Sheffield, Glasgow, HYMS (Hull and York Medical School) and University of London St. Geroge's Medical School.

Any ideas or suggestions about these?
Well I heard Bristol has a good rating in the league tables.

My friend goes to St Georges, it's a smaller university compared to other universities, but it's meant to have a excellent course in medicine.

Hull is a recently new medical school.

Dont know much about Sheffield.

·
Registered
349 Posts
iv applied to kings,hull,southampton (GEP) and leeds :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
Is it true that in the UK its like Pakistan you go to medical college right after high school??? Also how is Kings college??
yes it is dear...we have 2 options,

1-straight after college off to uni (med school)...(our high school ends in year 11, we then have 2 years of college years 12-13 in which we do our Alevels, for med you have to do chemistry, Biology and any other subject)

2-Graduate Entry programme (GEP), after your degree, preferably a Bsc (and a minimum of a pass at Alevel chem and bio) you can study medicine in 4 years flat..but usually for most GEP's you have to either take the GAMSAT/BMAT.

And kings college is the shizzle, iv applied there and even though it is 5yrs id take that offer over any GEP, beacause its LONDON! (a couple of mins away from london bridge)and there aint no place like london now is there?

:happy:

·
Registered
349 Posts
hence it being harder to gain admission..majid have u applied this yr?

·
Registered
180 Posts
yes i have. But i only applied to the ones who dont take UKcat coz i missed the deadline for that.

let's see how it goes...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Over all, would you guys prefer going to uni. in UK or PK. And what if you're study medicine in PK, but then you want to work in UK, so you have to go through a whole examination process...for ex. if u decide to come back to the US u have to take all those exams n stuff that take like 10 years (Exageration) to do..etc. etc.?

·
Registered
349 Posts
we're having a smiliar discussion in the "life in pakistan" (or something) thread..personally if pakistan didnt require physics at Alevel and i could come and practice in england as "normal" then id be in pak without a doubt..id prefer to study in pakistan as i feel its an experience in itself...englands geting a tad bit boring after 21 years..saying that if i did study in pak i think id practice there too as i (my opinion)..pakistan is in dire need of non-stuck up doctors...who think they're extra terrestrial or something because they've studied for 5 yrs...

·
Registered
4 Posts
my name is Faizee em in first year studying in Dow Medical College in Karachi, Pakistan.
I will complete ma five years here wanna ask that after completing my MBBS programme i wanna go to UK or USA for ma post graduate programme(Masters) like cardiosurgeon etc.

Can anybody tell me bout the scholarships in UK or USA? the procedure for applying there?? how much it costs on the whole for an international student?

·
Registered
5 Posts
my name is Faizee em in first year studying in Dow Medical College in Karachi, Pakistan.
I will complete ma five years here wanna ask that after completing my MBBS programme i wanna go to UK or USA for ma post graduate programme(Masters) like cardiosurgeon etc.

Can anybody tell me bout the scholarships in UK or USA? the procedure for applying there?? how much it costs on the whole for an international student?
I'm not sure what you trying to say, do you mean that you want to become a CT surgeon and that you would like to undertake this training in the UK/USA, or do you mean that you want to do a postgraduate degree in a cardiac related field, because doing the latter wont automatically make you a CT surgeon. Doing a masters in the UK would mean international fees, theres no set value for this, but just a guide be prepared to fork out up to ?20,000 for the top unis. You can find out about scholarships on their websites, but once again, these arn't found in huge abundances, are competitive to get, and often dont cover the full cost of the course.

In the UK, once you finish your MBBS, you undertake 2 years of foundation training (which you are paid for), after which you undertake your speciality training, i.e in CT surgery. So once you've finished your MBBS, if you dont do your internship in Pakistan, you'd need to come to the UK, do the foundation training and then you could start specializing in CT surgery.

I have to say though, becoming a CT surgeon in the UK is highly competitive, there are several hundered applications per place available. It can be done, but you really need to be at the top of your game. Dont know much about the USA system, hope thats helped!

·
Registered
38 Posts
i got admission in AL-SAINT university domunica cannda for 5 year MD degree , any one please tell me about the university , the rank of the university , is it good for MD ?? and also can i go for it ???

·
Registered
16 Posts
yes it is dear...we have 2 options,

1-straight after college off to uni (med school)...(our high school ends in year 11, we then have 2 years of college years 12-13 in which we do our Alevels, for med you have to do chemistry, Biology and any other subject)

2-Graduate Entry programme (GEP), after your degree, preferably a Bsc (and a minimum of a pass at Alevel chem and bio) you can study medicine in 4 years flat..but usually for most GEP's you have to either take the GAMSAT/BMAT.

And kings college is the shizzle, iv applied there and even though it is 5yrs id take that offer over any GEP, beacause its LONDON! (a couple of mins away from london bridge)and there aint no place like london now is there?

:happy:
Hi there,
I am a Canadian high school student in my final year of grade 12. And I really wanna go to a UK med school that is direct entry, so I don't have to waste time doing uni here. I was wondering what schools don't require the UKCAT and what are the procedures for an international student. I am really aiming to get in this year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts