Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you currently enrolled at a US medical school or in the process of applying?

We'd love to hear from you about your experiences with different schools, interviews, and the application process and any difficulties you encountered.

So please join the discussion and let us know about yourself! :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just graduated high school and im attending the university of texas at san antonio. I know I have a long road ahead becuase i want to eventually become a plastic surgeon. Do medical schools look to see how good the college you recieved your bachelors degree from? I know the university of texas at austin is a more prestigious school than utsa but does that matter to get into a med school. final question, how hard is it to get into a carribean med school if you cant get into an american med school?

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi everyone,
i had a question concerning the six year medical program that i have been hearing about lately. This program from what I hear is only offered in few states in the US and they take students out of high school. If anyone has any information that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Umer

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey everyone,

Well i m not going to join Medical[mbbs] but i am very much intrested in medical technology, which is very much getting evolved now a days.If anyone is studing this sub, then plz have a reply.

Take care

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
mdterrapin said:
hi everyone,
i had a question concerning the six year medical program that i have been hearing about lately. This program from what I hear is only offered in few states in the US and they take students out of high school. If anyone has any information that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Umer
when i was in my senior year of high school some ppl from UC Riverside came to talk to us about a 7 year program. UCR would be linked to UCLA i believe...basically, you would do your undergrad at UCR but continue to med school in UCLA. the catch was that they would admit about 200+ students and that number would get cut in half every year because ppl would drop out or get booted out. they said they would probably only end up taking 20 students or so through to the med school part of it.

i dont know if that was what you were talking about at all..but hope it helps :p

·
Registered
418 Posts
help

any on ehave good info on combined 7 year MD progarams... can i get a list of such univesity's

thank you

taimur

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have heard that some people instead of applying to US Med Schools apply in the UK, or other foreign countries.

Ei; England, Puerto Rico

So, they study there because of the costs and Ive also heard it is easier and better. That you learn more. Afterwards they come back to the US and take the boards. I have thought about this, that way I get to travel at the same time....But I am still unsure.

What do you guys think about this? #confused

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think studying abroad definitely has some great pros and cons:

Pros:

1) Learning about a different place, a different culture and developing a view of the world from a different perspective that you get to keep with you all your life.

2) Much more affordable tuition and living costs

3) Usually more patient contact and interaction for students

4) Many foreign schools do not require a 4 year bachelors degree as a pre-requisite for admission.

Cons:

1) Usually have to spend at least 1 year after graduation studying for the American boards to become licensed to practice in the US.

2) Living far away from home, friends, and family can be tough.

3) Sometimes you may have to learn another language or feel some culture shock at first.

4) May find it more difficult than American graduates in landing your very first job (residency) due to you being an International Medical Graduate .

Just some points I came up with off the top of my head, but yeah, I think there's definitely some great reasons to study abroad! #yes

·
Registered
3 Posts
im trying to apply for post graduation at us medical school,cud u help me??

<MOVED>

ADMIN's Note: This post has been moved to the 'Beyond Med School' section. Please do not post the same post under different threads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:hello:guys! I am a new a member in this site, so say hello hello hello #laugh

I want to be a travel nurse which is my dream. I have been a nurse in Beijing China for 4 years. Now i am doing Bachelor of nursing in Australia, and will finish at this end of year. Then i also want to get nursing licence in usa, do u guys know how to apply it:?: Can i work in usa with holding a Australian Registered nurse certificate :?:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Teresa your font is outstanding. Anyone who goes to med school in America is a sucker. (by sucker, I mean smarter than me).

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI,
I WISH TO ENROLL FOR PRE-MED IN USA,IN 2007,
WHICH PRE- UNIVERSITY COURSE IS THE BEST AND QUICKEST?
CAN I WRITE UK A-LEVELS IN JUNE2007?--WILL I BE IN TIME TO START PRE-MED IN 2007.
WHICH IS THE BEST ROUTE--I HOLD O-LEVELS(UK GCSE) AT THE MOMENT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where are you attending?

Not that hard where I'm at! Just have all your documents and have your money ready and you are in...
Natacha I have a question for you, since you are attending a school outside of the US. Will you still need to take the boards here in the US in which ever state you decide to practic in and will further education be needed since you attended school outside of the US? I met several people from Iraq who were doctors, but are now working at McDonalds and attending school all over again because they are unable to practice here in the US, which of course led me to my original question.

Any light that your able to shed on this would be greatly appreciated!#wink

Malie

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Malie, international medical graduates (or IMGs) need to have graduated from a World Health Organization (WHO) and Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) accreditted school in order to take the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) which then allows them to practice in the United States. Some states then require you to also get a specific state license but as a general rule if your school was approved for you to take the USMLE, you can get state licensure as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is great to know. This sort of information was unknown to me since I reside in the United States. However, I may consider being schooled outside of the US in the very near future.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Malie, be sure to check out our International Medical Schools section to ask any questions you have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think studying abroad definitely has some great pros and cons:

Pros:

1) Learning about a different place, a different culture and developing a view of the world from a different perspective that you get to keep with you all your life.

2) Much more affordable tuition and living costs

3) Usually more patient contact and interaction for students

4) Many foreign schools do not require a 4 year bachelors degree as a pre-requisite for admission.

Cons:

1) Usually have to spend at least 1 year after graduation studying for the American boards to become licensed to practice in the US.

2) Living far away from home, friends, and family can be tough.

3) Sometimes you may have to learn another language or feel some culture shock at first.

4) May find it more difficult than American graduates in landing your very first job (residency) due to you being an International Medical Graduate .

Just some points I came up with off the top of my head, but yeah, I think there's definitely some great reasons to study abroad! #yes[/quote]

i just found this post because i wanted to see what the pros and cons were of going to a school in pakistan versus just staying here and sticking it out for like 10 yrs...i guess you save allot of money in the long run but won't having an IMG status damage you also in your future prospectives? or are you guranteed a job as a doctor in the US after passing the USMLE's? This is all so confusing!!! #eek #shocked

1 - 20 of 72 Posts