Medical Students Forums banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Does anyone know if the academies are any good? My cousin told me that thier is some Star Academy in Lahore, and its supposed to be really good for preperation of the enterance tests. Im planning on going to pk in june and join an academy till the enterace tests. Let me know if anyone knows what the actually do in the academies.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey does anyone know if you can get books like the Caravans MCATS from here? My brother went to pakistan recently but he got me T.M Dogar's Entry test Guide; New Punjab MCAT! umm or does anyone know if this book is helpful so I can start studying?

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Does anyone know if the academies are any good? My cousin told me that thier is some Star Academy in Lahore, and its supposed to be really good for preperation of the enterance tests. Im planning on going to pk in june and join an academy till the enterace tests. Let me know if anyone knows what the actually do in the academies.
The academies do help, but it's just like going to the Princeton Review courses. They don't have any secrets to doing better on tests other than making you practice more than you would if you study on your own. Then again, if you have the discipline to sit yourself down and study for hours at a time everyday, I wouldn't think you'd need to go to an academy. They just operate on the rule that practice makes perfect.

Other than that, the only thing that might make them useful is what sort of test material they have for you to practice with. You might want to find out what they use (e.g. mcq books, fsc books, etc.) before signing up or before making up your mind to study on your own.

Hey does anyone know if you can get books like the Caravans MCATS from here? My brother went to pakistan recently but he got me T.M Dogar's Entry test Guide; New Punjab MCAT! umm or does anyone know if this book is helpful so I can start studying?

Not sure what you mean by "here." You mean in Pakistan? Or somewhere else? You can find almost any medical prep book in Pakistan. Anyway, I don't know much about that book myself though, so I can't tell you exactly how helpful it is. Hopefully someone else will drop by with more info...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I joined an academy here, I think it was called Zawiya or something. Basically we took MCQ's for bio, chem, physics, and english. As MastahRiz said they don't have any special tips or anything. However I would recommend joining one, because they have a testing environment which would help you guys alot. Plus you can meet some medical college hopefuls like yourselves. And laugh at how the guys and the girls don't talk to each other at all and sit as far as possible from the other sex.
But even if you do join an academy, study at home also. A lot.

To MODS:
Can you somehow have these last ten or so posts, that talk about or that deal with entry test tips/preparations,
"cut and paste" in another new thread, titled Entry Test Tips/Info or someting. Is this possible? If so, Thanks in advance.​

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Tips from an admitted US student

Greetings all!
I'm a 1st year med student at Shifa. I'm from California and gained admission based off of the entrance test. so here's what you need to know about the Shifa entrance test...It's hard. It IS a lot of memorization and you need to study for it but it's not impossible

Before the test…
The best thing to do is get all of the FSC books right away. There's 6 books, 2 for each subject(bio, chem, phys). The questions come straight from these books so you should read them all. The books aren't that big and the english in them is extremely simple so they tend to be easy reading material. Not necessarily interesting, but easy nonetheless. Studying from SAT II books for the entrance test is pointless so don't even bother.

Study from the FSC books for at least a month before the test. I got them about 3 weeks or so before the test and then ended up having to rush at the end. 1 month should be plenty of time.

Also get the MCQ books. Personally i bought Caravan. There's one Caravan MCQ book that's huge and includes all three subjects, it's the best. I found that the Caravan books that were for only 1 subject each seemed to have more mistakes in them. The important thing is to look at a few of the MCQs before you begin reading all of the FSC books just to get an idea of the types of questions that are asked. The majority of the questions are memory based so when reading the FSC books it's important to retain the facts and examples that are given(as they will usually only have questions based on the examples given).

Some of the questions in the MCQ books are worded incredibly poorly and have typos galore. Try not to spend too much time getting annoyed by the stupid questions...you'll just end up spiraling out of control and will eventually enter "hate mode." And believe me, once you enter hate mode it becomes hard to study. One of my favorite questions from the Caravan book was "What is the atmospheric pressure in Murree?" Luckily nothing as ridiculous as that was on the Shifa test.

What to expect on test day...
this past year the test was 2 hours long. the test had an emphasis on all three sciences along with a short english and basic math(algebra 2) section. For my test they had us use pen to fill in our answers on the scantron.

the english section was very brief but they asked the meaning of british phrases!
ex: What is a gas-bag?
No point in trying to study for it and most of them were pretty easy to guess on.

During the test don't be surprised if people are talking. I wouldn't suggest joining in but during my test the proctor kept giving students "warnings" and didn't actually do anything. Although if you're taking a competitive test I'm not quite sure why you would want to be exchanging answers...

A couple of questions that I remember…
-How many amino acids are in insulin?
-Which enzyme is the most specific? The answer to this particular question was the enzyme that acted only on lactate, and no other metabolites! (I left that one blank#sad)

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask questions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey, MedGrunt-- Thanks sooooooooooooooooo much for that!! i think we definately needed some tips for the entrance exam. But did you basically just memorize or actually sat there and understood everything you were reading, since you only had 3 weeks??

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
The majority of the questions are memory based so when reading the FSC books it's important to retain the facts and examples that are given(as they will usually only have questions based on the examples given).

My guess would be memorization... especially if they're going to ask things like British slang (obviously the best way to judge if you're ready for medical school). #eek

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
The majority of the questions are mostly factual and just straight memorization but it's also important to learn the concepts if you have the time. You'll find that it'll be much easier to memorize the facts and examples in the FSC books if you understand the concept behind it. Also if you can't remember a fact you'll have a better chance of getting the correct answer if you know the concept behind it.

Ex: What is the molecular shape of a specific molecule...i remembered the molecule was listed in a chart in the FSC table of rules for molecular geometry, but had to resort to the overall concept to get the answer.

The concepts are especially important for the physics sections because on the last test they had questions dealing with forces(newton's laws, etc.)

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Correct. You can get admission either off of your SAT IIs or the entrance test but you don't need both. Although it isn't simply an issue of "passing" the entrance exam, you have to score very well because A LOT of students take the entrance test.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For anyone preparing for the Biology E/M SAT II this is a really helpful link:

The Life Wire

It's the website based off my college book for Biology. (Life the Science of Biology by Purves, Sadava...)

It includes interactive tutorials on biology topics and has ready made flash cards, tests, quizzes and much more. I have found it to be extremely helpful in my preparations.

I've been using the Kaplan SAT E/M book along with this website-- It's been great :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yas, Also remember, not all Pakistani medical schools accept the SATII's. To my knowledge they are accepted at major PRIVATE schools like Shifa and Agha Khan. I have not heard of any government institution accepting SATII scores. Like MedGrunt said your goal is to not just pass the SATII exams, its to score well. Shifa's requirement is a 650, from what I have read around the forum, for Shifa you should get atleast a 700 or above to make your application competitive.

SH425,thanks for the awesome link!

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Wasan is correct. Just to clarify: no government school requires either SAT I or SAT II for admission. They simply go off of your IBCC certificate score (which of course is based off of your high school or O/A levels transcripts).

You will only need to take the SAT-II Subject Test exams for SOME of the private medical colleges--not all of them require it either.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts