Medical Students Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
hi kiran,

thanks for your response-its appreciated. Do let me knw how you get on at PIMS with paeds-should be fun...

Im probs going to try and make some contacts before heading out and i think some emailing around to varios unis in pak to see their response is the next step-although i think from the posts on herer i have a fair idea of what to expect. I think, and as you'll probs agree, paying an extra ?100 shouldnt be a major concern-esp if your going out to a somewhat foreign country-it'll just mean ill have to work earlier this summer to try and fund it. ALthough i do need to try and find out costs of diff unis and bear that in mind when applying. I probs wont crash into any of the guys on here going from the Uk, as im planning on going in early 2010 inshah-allah.

In terms of departments-are there any at shifa that are horribl and the current shifa students reccomend staying far away-the last thing you need is a moody consultant. OR are there any really interesting areas where lots goes on? Im quite opened to suggestions as to which departments to apply to whether it be medical or surgical.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To any Shifa medstudents can you please tell me what your halls are like and the campus atmosphere, including staff-student relationship?

Asalam waleykoum

I also wanted to know more information about the doctors at shifa, im pretty sure the students are very friendly with foreigners, but i have a problem : i dont speak urdu (but pashto) and i'm not used to speak in english, its very weak...do you think its a big problem?

Also, in france, they let me go abroad but i have to do my elective in surgery (perhaps general), do you think its possible ? because i saw somewhere else in the forum that surgeons let students go to surgery only if they have good basis in anat/physics (which is very not my case #sad )...

btw, will i be able to see other students during july in the halls, at the hospital or at the library? i want to make sure i'll be in contact with some students over there and make friends...i'm afraid i'll be doing everything on my own whereas i'm hampered coz i dont speak urdu...plus, i'd like to sightsee a lot islamabad...

perhaps it seems weird that i'm doing an elective ship in islamabad whereas i dont speak urdu, but i'm doing it for my future, i'd like to come back to pakistan when i'll be a doctor inshAllah...so i wanted to have a first contact with pakistani medical system and simply pakistani people

thank you all for your help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In terms of departments-are there any at shifa that are horribl and the current shifa students reccomend staying far away-the last thing you need is a moody consultant. OR are there any really interesting areas where lots goes on? Im quite opened to suggestions as to which departments to apply to whether it be medical or surgical.
Help please guys?

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
A lot goes on in anesthesia and the consultant, Dr. Shaukat let's students do everything he does himeslf.

Dr. Amer Nabi Nur is an awesome orthopedic surgeon who'll teach you a lot if you have a solid grasp on anatomy (meaning you know it extremely well).

Almost all consultants are like that at Shifa. If you know the basics of their field, anatomy/physio of the respective system, they'll be more than happy to teach you all the clinical knowledge they have.

However, if you go into the cardiology department, but you don't know the exact blood supply of the heart or how to read an EKG, or fluid mechanics etc, then they'll just kind of let you follow them around, won't really say much, and will let you know when you can go home for the day. Some will ask you to get them lunch. Or snacks. Possibly coffee.

No one that I'd avoid.

The patient to dr ratio is pretty high at Shifa, so regardless of what department you pick, they'll probably always have their hands full and if you show initiative, they'll start relying on you to do a lot more than just rotate and observe like a student.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a medical student at AIMC lahore and want to pursue electives in shifa international...I wanna know about the accommodation since It isn't given in detail on their site..will you plz help me regarding the accommodation expenses and rest if details regarding it

21 - 27 of 27 Posts