Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am new on this grp n was thinkin tht someone might help me out on how to get research electives in karachi, pak
i actually came into 3 yr of med skool n heard tht we should do research electives which would help in future in residency in USA so i need guidance on whr to apply n when to apply for electives. i heard tht agha khan and kidney centre do allow research electives but i dont know how to apply for them n whr to get the information abt it.or should i also start mailing doctors tht i want to do research.
my second problem is tht i still cant make up my mind tht in which field should i specialize can some one also guide me in this area tht which field is getting oversaturated n i should not go in tht field n which might prove fruitful to me.
n in which area should i apply for research electives.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
hi i am new on this grp n was thinkin tht someone might help me out on how to get research electives in karachi, pak
i actually came into 3 yr of med skool n heard tht we should do research electives which would help in future in residency in USA so i need guidance on whr to apply n when to apply for electives. i heard tht agha khan and kidney centre do allow research electives but i dont know how to apply for them n whr to get the information abt it.or should i also start mailing doctors tht i want to do research.
my second problem is tht i still cant make up my mind tht in which field should i specialize can some one also guide me in this area tht which field is getting oversaturated n i should not go in tht field n which might prove fruitful to me.
n in which area should i apply for research electives.
BTW, you should really do electives outside of Pakistan if you're trying to impress someone in the US so far as to help get you a residency. They won't be nearly as interested if you've done electives in Pakistan. If you want a residency in the US, then do your electives there.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Rizwan's right, an elective in Pakistan and/or a letter of recommendation from a physician in Pakistan will almost always MEAN NOTHING to an American residency selection committee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey thnks a lot ppl 4 ur advice but the bad part is tht i wont be goin to US this yr but next yr so i tht if i am in pakistan why not try somethin here thts why i had especially asked for karachi as i had already checked tht link.
anyways my problem is still not solved so i guess i need to start searchin by myself .
i asked in this forum so tht if anyone had a chance to do some electives here how did he found out abt it.
n abt my 2nd prob in which field should i pursue no one gave an answer abt it....
n one more thing i am a girl n sorry for the weird name couldnt think of anythig else

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was planning on doing BDS from Pakistan. During breaks I was planning on coming back to the US and do some clinical research or some observership. Do you get enough time off in the summers to be able to do that

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
hey thnks a lot ppl 4 ur advice but the bad part is tht i wont be goin to US this yr but next yr so i tht if i am in pakistan why not try somethin here thts why i had especially asked for karachi as i had already checked tht link.
anyways my problem is still not solved so i guess i need to start searchin by myself .
i asked in this forum so tht if anyone had a chance to do some electives here how did he found out abt it.
n abt my 2nd prob in which field should i pursue no one gave an answer abt it....
n one more thing i am a girl n sorry for the weird name couldnt think of anythig else
It's hard for someone to tell someone else which field they should pick. That's something everyone has to figure out on their own.

And if you read over the thread on how people get electives in the US you can use the same methods to get electives in Pakistan.

And yes, there is enough time during summer/winter break for electives.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rizwan's right, an elective in Pakistan and/or a letter of recommendation from a physician in Pakistan will almost always MEAN NOTHING to an American residency selection committee.
Thanks Rehan for creating such a nice community for Medical students.

About the electives in Pakistan, i was thinking if research done in Pakistan by a doctor or student gets published in some foreign journals, will that not be convincing to American residency selection community?

I am new so please forgive me if i am missing something or wrong.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts

About the electives in Pakistan, i was thinking if research done in Pakistan by a doctor or student gets published in some foreign journals, will that not be convincing to American residency selection community?

Hi Myelin,

You raise an excellent point and ask a very good question. What I meant to say was that doing an elective and then simply getting a letter of recommendation from a physician in Pakistan would not amount to much in the eyes of an American selection committee.

However you're right, if a student was to successfully participate in some research in Pakistan and then subsequently get published in an American journal, that would most likely help their chances.

That being said, I'm not sure how easy or viable that option is -- research as an industry is almost non-existent in Pakistan. Just take a look at the big universities and how little funds they are willing to appropriate for research funding. Or see how many hospitals in Pakistan have medical ethics review boards for research proposals; you're sure to find that Pakistan is not very research-friendly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That being said, I'm not sure how easy or viable that option is -- research as an industry is almost non-existent in Pakistan. Just take a look at the big universities and how little funds they are willing to appropriate for research funding. Or see how many hospitals in Pakistan have medical ethics review boards for research proposals; you're sure to find that Pakistan is not very research-friendly.
Medical ethics review boards do exist in Pakistan, but they cannot be found because there is no information available about them online. Funds also are present for research.

In Pakistan there are very few opportunities to participate in these things and only those students get an opportunity who really deserve it in terms of there performance in studies and how good they are at studies.

There are few years left till Pakistan's Medical community become fully organized and makes its presence on the internet.

The research thing is not given importance because the students will do it for there CV for a shot at residency in America, England, Canada or Australia, this way those students will not add to the productivity of Pakistan.

I hope i have not bored you with my comments.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hello every one...
as 4 research electives in karachii..agha khan university has it....n then ziauddin uni has started research electives for students this yr...3rd yr students can doo it...
i dnt think any other university in karachi offers research electives or students..
plus there is a work shop on 3rd of march at PMA on research electives....attend tht

·
Registered
173 Posts

yeah...u r pretty rite! i have also heard that it really works then...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Shaukat khanam cancer hospital also offers reserach and clinical electives for 4th yr and final yr medical students. you can visit their website for the info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i'm sorry how these ppl have answered just about everything on the topic but failed to give u an answer to the question u had asked !!! It's simple , just write to em on [email protected] and ask em for the application of an elective. Once u get that , they have an option on it , AKU doesnt allow clinical electives till u r in the final year of ur med education so u tick the box which say research elective and than select the speciality that u r interested in . If u dont hear from em for a week , write again ! u also need to keep in mind that AKU works like any other american institute , so u need to apply atleast 4-5 months in advance if u r serious about getting a position.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts