Medical Students Forums banner

Entry Tests.

19K views 87 replies 27 participants last post by  abdn 
#1 ·
Hey I am a US citizen applying in Private Medical Colleges in Lahore. Fatimah memorial hospital college and LMDC. Can anybody tell me what are the entry test dates 2007/08 session because they are not available on the colleges sites. Secondly are entry tests mandatory for Foreigners applying in these colleges.

A reply would be appreciated!

Thankyou

#2 ·
I dunno abt FMH or LMDC but i do know that At CMH Lahore Medical College (new college run by the army) where I study foreign students do not give the test instead they submit their SAT scores in lieu of the entry test but overseas students not having a foreign passport are required to sit for the test

BTW CMH admission packet is available till 5th Sept 2007, Entry test 09 Sept 2007 Its a great college and its definitely worth giving a try, we currently have abt 30 overseas and foreign students studying in the first yr

FMH entry test is on 16 Sept 2007

#3 ·
Thanks a lot for the great information Mohsin! I'm sure others will really appreciate your help.

#4 ·
Thankyou for your reply Mohsin.

Can you tell me if entry test of FHM and LMDC is mandatory for foreign students. Am sorry am not currently in Pakistan and there is no information on sites so i cannot get the information myself. IF you have any information i would appreciate your response.

#11 ·
I don't know about CMH's policies really. According to Mohsin255, you can submit SAT II's. Usually schools that take SAT II's also take MCAT in place of SAT scores or vice versa, but I'm not sure, so you should probably check with the school itself. Just remember, SAT II's are much, much easier than the MCAT, and that the MCAT is actually a very hard test.

#16 ·
all colleges have 3 student categories, LOCALS, OVERSEAS PAKISTANIS n FOREIGN.....if ur a US citizen n ur applying on the FOREIGN seat at any private med skool in LHR (CMH,FMH or LMDC) you CANNOT give the entrance exam! for FMH n CMH u hafto submit ur SAT I and SAT II scores, at LMDC they dnt want em, you only give em ur IBCC equivalency certificate.... HOWEVER if ur applying on the OVERSEAS PAKISTANI seat then you hafto take the MCAT(entrance exam) at CMH and FMH... LMDC dsnt have a seperate overseas pakistani n foreign student category, they only have a LOCALS category n a combined OVERSEAS/FOREIGN category n for tht u gotta pay the dollar amount of the fees n u dnt hafto take the entrance exam or anything just give em ur equivalency certificate thts above 660/1100... dnt even bother applying for the LOCAL students category ANYWHERE cuz honestly unless you have an equivalency above 800/1100, ur not gonna get in

#35 ·
Are you saying as a 'overseas pakistani' you need to take MCAT for these private colleges (CMH & FMH)?? On what basis do they do this?? There is a heck of a difference in SAT I & II and MCAT!!! Having done GAMSAT (MCAT equivalence in Australia) more than once I can tell you GAMSAT/MCAT are x 1000 times harder than SAT tests. OMG.. this is so unfair!#angry #sad

#19 ·
salaam aleikum,

I went to pakistan over the summer and visited Shifa. I liked the fish tank, lol. Well i got a couple of FSC/caravan books after hunting for them everywhere. tryin to study them, lol. The prob is that everything has to be memorized becuz there is only pure info in the books. I not used to dat. Inshallah i will be graduating from highschool in 2008.

Please if someone can enlighten me....

#21 ·
fsc 6 books......pure evil

dont understand...just memorize...............and dont go trying to figure out wut that funny symbol in the physics formula is.......it could be a phi, delta, theta, but its none of ur concern u will only need to know how to draw it..........

#24 ·
I am currently completing AP bio. Most of the things i hav learned are even more advanced than the 6 fsc books.
It's true that if you take an AP Bio course that follows the AP Bio guidelines, you'll end up learning a lot more than you'll learn from FSc books. I have all the grades 11-12 FSc books and they don't go over every thing in nearly as much detail as most books you'll use if you're taking an AP course, since AP courses tend to use first year college texts.

The thing is though it's possible to score really high on the AP biology test without knowing a lot of detail. One reason is that it has a really big curve.

If you take your AP Bio course seriously and focus on everything your instructor requires (if you have a good/dedicated instructor), you'll have a much better understanding and knowledge base of the concepts than you would having just read FSc books.

#23 ·
true that AP courses are advance, but bro Pakistan's tests are really weird...its all about memorizing every single thing in the book and then write it on tests...very limited mc questions if any. For those who haven't took APs then its not an easy thing to ace Fsc becuase high school science courses in US don't cover every thing. fsc is almost like college stuff. On top of this in pakistan problems are approached differently. In US they make it easy 4 us with reference tables, scientific calculators and problems are solved in a simple way...ask your parents to tutor you and you will experience this. Remember one more thing when studying....Ap bio focuses more on genetics and process of resipiration sort of things. fsc focuses on body in detail.

#25 ·
Smeer's right guys. One thing to also keep in mind though, is that entry tests will hardly cover anything conceptual. Concept-based learning isn't exactly something a lot of schools stress in Pakistan.

Most questions will ask you for an exact regurgitation of what's in those Fsc books, which may even be an ordered list.

Just to give you an idea of some of the outrageous questions that could be asked, if you look in the old multiple choice question books (available at a lot of book stores) you'll see they go so far as to ask things like, "What is the atmospheric pressure in the city of Murree?"

So yeah, AP concepts, great for knowledge-- not so great for entry tests, unfortunately :-/

#27 · (Edited)
i gave just about every single paki medical college admission test.....some seriously and some for kicks........the FSc course maybe easy but the questions they ask you are downright crazy. for example, heres something i found in the Army medical college entry test (bio section)

1. In one of the experiments performed by kohler, a chimp is placed in a cage and fruits are hanging from the ceiling. the keeper has placed different sized boxes inside the cage. after a short period the chimp moves the largest boxes and piles smaller ones on top and then climbs up and grabs the fruits.
i.) how many boxes were there?
ii.) what kind of fruit was hanging from the ceiling?

i mean comon man! what kinda question are these!!! and i assure you the type of fruit wasnt in the book.. it just said fruit hanging from the ceiling. chek for urself in FSc bio 12 page 84!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.