Medical Students Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Sajjad,

Sorry the only information I have from doing res in UK and an International medical graduate is that you write Plab 1 and Plab 2 or something like that and their residency programs differ quite a bit as well compared to Canada and US. I only have info on Canada and USA at the moment as I myself am a Canadian. Ill try researching and asking around the next couple days and if i find some valuble information i'll post it here on the thread.
Not to worry. I would be kind of you if you please do ask around. I'll do some research as well. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey, thanks for the information, but I find it a bit misleading. It takes around 12-18 months to achieve WFME Recognition including the application process. As of yet, PMC has not achieved recognition status or applied for one, but they are figuring it out-- I remember somebody emailed the president of PMC and they replied that we are working on it. It probably is a finance problem since recognition costs US$ 60,000.
$60,000 USD isn't that much especially to gain accreditation for a whole country and all of its medical schools. It literally adds up to be one foreign students tuition in Pakistan over the 5 years (more if the student decides to go private). So are you sure money is the problem for them? Is PMC that broke?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up if you are from USA and applying to medical schools in pakistan this year. If so, I just wanted to let you know that after 2024, you will not be allowed to apply for residency programs in the USA with Pakistani medical schools degree (even if its from Aga Khan LOL). I am not making any of this up this is according to the ECFMG 2024 (previously 2023) announcement which I have referenced below. ECFMG is a certification international medical school graduates require before they apply to residency, or even take the one of the USMLE's. They require the country to have all of its medical schools accredited and Pakistan is not on the list nor have they applied for accreditation . It takes 6 years to become accredited so I don't want you guys to be stuck in a limbo half way ( or completely done) through your MBBS degree. I have referenced below the links as to what i am talking about.

ECFMG 2023 policy - World Federation for Medical Education
ECFMG 2023 policy states that starting 2023, physicians applying for USMLE will have to graduate from medical school that has been appropriately accredited.
wfme.org
wfme.org
ECFMG 2023 Accreditation Requirement – Moved to 2024 - The World Federation for Medical Education

you can also find this on the ECFMG website.

Girl you opened my eyes! Thanks dor sharing this information. So when I was searching the wfms,s website, I wasn't able to find any specific list of accreditation there. Do you have any link for that? Is pakistan just not mentioned there? I wonder what would those students do in future who are investing their time to eventually find out this.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts