Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a quick question and I was wondering if anyone in this speciality could help me.

(1)- I am a sophomore in Highschool and I am already taking some steps in reaching my goal, Cardiology, by taking 2 classes, "Health Science Technology 1" (basic terminology and CPR) and "Health Science Technology 2" (Working in the hospital environment).

(2)- I was wondering if anyone could walk me through the process of what I am supposed to do after I graduate and take my basics. (I plan on taking my basics at a community college and then furthering my medical future) I already know that I need 4 years of undergraduate (Chemistry w/lab, Biology w/lab, Physics w/lab, organic Chemistry w/lab ect.) I was wondering, would I take those at just any "Regular" college or what?
I also know that after that I need at least 4 years of med. school, 3 years of internship and residency, 3 years of fellowship in cardiology. Is there anything else that I should be aware of like roadblocks and things like that?...

I "Really" need help....I have my goal in front of me, I just can't reach far enough...

Sincerely and confused,

Mark...

:) hate me for wanting to know...#confused

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Hi Mark, welcome to Med Studentz.

You sure are ambitious and that's great because those are exactly the type of people that become physicians but at this point in time, what you're doing is more than adequate. In high school I'd recommend you volunteer at your local hospital, get to know some physicians, and maybe if you're lucky ask them if you could job-shadow them a few hours every week. This will serve two-fold, one in helping you learn what the profession is about on a practical and realistic level and the other in helping your college application and also helping you decide if medicine is really what you want to do.

If you do your basic requirements at a local community college, make sure you transfer to as prestigious of a 4-year university as you can. Work super hard to make sure you have top notch grades at your community college and then do your best in your university courses. Take the MCAT in your 3rd year and see a med school admissions counselor on campus (most schools have these).

In terms of length of education, you're correct. 4 years undergrad + 4 years medical school + 3 year residency in internal medicine followed by a few more years in a cardiology fellowship.....buuuuuut thats wayyy down the road, right now, just concentrate on getting some exposure and doing the best you can in your high school classes. Load up on advanced classes and do your best on the SAT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for your reply...and I certainly will volunteer at my local hospital(Walls Regional). Your "Welcome" and Information was really inviting and I hope to chat with you when ever I might need help...whether it be about my "Health science Tech." classes or anything else regarding med.

Thank you and hope to chat soon,

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts