Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am trying to find international schools for my husband that will let him have a good chance of doing his residency in the US (any general advice on this would be appreciated). I was reading about Shifa and AKU and thier programs and I was wondering what electives are and how they differ from regular residencies. Apparently, they are only a few months long? Do a good precentage of people who go to these schools end up practicing in the US?

Thanks,

Rajaa

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Hi,

I am trying to find international schools for my husband that will let him have a good chance of doing his residency in the US (any general advice on this would be appreciated). I was reading about Shifa and AKU and thier programs and I was wondering what electives are and how they differ from regular residencies. Apparently, they are only a few months long? Do a good precentage of people who go to these schools end up practicing in the US?

Thanks,

Rajaa
Electives are completely different than residencies. An elective (clinical or research) is what a medical student does during medical school and it usually lasts anywhere from around 1-3 months. A residency is a required multi-year training program that physicians complete after graduation from medical school.

In terms of your husband wanting a school from where he has a good shot at a residency, the actual school he attends matters very little. What matters more is his USMLE scores, his research/clinical elective experience, and the letters of recommendation that he has from physicians in the US who are affiliated with either a medical school or a teaching hospital.

Shifa and AKU are both great choices and a large percentage of graduates from both schools go abroad to further specialize.

Hope this helps, #laugh

·
Registered
173 Posts
Electives are completely different than residencies. An elective (clinical or research) is what a medical student does during medical school and it usually lasts anywhere from around 1-3 months.

i wonder if clinical or research electives are a part of medical school life ,i mean during medical school...then how we can go for it?? because once we are ended up with 5 yrz education at medical school,then we procced for USMLE or Gre thing.but if i want to take up some elective during my medical school ,what should i do?? how can i have a USMLE score before ending up with MBBS studies??

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
i wonder if clinical or research electives are a part of medical school life ,i mean during medical school...then how we can go for it?? because once we are ended up with 5 yrz education at medical school,then we procced for USMLE or Gre thing.but if i want to take up some elective during my medical school ,what should i do?? how can i have a USMLE score before ending up with MBBS studies??
If I understand you correctly, the answer to your question of how to obtain electives while still in medical school can be found here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts