Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum and I'd appreciate everyones help.

Im currently, a medstudent in the UK and thinking of doing my elective in Pakistan-I've been to Pakistan a few times in the past but havent really been exposed to the medical world there-although I do have a realistic idea of what to expect.

My dilemma is that after doing some research-Ive decided to either go to Lahore or Islamabad. I know that King Edwards and Shifa are respectively the most popular schools. I was hoping that someone could help me please to give me an unbiased (or as much of one as poss) view abt the hospitals (patient size, facilities, disease exposure), and staff, which one would be most welcoming to foreign students, where would i get the most opportunities.

Also, I am planning on living in either Lahore or Islamabad during my stay-i would preferably like to go to somehwere that can give me a nice friendly campus feel where I can go and live in the residential halls-and hopefully get to know the pakistani medics! Also, I plan to go somewhere where I can freely wonder about and do my own thing at times-like go to the bazaar one afternoon without keep having to look over my shoulder lol. Some of mates who were born in Pakistan seem to think Lahore maybe the right option but im really looking for an open opinion from people already there. Apart from current Pakistani students, I would also appreciate the input of any UK/other foreign medics who may have done their electives in thess place. Simply put, I just want to have a worthwile elective.

Thanking you all in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info-appreciated.

I was speaking to a colleague of mine about this too. She s from India and was telling me that in at least the South of India-the government hospitals are seen as more prestigious compared to the private ones and are more difficult to get in.

I was wondering with shifa and king Edwards being private medical schools is this also the case-Not to say that the medschools you guys are attending are not prestigious but in the grand scheme of things would this affect my clinical placement there-would the teaching/opportunities be worse/better?... Also, if there are good government colleges/hospitals around these areas-I would appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction. I mean what would you recommend for an Elective private or government hospital and if the latter which one(s) and why? I'm just really confused and dont want to end up somewhere I dont like just beause I didnt do some proper research first.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. That was really useful.

Smeer, about the accomodation and their being lots of air pollution just out side the residence place-the only problem i have wth living away from the the universtiy site is that firstly, i dont know any of lahore and secondly (understanadbly) i dont really want to be walkig to the hospital every morning. However, its good to have the knowledge that the halls are in a mess! At least i have a good idea now. Also, its a shame to hear that the campus atmosphere is not that united. As for the hospital hygeine-im not that bothered abt it. At the end of the day its a developing country-trust me ive visited pakistan a few times and ive seen a lot of things ;) Lets just say it'll allow me to see 'a different side of the cube.'

Also, if the resources are not good here which place would you guys say has good facilities-Ive definitely ruled out karachi out of my to consider places.

To any Shifa medstudents can you please tell me what your halls are like and the campus atmosphere, including staff-student relationship?

thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
For you to go from a UK hospital which is the norm, and go to any Pakistani hospital for an elective, it's a big enough change for you to get a maximum amount of benefit regardless of where you do it.

Shifa and KE are both great places for an elective. If it were me, I think at this point I'd be basing my decision solely on where I'd get along better with the people and where I'd be more comfortable in terms of the living situation.
Exactly. Youve hit the nail on the head there. For me, I think I'd rather go to a place where I am made to feel welcome and people will readily allow me to get involved. The last thing I want is to go to a place where everyone looks at you like the 'outsider' and on top of that be catching taxis to the hospital every morning!

Ali9686, thanks so much bro-that was very informative. Its always good to hear the views of senior students as they really do understand some of the worries students like myselft have. You don't seem to put KE in a positive light-would I have to share my room and stuff at the uni accommodation there too? And in general ive heard the state of the rooms there are not so good. May I ask why?

TBH with all you guys, I originally thought of going to Islamabad when I was applying-with the logic that if its the capital then surely it'll be the most clean, better facilities etc. However, my parents have understanably been somewhat apprehensive abt me going to islamabad with the current political climate. And apart from that ahem certain familiy members saying Lahore for the shopping experience! Technically speaking, I could just ignore their advice and ead-off to Islamabad, however, id rather avoid the guilt cloud that would hover above me after doing so lol. Hence, the reason why im trying to dig out all the info abt Shifa and Lahore I can!

Finally, Riz can you tell me that if you have to share the room there with other medics-dosent that sometimes cause havoc esp if students dont get on? How would I know that ive not been place with a complete looney? I mean are any masures/precautions taken to minimise this?

Jazak-allah

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
hi kiran,

thanks for your response-its appreciated. Do let me knw how you get on at PIMS with paeds-should be fun...

Im probs going to try and make some contacts before heading out and i think some emailing around to varios unis in pak to see their response is the next step-although i think from the posts on herer i have a fair idea of what to expect. I think, and as you'll probs agree, paying an extra ?100 shouldnt be a major concern-esp if your going out to a somewhat foreign country-it'll just mean ill have to work earlier this summer to try and fund it. ALthough i do need to try and find out costs of diff unis and bear that in mind when applying. I probs wont crash into any of the guys on here going from the Uk, as im planning on going in early 2010 inshah-allah.

In terms of departments-are there any at shifa that are horribl and the current shifa students reccomend staying far away-the last thing you need is a moody consultant. OR are there any really interesting areas where lots goes on? Im quite opened to suggestions as to which departments to apply to whether it be medical or surgical.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In terms of departments-are there any at shifa that are horribl and the current shifa students reccomend staying far away-the last thing you need is a moody consultant. OR are there any really interesting areas where lots goes on? Im quite opened to suggestions as to which departments to apply to whether it be medical or surgical.
Help please guys?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts