Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found many people are interested in just what kind of compensation can be expected after sooooooo many years of studying and hard work.

After scouring the web for a while I was able to compile some of the average salaries in the different specialties. If you want even more information, try Salary.com to find out how much you would make in a certain specialty in your zip code.

By the way these salaries are all based upon 3 years of practice after residency and do not include bonuses or benefits (which usually add quite a bit more to the average physician's bottom line).

Primary Care
Family Practice..................................$147,516
Internal Medicine...............................$160,318
Pediatrics.........................................$147,754

Primary Care Surgical
OB/GYN............................................$248,294
Ophthalmology..................................$256,872
Otolaryngology..................................$264,878

Internal Medicine Sub-Specialties
Endocrinology....................................$170,102
Neurology.........................................$196,563
Hematology......................................$269.298
Pulmonary........................................$218,978
Rheumatology...................................$165,218
Nephrology.......................................$233,824
Gastroenterology...............................$292,133
Cardiology........................................$317,500

Surgical Specialties
General Surgery.................................$261,276
Cardiovascular Surgery........................$558,719
Colon/Rectal Surgery..........................$291,199
Neurosurgery.....................................$438,426
Oral/Maxillo-Facial Surgery..................$208,340
Orthopedic Surgery.............................$357,224
Plastic Surgery...................................$306,047
Urology.............................................$285,356
Vascular Surgery................................$359,339

Misc. Specialties
Dermatology......................................$232,000
Psychiatry..........................................$174,658

Hospital Based Specialties
Anesthesiology...................................$301,802
Radiology..........................................$347,380
Emergency Medicine............................$210,830

If I missed something let me know! :p

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm gonna make some MONEY!

Haha... I'm gonna make some serious cash in Ob/Gyn! I can't wait! :lol: :wink: Can you imagine if I marry a collegue of mine. We are going to be living the life! Any single men interested?! :D Sign here :arrow: __________________.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Rehan

Out of curiousity, do you know any websites that can tell me the best place to go for residency in pediatrics or ob/gyn?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Hey Rehan

Natacha said:
Out of curiousity, do you know any websites that can tell me the best place to go for residency in pediatrics or ob/gyn?
Hey Natacha, here's a couple of links you might find useful. A ranking of the top hospitals across the US in pediatrics and OB/GYN.

I'm sure their residency programs kick ass if they're #1 in their respective fields of patient care...here's the

Top List of Pediatrics Hospitals

and the

Top List of OB/GYN Hospitals

and here's the link to the page where you can check up on other specialties too:

Top Hospitals by Specialty

Hope this helps! :p

·
Registered
305 Posts
I found some more info...

Hey Rehan, thank you once again for answering my questions... I went further into my search and just thought I'd share with you what I found.
This site is for the Residency compensation for Hartford Hospital in CT:

http://www.stfranciscare.org/body.cfm?id=1491

This one is for the one in virginia:

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/pgm/0,2654,2205111299,00.html

Personally I like the one in CT better cause its closer to home.

P.S. Remember I did these researches based on Obs/Gyn for those interested in that field.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone have some info on those 4 fields that I missed?

1) Infectious Disease
2) Allergy & Immuno
3) Pathology
4) Radiation Oncology

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello rehan,

The post of top in pediatrics..shows the best hospitals.Can you please tell about ranking about the best universities for IM?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think that medical salaries will be a relief overall. After all the expensive student loans w/ ridiculously high interest %, I will find myself owing my life to the devil himself...
Hopefully I make enough as a Cardiothoracic Surgeon to pay off my debts and help out my family.

Also, I want to make a note. This is something that really bothers me.
Most people I speak with, boast about me being a doctor because of the type of money my career path offers. It is sort of offensive that the first thing in their minds is "youre doing it for the money". That is not the case AT ALL.

The money is a plus after so many years of hard work and possibly near mental breakdowns through all those all nighters everyday while they are sleeping all cozy in their beds. I want to not only be able to have the luxury to pay all my debts but to also be able to help my parents and get them out of debt. Aside from that I will probably be one of those doctors to join the peacecorps for a year or two and or will be helping those who cannot afford healthcare here in the US because it is so damn expensive. Low income civilians also have the right for treatment, if anything it is them who need it more than the upper class.

Im doing this because there is really nothing else aside from medicine that catches my attention and makes me passionate enough to go borderline insane over.

Thats All. #angry

*Steps OFF Soap Box* #nerd #rofl

·
Registered
305 Posts
You make a very good point, May. I have also experienced this within my community. As soon as I say I'm studying medicine all of the sudden everyone gets friendly... But as long as you know what you want and what you are going to do then nothing else really matters! #yes

·
Registered
42 Posts
Natacha said:
You make a very good point, May. I have also experienced this within my community. As soon as I say I'm studying medicine all of the sudden everyone gets friendly... But as long as you know what you want and what you are going to do then nothing else really matters! #yes
true, true #happy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find out how long do these Specialties take. If Iam not mistaken these are done after graduating from med school and you do residencies in these fields? Thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts