Medical Students Forums banner
341 - 360 of 360 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Help Needed

Hello Everyone,
I am a Third Year Medical student in Pakistan. I want to go for clinical electives in a US hospital in summers of 2012. I want to get residency in 'General Surgery' in a US hospital in Future INSHALLAH.
I want to know that at this stage (3rd Year M.B.B.S) which field would be the best for me to do clinical electives so that in the future my chances of getting a U.S Residency becomes bright in "General Surgery"?
As General Surgery is taught in Fifth Year M.B.B.S in Pakistan would it be the right option for me to apply for clinical electives in "General Surgery in 3rd Year"? If not then which field would be the most suitable?
I am expecting help from everyone who has an answer especially Rehan bhai :) or Rizwan bhai :)
Thanks a lot in advance #happy

· Registered
2 Posts
Rehan, thanks a lot for all the information you've posted it was really helpful for me!
I know this post it's really old, but it still helps people who are searching for clinical elective opportunities. I am trying to contact the student coordinator in JHMS but i could't get to her yet. I have a question about johns hopkins elective rotations, and maybe you could help me..... in their website they have a link "visiting students policy" which I entered and read < and they actually accept non-LCME accredited students.... but i'm not sure if they accept any of them or students from schools that have a previous arrangement with JHMS.
thank you very much, and hope to contact you soon....
Belen.

· Registered
4 Posts
HEY REHAN BHAI.I M JUST DNE WD MY 3RD YEAR EXAMS FROM AMC ABTBD,PAKISTAN.HOPEFULLY I WUD GET CLINICAL ELECTIVES IN CARDIOLOGY DEPT NEWZEALAND AS MY APPLICATION IS UNDER DA PROCESS AND I HAD APPLIED IN TIME AND MY EXAM MARKS TO DATE ARE EXTRAORDINARY ALHAMDULILLAH.........I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS (1)AS FAR AS THE RESEARCH ELECTIVES AT JHU ARE CONCERNED DO I NEED TO SUBMIT OTHER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS ALONG WD APPLICATION FORM AT DA TIME OF APPLICATION TO REGISTRAR'S OFFICE OR THE OTHER DOCUMENTS NEED TO BE SUBMITTED ONLY AFTER AN ELECTIVE PLACEMENT IS CONFIRMED (2)I HAVE HEARD THAT USMLE CAN HELP ONE NOT ONLY GETTING RESIDENCY IN USA BT THEY R ALSO VALID FR NEWZEALAND??????Z IT TRUE????????BECX IF IT Z SO THEN I SHALL BETTER FOCUS ON AUKLAND'S ELECTIVES BECX USA IS ALWAYS A BIG ASK AS COMPARED TO OTHER COUNTRIES.................THATS IT.AND YEAH,REHAAN BHAI IF U DONT HAVE ANY INFO ABT MY 2ND QUESTION PLX CAN U GET IT CONFIRMED FR ME FRM SM GENUINE AUTHORITY OR SOMEBDY INFORMED ABT THAT.ACTUALLY I COULDNT FOUND THAT SORT OF INFO FRM NET AND MY SENIORS SAY THAT SO.............

· Registered
15 Posts
My experience at Johns Hopkins in the Pediatrics Ophthalmology department was wonderful and I encourage everyone else who is looking for a place to do an elective to apply to Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
!
I got accepted for a research elective in JHU for five weeks in paedriatic cardiology. The doc who accepted me is a Phd. I really wanted this elective but now i don't know if it's going to be of any help. The doctor said someone in the group is going to be mentor me while I'm there. What if in the end I don't even get a good LOR? Is it worth it?

· Registered
1 Posts
electives database

Hi,

I know this reply is 6 years late, but I've just found out on the aamc electives database that John's Hopkins doesn't accept International students for electives. Is this a recent development or is this information false?

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Rehan,

lovely post:) Do you know anything about Cooks County John H. Stroger Hospital in Chicago? I am contemplating doing a peds cardio elective there. I wanted to know if you could tell me something about Cooks County ?

Thanks a ton :)

· Registered
71 Posts
Hi,

I know this reply is 6 years late, but I've just found out on the aamc electives database that John's Hopkins doesn't accept International students for electives. Is this a recent development or is this information false?
I'm pretty sure this is a recent development. Pretty unfortunate too.

· Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone applied through the American Elective website? If anyone has, please let me know I would love to hear about your experience! Also, I know electives are not possible once you have completed your final year of medical school, but are they allowed in Pakistan? Like can you do an elective in Pakistan after graduation?
Thanks!

· Registered
1 Posts
College Affiliation Needed?

hello rehan you have been really informative .. but i have one question .. i read on john hopkins site ,they had mentioned that visitor students can only be from institutions affliated to hopkins .. so my question is whether ur clg in pakistan was affliated to hopkins or there is no such condition thanks in advance

· Registered
1 Posts
3rd Year Electives

Hello Rehan. Thankyou for the awesome post. I have a Question, how many weeks of USCE is required to land a residency in US? so that we can plan our clinical electives accordingly. As, you know in Pakistan, we start our core clerkships in 3rd year which we finish by Final year, is there any chance that we can obtain a US clinical elective before final year? do you know of any US hospital/university which accepts 3rd or 4th year international medical students?

· Registered
223 Posts
I want to know that how can a 4th year MBBS student of Pak join any good reputed hospital of USA for purpose of electives?
You could use AAMC's EEC to search up elective opportunites all over the US that accept international medical students. Everything you need to know is given over there. Here's the link:

https://services.aamc.org/eec/students/

Good Luck.

· Registered
12 Posts
I'm Azeez Ullah from Khyber medical collage ,i'm 1st year student ,i'm interested in research work very much , I really wana contribute something speacil to medical world in field of neurology . I has not enough knowledge about it but i wana start work on it from now .I also want to qualify USMLE as well ....so what should i need to do for these two things to achieve them ,right from now ................

· Registered
1 Posts
Electives In Australia Vs US

What is the standing in the US of an elective done in an Australian hospital? Would a LOR from Australian doctor be considered equal to one from a physician in the US, when you apply for US residency?

Thanks.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hello Rehan,
I am student of MBBS from Pakistan and completed my 1st of MBBS year. I am currently enrolled in 2nd year. I am looking for observerhip/research electives.
Is that possible to do observership/research electives in John Hopkins during my 2nd year ?
STEP 1 OR TOFEOL REQUIRED OR NOT FOR RESEARCH ELECTIVES ?
Anyone know which hospital accepts 2nd year students for observership/research electives. ?
Please share your ideas.

· Registered
2 Posts
Being a student at a Pakistani medical college myself, I know that to practice in America I will need to have a somewhat competitve application after graduation in order to secure a residency spot in the field of my choice. After talking to some professors and figuring out what I needed to make myself a competitive applicant I realized that after USMLE scores the two most important things were hands on clinical experience and participating in research electives, both in American hospitals. So last year I had the chance to visit two US hospitals and participate in a clinical and research elective. The first hospital where I participated was Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD. At that time I was interested in Pediatrics so I went to the Hopkins website and began searching for faculty in the different pediatrics departments and wrote down their names. Then in order to contact them I had to search for their e-mail addresses. The e-mail addresses are not always easy to find and Hopkins' site is no exception. In order to find out the e-mails of the people I wanted to work with, I found this site where I was able to search by doctor name and get a corresponding e-mail address. After finding e-mail addresses of all the people who I would write to regarding the opportunity for a research elective I drafted an e-mail in which I could change the names of the physicians easily and send out to multiple receipients. In the e-mail I was sure to include:
  1. which year of medical school I was in at the time
  2. how much previous clinical/research experience I had already obtained at my home school
  3. the fact that I would be responsible for all costs associated w/ housing, transportation, and registration (if required)
  4. and that I am very interested in the field in which I am applying and am seriously considering pursuing it as a career choice
All pretty much common sense stuff but from what I've seen, it really does boost your chances in securing a spot. The next thing to do is e-mail as many people in a department or in different departments as you can. You're working on the shotgun approach here---you send out 15-20 e-mails and hopefully will get a response back from about 3-5 of them. Many times doctors are simply too busy to cater to a medical student and therefore the more people you get in touch with, the better your chances are of getting accepted. Once a doctor e-mails you back expressing interest in having you with his or her department it is your duty to foster that line of communication and maintain it until you actually do go for your elective. Doctors are simply too busy to have the time to follow up after your request for an elective so the name of the game here is persistence. Many times requesting to be put in touch with the doctor's secretary can help you out a lot in figuring out what paperwork you need to send and where's the best place to secure housing. Be sure to send in all your paperwork as soon as possible and if you require a visa give yourself at least 90 days before you have to go in order to apply (especially if you are male). If you request Johns Hopkins International Student Center to send you an official letter confirming your elective dates, you can submit that as proof to the US Embassy which will make it much easier for you to obtain a B1/B2 Travel Visa. My experience at Johns Hopkins in the Pediatrics Ophthalmology department was wonderful and I encourage everyone else who is looking for a place to do an elective to apply to Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. After you've gotten in touch with the doctor you intend to work with, contact the Office of the Registrar via their website and request the paperwork you need to complete in order to be a Visiting Medical Student. Last but not least, keep in close contact w/ the registrar's office, the physician and the US Consulate and if you get your Visa for travel to the US, you should be all set to arrive at Johns Hopkins and partake in some of the most intriguing and ground breaking research happening in the United States. :p I apologize if any of this is unclear--I wrote it up in a hurry but please feel free to ask any questions you have! Also others who have already done research/clinical electives elsewhere, please let us know about them and how you were able to get them!
Aoa, I wanted to ask if you know about applying to clinical electives through vslo

341 - 360 of 360 Posts