Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm waiting on acceptance from medical colleges in Pakistan nowadays. I'm from NY. In the meantime I wanted to ask what classes are like in medical college etc. so that I can start preparations. Are there lectures? Do the professors use powerpoints? What do most people use to study/ take notes, laptops or notebooks? do students wear backpacks or carry their books around campus? do you take your textbooks to class? how long are classes? and are their uniforms in any of the medical colleges? stuff like that. If anyone could give me some details, that would be great. Thanks:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Others may have different ideas about these questions but here are the answers from my experience at a private medical college:

1. Yes, there are daily lectures.
2. Professors at most private colleges definitely use powerpoints and many times will make the lecture file available for students to copy over via a USB flash drive.
3. Students mostly take notes with pen and paper still. Laptops/notebooks aren't really the norm.
4. Wearing a backpack or carrying your books to school is seen as a sign of being totally uncool. The reason is that kids in Pakistan who go to elementary school carry their books and wear backpacks and college and university students try to distance themselves from that so they try to carry absolutely nothing if they can help it. I think it's silly and I use a backpack anyways.
5. Lectures are usually an hour to two hours long. Dissections and labs in the basic years go longer and in the clinical years, your time in the clinical wards can go all day depending on the schedule.
6. Some private medical colleges do require uniforms.

Others can add to this with any information that they have. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi everyone

I'm waiting on acceptance from medical colleges in Pakistan nowadays. I'm from NY. In the meantime I wanted to ask what classes are like in medical college etc. so that I can start preparations. Are there lectures? Do the professors use powerpoints? What do most people use to study/ take notes, laptops or notebooks? do students wear backpacks or carry their books around campus? do you take your textbooks to class? how long are classes? and are their uniforms in any of the medical colleges? stuff like that. If anyone could give me some details, that would be great. Thanks:D
I think u should until u get admsion.After getting admsion in medical college mention its name and people on this forum will help by providing info. About that particular college .becoz every college has its own style for example some of them have uniform while most of them are not thats Y !

·
Registered
181 Posts
Others may have different ideas about these questions but here are the answers from my experience at a private medical college:

1. Yes, there are daily lectures.
2. Professors at most private colleges definitely use powerpoints and many times will make the lecture file available for students to copy over via a USB flash drive.
3. Students mostly take notes with pen and paper still. Laptops/notebooks aren't really the norm.
4. Wearing a backpack or carrying your books to school is seen as a sign of being totally uncool. The reason is that kids in Pakistan who go to elementary school carry their books and wear backpacks and college and university students try to distance themselves from that so they try to carry absolutely nothing if they can help it. I think it's silly and I use a backpack anyways.
5. Lectures are usually an hour to two hours long. Dissections and labs in the basic years go longer and in the clinical years, your time in the clinical wards can go all day depending on the schedule.
6. Some private medical colleges do require uniforms.

Others can add to this with any information that they have. :D
I don't think there is any thing to add! nice reply!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks !! another question i have is what are your guys's study routines? do you get hw or is it mostly just studying? how many hours? what time do you like to go to sleep...or what time do you get to go to sleep? what time ur classes end etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts