Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AOA Everyone!
Well the title says it all: I just appeared for A Levels and I'm looking forward to taking the AKU test. I got 7A*s and 1A in O Levels and just took my A Levels in the 3 Sciences. However, a lot of people tell me that students with 4 or 5A*s in their A Levels apply as well and they also have also had loads of Extra Curriculars. Now, I haven't taken as many subjects and I don't have much to boast about when it comes to ECs either. I've written essays debated a few times and have participated in a few MUNs. I'm not a very sporty person either.
Do I still have a chance at AKU with so many other extraordinary students applying at the same time if, for instance, I get 1A* and 2As in my A Levels?

Also, I've asked a lot of people who passed the test and I've received varying opinions. Some say we are supposed to go for FSc books while others say SAT is the best for prep. Some also say that sticking to our A Levels books will help anyone get through.
Can someone tell me which option is the best and how do I prep in 2 months for the test since I haven't studied FSc at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I want to warn every girl to do not make the mistake of getting in touch with adenosine. He have no shame and misuse this forum. He will be very sweet but soon you will be in serious trouble. Aimer is a girl who contacted him and also gave her number and now she is so upset. I can not explain the real story. It is shameful. Just want to warn.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would've been much better if you just answered the questions I asked rather than telling me to stop talking to people without even knowing them myself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Heyy! I have the same questions. I heard that the test last year was solely fsc based rather than the usual SAT one but it would be really nice if someone helped out because i'm completely clueless

·
Registered
39 Posts
UsmanMalik and IqraAbbas, for heaven sake every1 knows now that adenosine is not a good guy and people r aware of that, so now plz instead of bragging about him in every thread, why don't you act a bit mature and try to answer the questions asked by the people. Thank you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
1. Ignore posts of trolls who have nothing better to do than to make false allegations and are a pathetic excuse for a human life.

2. Yes most of us have those thoughts when applying so you aren't alone, however, sheer number of grades/A*s and activities is not really a factor strong enough to override everything else. People with more subjects at A level and activities may not get in and those meeting the bare minimum may get in. It comes down to lots of factors and I believe it's the interview that matters most. Based on what you've described you have a decent shot at getting in so believe in yourelf and remain confident. Don't fall into self-doubt as that's going to reflect in your interview as well, so be content with what you have and do what you love, as that'll be more important than simply having hoards of certificates.

3. For the entry test, in my experience, the ideal scenario is having a strong grip on your A level and then sitting for the SAT Subject Tests as well as some of the topics there, especially in biology, overlap with topics in FSc, and after that, spend the summer right after A level exams studying and going through FSc books. Do look up the guide I wrote where I've gone into an in-depth discussion on entry test prep: https://goo.gl/Q4e8Wg
Your A level concepts need to be strong to begin with of course.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

UsmanMalik and IqraAbbas, for heaven sake every1 knows now that adenosine is not a good guy and people r aware of that, so now plz instead of bragging about him in every thread, why don't you act a bit mature and try to answer the questions asked by the people. Thank you.
Please ignore posts by UsmanMalik/IqraAbbas and all these other accounts made by the same person. This person also spams my inbox and is obsessed with defaming me on this forum while I have no intentions but to help juniors. All those who have personally talked to me in PMs as well as on various threads can vouch for my professionalism. This person is simply an internet troll who has nothing better to do. He literally creates stories out of thin air without any proof whatsoever and even warns me in my inbox that he's going to do that haha. Amazing. I'm honestly impressed at the diligence though. Has been at it since 2017.

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow adenosine you should be awarded for this answer. How easily you blamed others just to remove yourself from all the shameful things you are doing from a long time. It is you who is not alone in this shameful dirty buisness. His friends berniesandal and mdaiem are also involve. How much time do you take for making such stories on your own. I think it will be better if you pay all that time to your studies.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahmed I was trying to make other people aware of that guys bad character because there are some new users on this forum. He cant even prove him self. If we are wrong then he must prove it. Now its upto people to decide.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lol. Hilarious man. Kindly don't detrack this thread and let people who want to seek answers get them. Burden of proof always lies on the person making the allegations in case you were unaware of that. Anyway, if anyone is interesting in asking anything else please feel free to do. Will not be directly engaging in this anymore. The moderators and admins know who is who and what is what. They're the ones who have also banned you countless times. Now will you say they are involved too? Lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lol. Hilarious man. Kindly don't detrack this thread and let people who want to seek answers get them. Burden of proof always lies on the person making the allegations in case you were unaware of that. Anyway, if anyone is interesting in asking anything else please feel free to do. Will not be directly engaging in this anymore. The moderators and admins know who is who and what is what. They're the ones who have also banned you countless times. Now will you say they are involved too? Lol.
I dont need to prove anything. adenosine you are so funny although shameless. Still defending your shameless self. Let people decide they have their minds and are wise enough. Not interestd in talking to a man like you to be very straight forward.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I'll get started with just shuffling through the A Levels books quickly (just to refresh my concepts) and go one with SAT and FSc.
Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestions Adenosine. You've been a great help. :):)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, everyone!

The AKU test just took place, and here's my breakdown of it:

• English Test
Nothing too far from an 10th grade grammar and vocabulary test. Most students could cross the 90 percent mark without any extensive preparation.

• (The dreaded) Science Test:

1. Biology: This section was almost entirely derived from SAT 2, and interestingly, the part that overlaps with FSc. You could easily have solved much of this section if you had read Barron's thoroughly.

2. Chemistry: This section was entirely derived from Intermediate-level Chemistry. As expected, most of the questions tested Inorganic and Organic Chemistry (more or less in equal proportions). Not a single question on benzene, which is new. Out of the most important Intermediate Organic reactions, only one - on the Grignard reagent - showed up.

3. Physics: This was the easiest section, and could have been solved very well whether you were an A Levels or an FSc student, if you knew your syllabus well. Only a few questions that were exclusively from FSc, unlike the two previous sections.

Difficulty level? Not very. I was surprised to see that most of the questions from the Biology, Chemistry, and Physics sections, on the contrary, were based on rote-learning - that is, you either knew the answer clearly or you didn't. But then, I didn't expect the test to be very conceptual, given that we had to solve 120 MCQs in 120 minutes. Importantly, it was good advice to study SAT 2 for the test. None of the concepts more difficult to grasp, such as Growth and Development (FSc Biology second year) or electronics (Physics), or solutions (Chemistry)

I remember reading a number of the same reactions on the Chemistry section from the FSc second year (Punjab) textbook, and diagrams and even lines from SAT 2 (Barron's) Biology. Skimming, of course, wouldn't have done you much good.

This was confirmed following a discussion with the other students - A Levels students had found the Chemistry section exceptionally hard, a few from Biology, a few from Physics (didn't interact with anyone from FSc).

4. Math Reasoning: This wasn't too different from your standard O Levels or Matric math. On a few questions, there was an element of logic involved, but not very strong, and the calculations weren't too lengthy.

5. Science Reasoning: A rather disappointing section. There was practically nothing that required any actual reasoning or cognitive skills. A mixture of questions from the pure sciences. Those who're repeating this year said that they saw a few of the same questions last year recycled here. One question from the Math Reasoning section even showed up in this section!

I left 10 questions in total - one from Biology, two from Chemistry, two from Physics, four from Math Reasoning, and one from Science Reasoning. Couldn't finish Math because of time pressure. A couple of careless mistakes. Which is somewhat disappointing, but on the whole a good experience.

What did you guys think about the test? Which section(s) did you find particularly difficult? Was the time sufficient? Did you leave questions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
I also gave the test. The only section that was disappointed indeed was science reasoning or maybe I was not expecting it to be like that. The others were fine. Yes, as an Alevel student I too felt that the chemistry portion was majorly from FSc books. I personally had a hard time on a few of them since I did not study much from the FSc books just skimmed once through them which was ofcourse not a good choice. I actually had to leave a few questions unattempted. I dont know if I were the only one who found time to be insufficient but I was not able to solve all of the maths questions (the portion that I attempted at the end). Overall I believe the test was not too tough although it did involve some difficult questions.
On the other hand, do you know if they will courier us our result or we'll just have to view it online?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I wonder who noticed that the time for the sciences, science reasoning and math was just 2 hours instead of the ussual 2hrs15 minutes. So I expect the passing percentage to be around 61-63%.Chemistry was by far the most problematic. The rest were ok. Any

·
Registered
18 Posts
i actually thought the test was easier than i expected, maybe i expected a very scary test
i didn't have much time to prepare from a of the f sc and SAT books (i am an a levels student) but i believe for people who had done SAT2 and fsc; the test would've been very easy. I left a total of 12 questions mostly due to negative marking, don't really have any expectations of getting in based off of how my test went but still hoping for the best

- - - Updated - - -

Well I wonder who noticed that the time for the sciences, science reasoning and math was just 2 hours instead of the ussual 2hrs15 minutes. So I expect the passing percentage to be around 61-63%.Chemistry was by far the most problematic. The rest were ok. Any
any idea what the passing percentages were in the previous years?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i actually thought the test was easier than i expected, maybe i expected a very scary test
i didn't have much time to prepare from a of the f sc and SAT books (i am an a levels student) but i believe for people who had done SAT2 and fsc; the test would've been very easy. I left a total of 12 questions mostly due to negative marking, don't really have any expectations of getting in based off of how my test went but still hoping for the best

- - - Updated - - -

any idea what the passing percentages were in the previous years?
I think the cut off was 64% last year, not sure though.

Any idea when do the test results come out? And can we check them online or do they only send a letter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the cut off was 64% last year, not sure though.

Any idea when do the test results come out? And can we check them online or do they only send a letter?
they announced during the test that results will be announced by end of July and they'll be available online and to not call the admission office and ask them for the results, also they mail you if you've passed the test and are selected for interview

1 - 20 of 230 Posts