Medical Students Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello

Hello, am a 5th year medical student in jordan, i would like to have my surgical residency in the US, in Thoracic Surgery, am going to have my USMLE's soon inshalla. what is the best for me, is it to take stop once i finish the 5th year and to have a year in the US for clinical electives.
OR to complete my medical collage then i do this with research elective? and is Thoracic Surgery available for me if i do all these or not?

· Registered
22 Posts
Also detain mind that you simply wish to do and work on analysis comes at those electives which will find yourself obtaining you printed. realize places to figure at that publish lots of papers a year, and take a look at to induce clinical expertise on the facet whereas there, or the other way around. you'll be able to perpetually aid to try to to analysis even though you are there as a clinical student.

· Registered
3 Posts
Not really. You're eligible for a housejob (which is equivalent of residency) directly after MBBS, and there are always positions open for that. If you learn a lot during your elective though, you can always put that to good use in residency/ house job.
You should spend some time reading over the other threads on electives on the forum. I'm not sure I fully understand your goals, do you want to do a surgical residency in your home country first and then go to the US after that to do a surgical residency there, OR do you want to go directly to the US and try to get a surgical residency there? If you're graduating this year then chances are it's too late for you to do an elective. If you have a four or five weeks off from your university then you might be able to do a clinical or research elective (research is always better), and yes, you will of course have to pay for everything on your own, which varies depending on where you end up going. You should be aware that you can't do electives if you've already graduated from your university. Electives are only available to medical students.

· Registered
3 Posts
You should spend some time reading over the other threads on electives on the forum.

I'm not sure I fully understand your goals, do you want to do a surgical residency in your home country first and then go to the US after that to do a surgical residency there, OR do you want to go directly to the US and try to get a surgical residency there?

If you're graduating this year then chances are it's too late for you to do an elective. If you have a four or five weeks off from your university then you might be able to do a clinical or research elective (research is always better), and yes, you will of course have to pay for everything on your own, which varies depending on where you end up going.

You should be aware that you can't do electives if you've already graduated from your university. Electives are only available to medical students.
I am going to be a final year student in the coming month I,e Feb 2023 so can I do electives in the US in order to get a residency in neurosurgery in the US and 2nd is that if I have to choose only one between research and electives which one can help me more to get residency in neurosurgery

21 - 36 of 36 Posts