Medical Students Forums banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
naaah guys im not 43...gona get 1 of the admins to sort that out 4 me...saying that..iv heard of people who are 49 and are 1st year medics..thass jus gangstaaa... (i joke i joke)..im givin myself 2 tries in gettin in2 a uk med school..if it doesnt happen im going to pak..regardless of the employment prospects its all "allah di marzi"..erm i dunno how to say that in english #confused

n if physics is wat they want...il do that to *shudders*

·
Registered
349 Posts
doin chem n bio this yr..if (Allah na karey/ god forbid) i dont get in il be picking up physics next yr (ew ew ew)..n if i dont do that il jus go 2 some other "muslim" country..so my parents are assured that im safe.

·
Registered
180 Posts
doin chem n bio this yr..if (Allah na karey/ god forbid) i dont get in il be picking up physics next yr (ew ew ew)..n if i dont do that il jus go 2 some other "muslim" country..so my parents are assured that im safe.
true that's a good option to take physics next year for people who want a backup if they dont get into UK and they wanna do 100% the medicine course....

but man why do PAKISTAN NEED PHYSICS...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wonder the same thing!! I have to take a seperate physics course outside of school because i refuse to take physics in school, b/c the teacher is a WITCH!! but anyhow, i heard physics isn't thaaaat bad?? Did anyone take their SAT 2's in physics??

:happy:

·
Registered
349 Posts
the last time i did physics was 5 yrs ago! and the only thing i remember is velocity and a parachute..dont see any relevance to med at all..khair if they want physics we jus gotta do physics i guess

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Interesting point. I wanted to know what are the employment oppurtunities for people who study in Pakistan but are British? So if someone does a medical degree there, has a British passport, is the chance good of them getting a job?

It should be, shouldn't it?
I was actually wondering the same thing, except I want to know how it is for Canadian born students who get a medical degree somewhere else. Does anybody know?

·
Registered
54 Posts
random question! are they opening a zara (clothing store) in islamabad?

what up with this new mall thing i keep hearing people talkin about

·
Registered
75 Posts
i just started taking physics at this uni because my high school physics teacher is also a WITCH!! about the SAT II's my friend took it for physics and he got a 750 he said it was a piece of cake as long as you knew the basics...i have no idea what that means :O!!! i think i'm might stay here for a year and then apply - sample some of that college life everybody keeps talking bout #wink

·
Registered
349 Posts
random question! are they opening a zara (clothing store) in islamabad?

what up with this new mall thing i keep hearing people talkin about

zara clear lipgloss is the shiz... #yes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Totally Agree with Malik

Hey there...
I totally agree with Malik on his assessment on life here in Pakiland! I go to King Edward in Lahore, mind you, I was born and raised in California, I went to a reputable University there for undergrad, and I ended up here. I was very depressed when I first came here...KE is in a slum, girls and guys are completely segregated for the first two years, the professors are jerks for the most part. Local students are pricks and they lie 2 you abt what to study, even other foreign students are weird...I guess I say that bc I am a confessed ABCD, you know, my URDU/Punjabi skills suck. But with all that said, you do get used to it here. My advice is to go to class everyday, DONT SKIP! Even if you think people are proxying you, they are prob lying! Do not live in the hostels, unless you can stand living in a slum, surrounded by filth! Do not live with relatives unless you completely trust them and they are there to look out for YOUR best interest, not their own. These are my own observations, Im sure everyone else has their own. At the end of the day, Pakistan is not a tourist destination, and we are not here for a vacation, it sucks, but we are here to study, if you keep that attitude, you will get by

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do not understand, why students from America want to come to Pakistan. Pakistan is a 3rd World country.

There is standardization of all the products here but, compared to America, Middleeast and few other 1st World countries, it is inferior.

Examples: The 100k is considered broadband here. All the branded products have inferior quality, there is so much counterfeit products here, it is ranked 146th in corruption, the examination system is decades old, literacy level is extremely low; the doctors are judged as big doctor and small doctor. Once you tell someone that you are not the professor or not the big doctor, that patient will become uncooperative.

What else you want to hear. I can write and write and write. My advice: Do not come here.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
It may be difficult, but it's not impossible to live here. All that stuff is of little importance when you're only going to spend five years there to get a medical degree which you would have a much longer and more difficult time getting in the US.

I disagree with your opinion of there being standardization of products here, but if it did exist, it sure would make life a little less stressful out here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
But spending 5 years for MBBS and then doing USMLE does not make any sense to me. The educational resources available in US are much more superior then here.

In US there is a modern method of teaching based on research, here its very old method.

I just gave my opinion. All of my opinions are based on KEMU in Lahore.

The standardization of most of the products is not present, but its being adopted, the international brands follow there own standard. But all of it is inferior to 1st world country.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Medical school for the first three years is the same everywhere. It's taught out of the same basic sciences books. Clinical teaching is much better abroad than it is in the US because almost everything has already been cured or vaccinated against in the western countries. You have a lot more exposure to different clinical scenarios in person in a Pakistani medical school. In one day you'll see ten patients with hepatitis, ten with hernias, ten with diabetes, ten with chromosomal abnormalities, etc, etc, the list goes on. To get that same exposure in the US you'd have to spend a lifetime in the clinic.

The methods of teaching basic sciences here are the same as they are in the US, more or less. Clinical experience in Pakistan is far better than American med schools, and it's for this reason that westerns do their electives in 3rd world countries, instead of their own hospitals.

Besides, you do most of the real learning once you get a residency. In my opinion that's the only point where it becomes necessary to learn the most advanced treatments and practices.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts