Medical Students Forums banner

I forgot all about basic science subjects.

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Majid 
#1 ·
Hi,i am graduated in medicine in italy (it takes six years).So it was long time that i have studied the basic science subjects.i forgot about anatomy,biochemistry,histology,embriology etc........So i want to study these materials in texts instead of review books or high-yield books alone sothat i can understand the concepts better.if i use only review books i must memorize instead of understand.i have also studied in italian language.So which book could you suggest me for these materials?what about the time?i think i will study hard but i have difficulty to estimate the time enough for me to prepare for step1.any advice will be useful for me.i think those who take step1 soon after their 2nd or 3rd have an advantage cuz they can answer the questions based on their preparation from review books but also from their class lesson(they have fresh memory).i miss the last one advantage
help please

#2 ·
If I understand you correctly you want to know which English books you can use to read up on these subjects. Well, the ones most commonly used in American medical schools are:

Gross Anatomy: Keith L. Moore's Clinical anatomy or Richard Snell's Clinical Anatomy

Embryology: Langman's medical embryology

Physiology: Arthur C. Guyton's Medical Physiology

Biochemistry: Lippincott's 3rd Edition for Biochemistry

Histology: Ross's Medical Histology

I'm just taking a guess as to the name's of the books but those are all the authors. Hope this helps.

And please refrain from double posting. Thanks :)

#5 ·
Hi thank you MastahRiz and Majid for your help.From the list of textbooks i have used in my school only Physiology Guyton.Is this book "Basic Medical Biochemistry:A Clinical Approach by Dawn B., PH.D. Marks, Allan D. Marks, Colleen M. Smith" is more used in american schools?Which textbook is more used in american medical school for CLINICAL NEUROLOGY and hematology? Sorry for the flooding,i made an error.this room is good

#7 ·
Hi thank you MastahRiz and Majid for your help.From the list of textbooks i have used in my school only Physiology Guyton.Is this book "Basic Medical Biochemistry:A Clinical Approach by Dawn B., PH.D. Marks, Allan D. Marks, Colleen M. Smith" is more used in american schools?Which textbook is more used in american medical school for CLINICAL NEUROLOGY and hematology? Sorry for the flooding,i made an error.this room is good
the book basic medical biochemistry looks more like a textbook rather than a review, it has 900 pages, so it depends on the type of knowledge you are looking for, best thing to do is read the reviews on the pages, but if you're looking for a review, then i've heard the Lipincott's is the best one.

Amazon.com: Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach: Books: Colleen Smith,Allan Marks,Michael Lieberman

Amazon.com: Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry (Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Series): Books: Pamela C Champe,Richard A Harvey,Denise R Ferrier

Here's a book for clinical neurology, since Lange books are quite good to learn from, since they have all the facts:

Amazon.com: Clinical Neurology (Lange Medical Books): Books: Michael J. Aminoff,Robert R. Simon,David Greenberg

Amazon.com: Hematology in Clinical Practice: Books: Robert S. Hillman,Kenneth A. Ault

best thing to do is check the reviews, or check in a book shop, but these books are quite good, since the ones listed already are used by medical students across Europe too if you want good text.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.