Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I'd start a thread: how many and what languages do you speak? Favorite language to speak, languages you know enough to get by in, dreaded languages that you took in high school etc...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
english, pashto is my native language, 2 years of Arabic and 7 years of French--and am hoping to learn some urdu

·
Registered
349 Posts
english and urdu....my fave language to speak would have to be punjabi...i can understand some bengali enough to reply in urdu with..and did spanish 4 3 yrs at school and hated it :D

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
it's mainly english for me. i can understand urdu easily but my pronunciation is pretty rusty(working on it though). a few years of spanish in school...enough to get by

·
Registered
349 Posts
hindcos cool, its such a "godfather" type language..and the most confusing thing in urdu for me is gettin my masculines and feminines right...

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
i'd like to learn punjabi...all the teachers make jokes in punjabi and i'm the odd one out that has no idea what the hell they're saying...

·
Registered
349 Posts
yea punjabi is the best langauge to cuss in..urdu is way to nice...you cant even argue in it...tahts why i tend to mix english with urdu when im angry :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Great thread! Very interesting.... Anyway, I speak english, spanish, creole (all three fluently) and enough french to get by. The only thing I picked up in this forum of what I think is urdu is inshallah?! #yes I think it means God willing, right?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nice urdu skills Natacha! lol

Well I obviously speak English,then I speak Urdu, Saraiki(dilect of Punjabi and Sindhi), enough Spanish to order food and the quantity of food example(uno burrito) and ask how you and your family are doing, Arabic:all stuff i pick up from my freinds, ohh and one word in Luthwanian(Kurva)

Whats up dawg?
Kia hall hay kutay?
Kia haal hin kutay?
Que pasa perro?
Kaifak kalb?

hahaha...I think that sums up my lingual skills pretty well...

·
Registered
349 Posts
heheheehe...thats funnnnyyyy wasonbaloch! n sh245 shall we teach u urdu n u can teach us ur language?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahh yeah sadia please do teach me urdu, if i go to pakistan next year i'll be sooo lost!! A lil urdu for some pashto hahahhaa

Natacha, mon oncle habite a la republic dominicaine, je veux le visiter au printemps --too bad i just don't have the time right now :(

·
Registered
349 Posts
cool its a deal..my urdu is nt perfect..but one shall try...besides almost everybody here can speak urdu so they'll help us out ia :D

list which phrases you want to learn n we'll try to hook u up

and id like to know how u say

hows life?
what have u been upto?
im fine
where ahve you been?

in pashto thank you :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like this thread! sounds cool! well i can speak english, pretty good urdu, arabic...i can get by in, punjabi...i can understand everything and talk a little, but if i were to talk in punjabi everyone would crack up because have this weird english/punjabi accent...so yea!! #yes Yea, Sadia, we'll help u teach urdu, inshAllah =D! but wait, does anyone know how to speak that karachi urdu?! omg their urdu is soooo polite and perfect and every word ends with "ijiye" or something, like aap ye leijiye, aap ye keijiye! i would love to learn that!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok let me give this a shot
Pashto:

hows life?
Sungeh-chal -thay? (direct translation means how are you)

what have u been up to?
Thaso se kaye? (directly means "what are you doing" I don't know exactly how to say what have you been up to)

im fine
ze jor-yum / ze-tik yum (or you can just remove the ze part)

where have you been?
Thaso charta way?

okay!!! yyaaay my turn... :)

If someone can translate these into urdu that would be great:

1) Where are you from?
2) How much does this cost?
3) What road is this?
4) I understand a little bit of urdu

5) John Abraham is hot

(hahaha :) )

·
Registered
305 Posts
Haha... Thanks Mastahriz and everyone else who commented on my little urdu there... It's always fun to learn another language.

To sh425:

Cest domage parce que je voulais te reconaitre #sorry Mais a une autre fois.#yes
Either way I hope that you will be able to make it someday! InshAllah! #grin

1 - 20 of 104 Posts