Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salam

I recently sat for the MCAT in 2015 and achieved and overall aggregate of 86.18% meaning that I will most certainly make it to a govt college in Punjab. Though from Lahore, I will most certainly not be getting an admission in my hometown but I might just have a chance for Rawalpindi Medical College (its merit closing in at 86.58% last year) provided that the merit drops by at least 0.4%.

To make it clear, my strict plan for the future is to achieve a good score in the USMLE during college and to ultimately land in a residency in the US. Keeping that in mind, what college should be my preference of those above?

Should it be Shifa owing to its modular system of teaching and evidence based medicine which, I believe, benefits those taking the USMLE?
How good is the clinical exposure and teaching at Shifa?
and how important is clinical exposure really if all i'm aiming for is the USMLE?
How research oriented is Shifa compared to RMC? (because i'm also planning to start my own research during college)
Ultimately: Is studying at Shifa and paying a substantial amount of its fee really worth it?

OR

Should my decision be RMC (or any other lower govt. college like Gujranwala that I might manage to secure), owing to its relatively strong Almuni base and clinical exposure?
Obviously the clinical exposure at Shifa will be far lesser than a govt college but how important is this exposure for me considering my future plans?

Also, has the Shifa Tameer-e-Millat University resolved its issues with the PMDC as yet?

I know these are a lotta questions but any guidance from the Alumni of respective colleges or any other students will be of immense importance to my future plans

Thanks in advance!:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
While applying the UHS has signed a surety bond by to us to serve in Pakistan for 3 years :| What do u think about that???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While applying the UHS has signed a surety bond by to us to serve in Pakistan for 3 years :| What do u think about that???
Well I thought that's always been that way. And its actually 5 years, not 3. And the surety bond also says that a remuneration on Rs 500,000 is to be paid if one does not want to work for the government for that time. So i'm sure that isn't an issue

·
Registered
65 Posts
My aggregate hometown and future plans are exactly like yours. What I will suggest is that you go with RMC, keep this in mind that the major difference apart from the fee structure in shifa and any other government institute is the students who study there. Most of the students studying in RMC will either be like you or better so you will have a better competition as well as exposure there as compared to private institutions, they are more determined obviously and a lot of seniors make it to USMLE every year from RMC so you will get the help too. But this is entirely my opinion you should go to whatever place you desire.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think you should go for Shifa. It is way better in terms of conceptual studies and allows research facilities too as far as I have heard. You'll probably get under the burden of only memorizing and cramming in govt institutions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My suggestion would be to keep the money and go for RMC unless US $100,000 (aprx) is a small amount for you, so does depend a bit on your personal circumstances and situation also. One good reason to go Shifa is also it is a better fit for students coming in from foreign countries due to social scene.
Due to modular education Shifa would be better for USMLE but I don't think that better where some extra USMLE prep which can cost fraction of that fee would not cover it. Thousands of students from Govt medical colleges in Pakistan have done great in USMLE and are practicing in USA and Canada (different exam).
If you are putting all your eggs in one basket, please be aware of the following. In USA there were about 5 new Medical colleges that started 3 or 4 years ago. This means starting 2016 more local graduates and hence less openings for IMG's. On the flip side, there is a bill in US Congress languishing for quite some years to increase 15000 residency positions. If that ever gets approved, things will get very good for IMG's. So either things will get better or worse, they will not stay the same.

Edit: residency position increase bill is for 15,000 postions over 5 years. But don't hold your breathe, not approved yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My suggestion would be to keep the money and go for RMC unless US $100,000 (aprx) is a small amount for you, so does depend a bit on your personal circumstances and situation also. One good reason to go Shifa is also it is a better fit for students coming in from foreign countries due to social scene.
Due to modular education Shifa would be better for USMLE but I don't think that better where some extra USMLE prep which can cost fraction of that fee would not cover it. Thousands of students from Govt medical colleges in Pakistan have done great in USMLE and are practicing in USA and Canada (different exam).
If you are putting all your eggs in one basket, please be aware of the following. In USA there were about 5 new Medical colleges that started 3 or 4 years ago. This means starting 2016 more local graduates and hence less openings for IMG's. On the flip side, there is a bill in US Congress languishing for quite some years to increase 5000 residency positions. If that ever gets approved, things will get very good for IMG's. So either things will get better or worse, they will not stay the same.
Whooo! From where did u get all those info about med college openings and bill. Sounds cool!!! Didn't even know about USMEL when I woke today!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Whooo! From where did u get all those info about med college openings and bill. Sounds cool!!! Didn't even know about USMEL when I woke today!
This link is regarding the bill and aamc take on it:
https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/newsreleases/431072/20150430_2.html

This link is for its status in US Congress:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/1148

Half of my family is doctors and the other half is in Teaching or Education so lets just say I listen to many of these news. You can find out about new Med schools in USA over google, 2 were in Florida and one in Arizona and other 2 I can't remember. If bill passes its cool!!!, if not, it will become very uncool :)
btw my research on this is because I am contemplating whether to apply to Pakistan or tough it out here and take my chances.

Edit: Please note in conjunction with above there are 2 other bills in congress also regarding seats.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This link is regarding the bill and aamc take on it:
https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/newsreleases/431072/20150430_2.html

This link is for its status in US Congress:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/1148

Half of my family is doctors and the other half is in Teaching or Education so lets just say I listen to many of these news. You can find out about new Med schools in USA over google, 2 were in Florida and one in Arizona and other 2 I can't remember. If bill passes its cool!!!, if not, it will become very uncool

btw my research on this is because I am contemplating whether to apply to Pakistan or tough it out here and take my chances.
Best of luck!!! BTW I don't know why everyone on this thread wants to go abroad. Our country really need good doctors :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much for your comprehensive response escalations!
I understand that fee can be an issue, for me as a local student it would be lower i.e probably $35,000 if I choose to go to Shifa, given that the current fee structure doesn't upgrade itslelf.

But I believe I can draw the conclusion that it basically depends on the student and how he manages his time in his medschool accordingly as well as his effort. Besides, I come from an A level background. Maybe that could benefit me later on as well? :p (Just trying to be optimistic :joy::joy:)

Thank you for informing us about the news regarding the possible Congress Bill and that of new colleges opening up in the US!

Well I wouldn't know much but if it weren't the finiancial perspective there wouldn't be any reason for a foreign student to pursue medical education in Pakistan,

Should you do so, I wish you Good Luck :) and we'll all be happy to welcome you to Pakistan to pursue your ambition IA :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Muzaffar, Thanks for the reply and wishes. If you can get in as a local student to Shifa then fee difference is not too big so it is worth considering. And yes being an A level helps :p. I think standard of A level is higher then F.Sc and US or Canadian high school.
The main reason foreign students from US and Canada come to Pakistani Medical schools is not the cost but because there is no direct admission to Medical school after Grade 12. You need to first finish a B.A or a BSc and then apply to a 4 year medical school. So for 4 years you are in a limbo, not knowing if you will gain admission. Secondly its the time, 4+4 years is longer then 5+1 year for USMLE (if you are lucky). The fee for Med school is high here but generally it is all student loans that you pay after you become a doctor.
On the other hand rewards are, you are almost certain to match for residency if you complete medical school in North America where as if you are IMG, even after passing USMLE, you have to compete for limited spots. That is a whole new long discussion and there are other sites dedicated to that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
its not even about passing USMLE. As an IMG from Pakistan you need "high" scores. It also depends if you are a US IMG or non US IMG. I think the average Step 1 score of a non US IMG was 228 and for US IMG it was 213. You can also take Kaplan or Becker or USMLE prep courses in the summer time or after MBBS. Those Step 1 courses seem like a good option if you have the money ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another important query that I have is the one that I also asked initially.
Provided one's aim is to work in the US later on, would the clinical experience in the govt colleges be something I miss, if I go to Shifa?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Shifa allocates time for electives in the 4th and 5th year. go to USA during that time and do the electives. although some students do Step 1 before doing electives in US.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would suggest you go with RMC. RMC being older than Shifa has larger Alumni community with some of practicing in the US. Plus the clinical exposure you get at RMC will be far graeter than what you'll get at Shifa. And why spend so much money on your degree when you can get better education for almost no cost at all. And as far as research is concerned RMC is no less than Shifa. They do have a few research facilities and encourage undergrad research. More over RMC gives a UHS degree which I believe has more value than Shifa degree since UHS has more international affiliations than shifa and has made a name for itself internationally. And I myself know a few RMC students who made it to US residencies in the past few years. I personally have heard of more RMC students getting US residencies compared to Shifa. Quite franly Shifa is overrated. If I were you I'd chose RMC over Shifa any day.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts