Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to do a us elective an img must have malpractice insurance?? How do you obtain malpractice insurance??(from your med school?)

·
Registered
305 Posts
If I remember correctly, you don't get malpractice insurance from you medical school. You get it from the program that you are going to be working for. Its something that you will have to take your time and speak about with who ever is accepting you.
If anyone would like to correct me, feel free to do so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think this is something you should take the time to find out about. Malpractice Insurance is very very important nowadays in a physician's life. Unfortunately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Day!

I am a Medical Student from Romania. I would like to appply for an elective rotation (a clerkship) in a US University. Among the eligibility conditions, they require us to be insured for malpractice (1mil/3 mil). I'd like to purchase an insurance for a period of 2-3 months. Please tell me what should I do in order to get this insurance (tell me if you know any companies that I could buy it from). Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
Manuel

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
ManuNastai,

Thanks for joining our forum.

Besides, I think this was discussed in one of our other topics. You should search the forum to see if you find it.
Please read threads before replying and please search the forum before you post since this question has already been answered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dude, no clear info has been written so far! I read the forum, and yes, it has been written, but I could find no link or other info regarding this issue. I considered my post as some kind of thread refresh.. thanks. Also, US schools weren't usefull in this concern

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
ManuNastai,

The problem of finding suitable medical malpractice insurance for international medical students is an ongoing one. There are no clear answers and the best bet is to contact the school that you are interested in applying to for electives and having them forward you the names of some medical malpractice insurance companies for medical students. Just beware, they can be pretty costly. I've heard of estimates ranging from $1200 per year and above for $1-3 million of coverage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts