Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey...
does anyone know when we apply for medical colleges in Dominican Republic. If anyone has any information on that (the months we apply in..etc, etc.) please let me... because that's going to be my second choice if I don't get accepted somwhere in Pak med colleges.

Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
La UASD (Universidad Autonoma De Santo Domingo)

Here is the link Moazzma. Sorry it took so long for me to reply! The site is not done yet but I think it has SOME helpful info on there.
http://www.uasd.edu.do/index.html

P.S. That is where I study but there are some other great universities there as well besides mine.

P.S.S. I only pay $603 US dollars per semester and its 2 semesters per year. It has gone up so it might be at $900 now. But its the cheapest and the best!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Natacha,
thank you so much for replying. I have been doing research on med schools in DR as well because I might not get into med school in Pakistan, since there are just 4 foreign student seats in each university in Pakistan.
Anyway, as I was doing my research, I came across Iberoamericano medical university...something like that. I think you must have heard of it. I heard it's a good university as well, and know some paki's who study there. I went to the site you gave, but everything is in Spanish...I can understand some words but my spanish isn't fluent so can u help me out? What are the requirements in order to apply? Do we gotta write essays...because for Iberoamericano uni. they told me I gotta submit an essay. And if you can give me a phone number where foreign students in USA can call to get some specific info. that would be great.
thanks for your help.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What are the requirements in order to apply? Do we gotta write essays...because for Iberoamericano uni. they told me I gotta submit an essay. And if you can give me a phone number where foreign students in USA can call to get some specific info. that would be great.
Requirements
-High school transcript notarized and translated. You can notarize it and translate it down here in D.R.
-A couple of copies of your passport and birth certificate.
-Two 2x2 pictures (head shots) of yourself.
-And the rest are things that you do when you get here (Assisting conferences, taking little high school level exames that they give to see if you qualify, etc...)

Note: There are no letters required.

(809) 535-UASD . That is the number for the university. The spanish thing can be a Temporary problem. They give all there classes in spanish and everything is done in spanish. I had to learn before starting school, but it wasnt that hard to learn. I learned in 4 to 5 months tops.

I came across Iberoamericano medical university...something like that. I think you must have heard of it. I heard it's a good university as well, and know some paki's who study there.
I do know that school but not enough at this moment to provide information. The only thing that I do know is that that is where they give the most preparation for the USMLE exam down here.There program is based on that exam, BUT its very expensive compared to my university (they pay almost the same price as med. students in the state), and It takes way longer to pass some of there classes do to the way there curriculum is formed. For example, at that school if you fail one class within a semester you have to repeat the whole semester over until you pass that one class, where as, at my school if you fail a class with in a semester you can still continue moving forward to the other classes and just take that class over with the next semester. I know a lot of people who transferred out of there.
I am going to look it up and edit this post so I can give you more info.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ok, just found it! Here it is Moazzma. The link that might give you all the information you need on (Unibe) Universidad Iberoamericana.

http://www.unibe.edu.do/school_of_medicine/default.asp

And this is there contact info.

Toll Free Numbers:
1-800-203-3562 (USA)
Fax. 1-(809) 687-9384

As I was checking out there site, I was kind of impressed (Although, I still would not trade my school for theres). In the long run I still end up saving more being in la UASD. But anyway, there site is very organized and cute.

·
Registered
305 Posts
UNIVERSIDAD AUTONOMA DE SANTO DOMINGO

(this last one is our library, and its one of the biggest ones in the carribeans...so I hear)

THESE ARE PICTURES OF THE UNIVERSITY I ATTEND (LA UASD)

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Wow, lookin good 8)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sure, no problem. All you need are your high school and junior high school transcripts to be legalized in the Dominican Embassy in your country. Then once you are able to travel to D.R. just have your papers translated bye a lawyer. Then, have it check by the educational secretary. Once you're done, just take the entrance exam and assist the seminar and you're done!
Hope that helps....
Please forgive me if I take a little long to respond. I am having a bit of trouble with my laptop.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Natacha ,tell more in detail about that entrance exam ?at your school.
victor
Hi Victor,

Sorry its taking so long for me to answer, I have been a bit busy with exams and also my computer seems to be acting up so its discouraging me from typing unless its really necessary.
Anyway, I think BigCaobo was right in saying that the admission exam is not a hard one. They test you on things like the Dominican history and things like that, but its nothing to worry about. Either way I took it a very long time ago and I'm not sure if it has changed (I doubt it), but one thing is for sure, it's not hard...
Are you planning to study in the UASD, Victor?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh I see, so have you started working on your papers yet? Are you planning to come down soon? In other words, are you planning to register this semester coming?#confused

·
Registered
19 Posts
[Hi Natacha .I'm not ready to register this semester,I did my high schoolyears in Peru ,but my wife will go there next month and will try to get those paper work in lima,Peru, I did took the GED test before I enrolled in Phoenix college, I didn't have my high school paper work at handat that time.but I'm taking math and chemistry so far
thak for your info.
victor

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello there

Hello there Natacha,

UNIVERSIDAD AUTONOMA DE SANTO DOMINGO
Is it approved by California medical boards?
Do they have a program in english?
Do they have FAFSA federal aid for US students?

Thanks for your time to reply.

Here is the link Moazzma. Sorry it took so long for me to reply! The site is not done yet but I think it has SOME helpful info on there.
Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo - Primada de Am?rica

P.S. That is where I study but there are some other great universities there as well besides mine.

P.S.S. I only pay $603 US dollars per semester and its 2 semesters per year. It has gone up so it might be at $900 now. But its the cheapest and the best!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts