Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I thought I'd make a section for all of us applying to BDS next year. I know azaynab and I both mentioned we are planning to go to bds, rehan recommenced we start our own thread here for that. So yeah i pulled a smooth move, i copied the tread title from there and changed mbbs to bds, so we will all fit right in hahah...

·
Registered
21 Posts
hahahha smooth :p i think we're the only ones applying this year :p

the process for government schools seems so so long...im sticking to private :D competition is so fierce for MBBS, i dunno how fierce it is for BDS, i hope it's not toooo fierce LOL #baffled

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually we have several other members looking into BDS like us, Medstudent786, Saira, you, and I, that makes 4 of us haha. I asked alot of my cousins and stuff in Pakistan, They said that BDS is not competitive at all compared MBBS. The whole Doctor craze is still on in Pakistan and Pakistani's abroad is still hot. I have also talked to a couple people at my local Kaplan Center, they did BDS from PK and India, they said it wasnt too bad.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yay BDS peeps rule! Well... that was my feeble attempt at trying to sound 'cool'. Anywho the degree it a year less in Pakistan and they're not as competition-prone as they are for 'Dactary'. I think Pakistan is looking more likely for me. However I'm still looking into Eurpean school Prague + Swiss etc... but about Pakistan I've been hearing that Physics may be complusory #baffled which sux because I have done no physics whatsoever since I was 15 - and I reallllllyyy dont want to take it up now. However I also heard they dont want it as bad as you need it for Medicine so maybe they might be a little more bla-zay? Also from the research I have done so far... Lahore seems to have the best dental schools so Im sifting through punjab schools right now...

·
Registered
173 Posts
well, you are right folks. Bds aint a big deal here in pak, because all the people are just crazy getting into MBBS but for govt. colleges, dont take it so EASY. there are about 20 to 25 thousand students in punjab only, sitting for the Entry Test and then only top 2000 students get addmision into medical colleges...about first 1500 into Mbbs and the rest go for bds or self-financed Mbbs seats. so the main task for you is to make sure that u get among those 2000 students. Rest wont be diffcult at all. #yes

·
Registered
36 Posts
well,i have been also been planning for bds for three years.i like the feild of orthodontistry.it is highly demanded in jeddah.but the main problem is that...i live in karachi and in karachi there is no govt dental college.a semi govt college is there but there are only 25 seats.so i have to do it from private college.please dont think getting addmission in bds an easy task.its as hard as in mbbs.i want to know if anybody from karachi knows about medical schools in karachi.i need help.thank you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://dailyjokeonline.com/winner.html
well,i have been also been planning for bds for three years.i like the feild of orthodontistry.it is highly demanded in jeddah.but the main problem is that...i live in karachi and in karachi there is no govt dental college.a semi govt college is there but there are only 25 seats.so i have to do it from private college.please dont think getting addmission in bds an easy task.its as hard as in mbbs.i want to know if anybody from karachi knows about medical schools in karachi.i need help.thank you.
Hey good choice for choosing dentistry. There are several dental colleges in Karachi. A new college that opened in Karachi that caught my eye is Altamash Dental College. Its is a very high end college with latest technology equipment and modern day facilities. Geo TV had a news article on them yesterday. Other great dental colleges in Karachi are Jinnah Medical Dental College, Hamdard Medical and Dental College, and Baqai Medical and Dental college. All of these colleges are very well known, Hamdard and Altamash are my top picks for Karachi. If my family was from Karachi I would choose Hamdard or Altamash, but my family is from Punjab so I'm considering schools in Lahore, Multan and Abbottabad.
Cheers :happy:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey good choice for choosing dentistry. There are several dental colleges in Karachi. A new college that opened in Karachi that caught my eye is Altamash Dental College. Its is a very high end college with latest technology equipment and modern day facilities. Geo TV had a news article on them yesterday. Other great dental colleges in Karachi are Jinnah Medical Dental College, Hamdard Medical and Dental College, and Baqai Medical and Dental college. All of these colleges are very well known, Hamdard and Altamash are my top picks for Karachi. If my family was from Karachi I would choose Hamdard or Altamash, but my family is from Punjab so I'm considering schools in Lahore, Multan and Abbottabad.
Cheers :happy:

thanx 4 info.well i will take test in each and every college,but i dont have strength to live in pk for more than 2 months.so i dont know how will i study there,the main problem is that my health goes down and i need a healthy mind in a healthy body to study.#dull

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hiya everyone,
GOOD LUCK with the whole admission procedure to get into BDS ..(trust me in da end it will be all worth it).. Last year I was in da same position as you guyz .. Trying to get into BDS in pak .. But something changed my mind .. AND then I also decided to stay in Europe!! .. An 110% happy with my decision? but will be going to pak for my electives..

Haha .. In my opinion it was more hard to get into bds then in medical !!
Tc ..
N keep us posted abt your situation? .. :happy:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Bushi, If you dont mind me asking, what changed your mind to go to Poland? This would help me and other future bds'ers on our decision to go to Pakistan. Im in a position right now, that I can stay in the States and do predental, or go to Pakistan for BDS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
FIRST of all i had sum family problem .. but then if i did my bds from pak then i had to go thorugh alot of registration exams which i didnt mind but however the gernal dental council in london ..didnt had good opinion on dentists frm pakistan!! ..as there way of dignosing for certain treatments are very different ..n i could hav seen my self strungling to find a job after doing my bds frm pak .. so i chosse to stick to europe near home!! ..
one more thing if u decide to go to pak stick to govermental univeirsities as they r more recognized then private!! (in uk)
n .. best thing is to talk to sumone who hav done there bds frm pak and is working in states...
like in states da rules r very strick for dentistry u hav to do 2yrs extra training if u havnt done ur bds frm states ..

if its all good for u to do predental in states.. i would defnt recomend u to stick to it .. or go to pak n spend a day in ur willing university n then make ur mind as the environment is very different!!

tc
good luck!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your quick response, I am planning on coming back to the US to practice. I have met and talked to many dentists from Pakistan and abroad. I've also looked into the continued education programs here. All factors considered I am planning on going to Pakistan.

Wish you all the best in your BDS studies. :happy:

·
Registered
46 Posts
well INSHALLAH i hope everything goes good for u ....may i knw wat univeristies u r interested in ? ...

haha .. i need all da good lucks as Neuro anatomy really sucks!!! #nerd

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm looking into Nishtar Medical/Dental College in Multan, Lahore Medical/Dental College, and Ayub Medical/Dental College, Abbotabad.

I really want to get into Nishtar because Multan is my home town.

·
Registered
46 Posts
whoooo hooooo....
INSHALLAH u will get in .. just dnt losse hope..once ur there as they do really grill u .. man hav u got ur grades changed for pakistani standard? as they take a lonngg time .. haha they still hav mine duplicates .. n i still havnt heard a word frm them n hav u done ur SAT yet ?

yes its good to chosse where ur home is so u wnt miss home that much!

so when r u leaving n when is da deadline for the whole porcedure?

:happy: good luck!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I havent gotten my grades converted yet, because I didnt get my final transcripts. I will be going to Pakistan first week of June Inshallah. The deadlines are sometime in September.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ohh cool not far only few weeks left.. but hey do keep us updated once ur in pak aswell.
:).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I havent gotten my grades converted yet, because I didnt get my final transcripts. I will be going to Pakistan first week of June Inshallah. The deadlines are sometime in September.

hahaha#laugh
even i will b in pk injune or july.but i will b in karachi.well thanx 4 altamash info.its really a nice college.it has 2 campus.atmosphere is i think suitable 4 overseas students

1 - 20 of 52 Posts