Medical Students Forums banner
321 - 340 of 360 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
ohh lets c..my elective is at the Kennedy Krieger Institute..i guess thats not a part of the Johns Hopkins Neurology Dept...i think its a separate entity..so the chances of workin wid the neurosurgery dept seems very limited.

from wut u said, i presume ur friend wants to do a residency in neurosurg. did the elective at JHU in NS help him? If yes, in wut way was it beneficial?

thanx..ur very fast at replying!
I can't stress enough how much it has helped him. Because of his research elective this past summer, his faculty advisor is allowing him to return back for clinical electives in neurosurgery this coming winter, and also just putting that he did a research elective on his CV and that he received an LOR from a faculty advisor at JHU has allowed him to be accepted for electives at the University of Pittsburgh and Mayo Clinic just to name a few. A great LOR from JHU can open doors!

· Registered
1 Posts
Ok i'm new here , no questions at all "at least not yet" ,, may i say that this topic has been a tremendous help to me ,, u guys set a great example for generosity ,, all the members here who answered all these questions, really thank you from all my heart ,, i wish u accept me as ur younger brother and it'd be an honor to me to learn more from u all :)

G

·
This is really amazing. Pretty nice post up there...actually i have been accepted for an elective at JHU in Neurology. The elective is a research elective. Was wondering how you were able to participate in clinical activities being an international student.

· Registered
3 Posts
Elective pointers..

Hey guys, first of all congrats to the people who got research and elective opportunities.

I got a clinical elective in a university (2 months), all i can say is email every program that sounds interesting for you. I wrote hundreds of emails and hundreds of ... WE DO NOT TAKE IMG's etc etc .. so dont be discourage, someone can open you a door.

I read the entire thread, but didnt find anything about what im going to ask..

Once you get the elective,

Can someone please advice me in DO's and Dont's
I really like the program ill attend, i want to impress them. Im going for 2 internal medicine specialties, any advice would help.

I've looked everywhere, just got the basic :

1. Be the first to arrive and the last to leave.
2. Be proactive and volunteer for extra work
3. Dont miss a day even if they tell u
4. Know your patients.

But any other specific pearls of wisdom would be well recieved!!#happy

· Registered
1 Posts
thank you for the useful information. but I was wondering when did you apply for research/clinical elective-was it during your 5th year or your intern year after your final prof. Im going to start my 3rd year soon inshallah and I was wondering when would be the best time to start applying for electives.

· Registered
496 Posts
@ topic. I am hearing that Shifa now gives breaks for Electives to their student's after 2nd year..?

And also, since you said that it's important to take part in a research elective that you can get published in, can you please name the places where there are frequent publications, and that would give me a better chance over other IMG's applying.

· Registered
14 Posts
@ topic. I am hearing that Shifa now gives breaks for Electives to their student's after 2nd year..?

And also, since you said that it's important to take part in a research elective that you can get published in, can you please name the places where there are frequent publications, and that would give me a better chance over other IMG's applying.
It's doubtful that you get breaks just for electives. You get a 2 month vacation between 4th and final year that most students use for electives but since the college intends these breaks to be used for clinical electives it wouldn't make sense that they also give you a similar break after 2nd year when you haven't even started clinical rotations. (Moral of the story: don't pay attention to rumors.)

As for frequent publications, that's something that changes all the time. You should check out pubmed or US Top Hospitals and dig around to see who are the big names and big hospitals and who publishes a lot and in which field. You can find all that kind of information from faculty web pages.

There isn't a single or even a list of ten hospitals that are going to help you get into a residency program just because they publish. Any place that publishes (and there are literally thousands of them) will get you published and help you as compared to others.

· Registered
3 Posts
Assalamo alaikum :) Thank you its really helpful..:)
I am too new in here,just took my exam of first year of MBBS, If you can guide me about studies..? Like i have plans for USMLE and further research but i need guidance as i m too new in this field..
I hope a reply soon =)

· Registered
1 Posts
hello neurotic1234 and rehan.....i am new to this forum found u guyz on google....found this page extremley useful....and before i ask you my querries i would like to congratulate both of you for gainin an elective at jhu...#happy..u guyz hit the bulls eye...

i am currently in my 3rd year and will entering 4th year in jan '12 and i am very much keen on doing surgery..especially neuro and have been reading different forums..and obviously ive realised tht getting surgery in usa is very difficult...and a research/clinical elective in neurology will go a long way to help me..

wt i wld like to know is...what all did you submit to the university for your neuro elective..i mean apart from your 4 years med scholl certificates and your deans noc..like your usmle score,other credentials...coz i dont have any so far...and i am good in grades..though not extraordinary...but i can work hard in my final year and step1..i am really ready on doin whatever it takes to get a neuro elective at jhu...

please any wisdom from you end...will make me feel much better and help m a gr8 deal....

thnx...#happy

· Registered
2 Posts
HI, i just came accross this post and it seems to be very helpful! I'm currently a 2nd year med student at the ziauddin university in karachi ,Pakistan . I'm really looking forward to apply for a research elective abroad by thend of this year for which i need to start applying now. From a good guidance through my seniors ive come to a conclusion that a an official research elective wont be of any use since they dont usually take people from 2nd year and the ebst way to do itis to find emails and mail all the doctors 1 If anyone could please help me and get me started with the process will be really really appreciated , regard , rabya!

· Registered
1 Posts
HI, i just came accross this post and it seems to be very helpful! I'm currently a 2nd year med student at the ziauddin university in karachi ,Pakistan . I'm really looking forward to apply for a research elective abroad by thend of this year for which i need to start applying now. From a good guidance through my seniors ive come to a conclusion that a an official research elective wont be of any use since they dont usually take people from 2nd year and the ebst way to do itis to find emails and mail all the doctors 1 If anyone could please help me and get me started with the process will be really really appreciated , regard , rabya!
Hey Rabya
i think if you read the first post in this thread by Rehan, you would find the necessary information you are looking for. I'm also a 2nd year med student in cairo-egypt and im looking for the same thing for next summer, so I'm following the steps mentioned by rehan and i hope it would work for both of us. best luck

· Registered
45 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I am a Third Year Medical student in Pakistan. I want to go for clinical electives in a US hospital in summers of 2012. I want to get residency in 'General Surgery' in a US hospital in Future INSHALLAH.
I want to know that at this stage (3rd Year M.B.B.S) which field would be the best for me to do clinical electives so that in the future my chances of getting a U.S Residency becomes bright in "General Surgery"?
As General Surgery is taught in Fifth Year M.B.B.S in Pakistan would it be the right option for me to apply for clinical electives in "General Surgery in 3rd Year"? If not then which field would be the most suitable?
I am expecting help from everyone who has an answer especially Rehan bhai :) or Rizwan bhai :)
Thanks a lot in advance :)

321 - 340 of 360 Posts