Medical Students Forums banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
me being as curious as my cat i have a quick question...when you go onto a member profile..theres a little section saying "referrals" some people have a number next to it and others have zero what does it mean? thank you..
Good question Sadia. Referrals mean how many other people you have referred to our forum who then signed up and became members. I don't know if you remember but when you register for an account here, it asks you to list the user name of any person who referred you to the board.

So if you told a friend to join, and for the Referral name they entered Sadia, you would get one referral point and on your profile your referral number would increase by one.

Reactions: MastahRiz

·
Registered
349 Posts
cool thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
okay i wanted to suggest...tht y dnt v make a test section...or u know a case section where u can paste a case and ppl can solve it...its interesting...c like whr i study we have PBL's tht is problem based learning...and we are given cases to solve...it has jumps to solve...and there are 2 sessions...we won't go like that..but since ia m a 2nd yr student we get to know new terminoligies and we search 4 it...its like to help us make our studies clinically oriented parallel to basics....and its interesting to solve teh mystery of the case...and you get to lkearn alot...in the end those who can solve it correct ummmmmmm give them a gift haha....okay thts a joke...but u can in the same way coem up with one best options...i hope i am able to explain....its just a suggestion....

·
Registered
83 Posts
As i read posts, threads, i notice that a lot of people post same questions or similar questions that have already been asked and answered, either in that thread or some other one. I also noticed that you have mentioned that users should search before they post a question. I was wondering if you could add some kind of notice in FAQ link under "Reading and Posting Messages"OR when someone signs up for a medstudentz account they recieve a "How to use" or "What to do before you post a question" e-mail. Mostly new users post the same questions and that e-mail would help alot.

This happens in almost all of the threads that people ask the same question over and over again. I know you must be tired too telling people to search before they post becasue these posts are almost everywhere!! If they can't find it that's another case but they should be able to find it. If someone signs up and they recieve a notice or a message that says to search around threads and posts before posting a question, it would be one less person asking the same question again...! And it will also decrease the time we readers waste on reading and replying to these posts and there will be more space too. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am not able to EDIT my posts; I have edited my posts several times before. I thought maybe I wasn't logged on, but that was not the case; I logged off and logged back in to see of if it lets me edit now but no use, I thought maybe I am not allowed to edit posts now but the Posting Rules board at the bottom of the page states, "You may edit your posts."

I read "Reading and Posting Messages" under FAQ and i am thinking that maybe I am limited to how many times I can edit my posts depending on the setup of the forum, is that the case? I will keep trying though, it's not emergency ofcourse.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am not able to EDIT my posts; I have edited my posts several times before. I thought maybe I wasn't logged on, but that was not the case; I logged off and logged back in to see of if it lets me edit now but no use, I thought maybe I am not allowed to edit posts now but the Posting Rules board at the bottom of the page states, "You may edit your posts."

I read "Reading and Posting Messages" under FAQ and i am thinking that maybe I am limited to how many times I can edit my posts depending on the setup of the forum, is that the case? I will keep trying though, it's not emergency ofcourse.
Hi Junnat,

The system allows you to edit your posts up to 30 minutes after you have made them so that you can correct any spelling or grammatical errors or change your mind about what you wanted to write. After the 30 minute period however it becomes a permanent part of our forum and is no longer editable.

Hope this clears up any confusion you were having! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Junnat,
The system allows you to edit your posts up to 30 minutes after you have made them ...After the 30 minute period however it becomes a permanent part of our forum and is no longer editable.

Hope this clears up any confusion you were having! :)
Thanks Rehan Sahib! Yup, it clears all of my confusions.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i just wana thank u guys for making one of the guys brown in the logo (the surgeon guy on the right) because alot of the members of this site are desi in origin............go brownies!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Love the forum.

Is there any way to stay subscribed to a thread and receive notifications about posts even if we havent written any recent posts? It would be really helpful instead of always having to check back to see the newest posts.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Love the forum.

Is there any way to stay subscribed to a thread and receive notifications about posts even if we havent written any recent posts? It would be really helpful instead of always having to check back to see the newest posts.

Thanks.
Good question.

To stay subscribed to a certain thread you can simply scroll to the top of a thread while reading it and find the "Thread Tools" drop-down menu. From there you can select "Subscribe to Thread" or another way to become subscribed is to select "Instant email notification" in the Notification Type dropdown menu when you are making a reply to a post from the "Go Advanced" menu. If you are quick-replying to a post then there isn't an option to select the notification type.

If you always want to be subscribed to every thread you post in, all you have to do is click on the "USER CP" button near the very top of the site on the toolbar and then click on the "Edit Options" link on the left sidebar that shows up. If you scroll down in the Options you will see the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" which you can set to "Instant Email Notification".

Let me know if you have any questions! #nerd

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been wondering for awhile if the icons next to the threads mean anything. Sometimes there are arrows, sometmes sad or happy faces, sometimes thumbs up, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Purpose of Icons

I've been wondering for awhile if the icons next to the threads mean anything. Sometimes there are arrows, sometmes sad or happy faces, sometimes thumbs up, etc.
When a post is made, the creator has the option of picking an icon which is placed next to the post. It isn't anything super impt but it helps the post stand out a little bit and also adds some more color to the site!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.