Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salaam,

So inshallah I will be attending Allama Iqbal, so is there anyone else from this site there? I think Cooldude is there? Also, all I here is negative negative negative talk about going to a government school. Is there any positives at all? Upper Classmen How much and what kind of studying does it take to be successful at govt school?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey Salam saghuman!
Salaam,

So inshallah I will be attending Allama Iqbal, so is there anyone else from this site there? I think Cooldude is there? Also, all I here is negative negative negative talk about going to a government school. Is there any positives at all? Upper Classmen How much and what kind of studying does it take to be successful at govt school?
I have a really old/good friend who I grew up with who goes to Allama Iqbal (he'll be a 3rd year when classes resume in 2008), and I had a long convo w/him about a lot of the things you're concerned about when I learned that I had gotten into Allama Iqbal via PTAP (I'm going to KE now because they bumped me up since the KE kid didn't reply).

This friend told me that one of the great things about AIMC is that it has the newest facilities out of any of the government medical colleges. He said a lot of the professors are starting to use power points. He also told me that the key is to fit in and not make too big a deal out of things that might make you stand out as a foreigner. As far as studying, he says it's pretty much all memorization (or "ratta" if you prefer the Paki. term lol). Also, he said that the intensity of the study is pretty much like you're studying for AP tests, especially when it comes to Professionals.

You do have to be really careful though because some people might misguide you by giving you false information so just be careful and know what to expect. An example that my AIMC friend gave me was that if you ask a random classmate the day of a test he might give you the wrong date. Just be careful about stuff like that you know?

Sorry I can't answer your questions in more detail! If you want I can tell you my friend's name (just PM me or email me or AIM me, whatever suits you) and if you're interested I can get you in contact with him so that hopefully he can answer your questions in greater detail.

I can say however that I feel the same way as you about all the negative talk haha #laugh!

I think it's good though because you know what to expect, and it's better to go in with a negative view and find some little positives to brighten your perspective rather than a bloated positive view only to be depressed/discouraged by the negatives.

·
Registered
418 Posts
students in pakistan have a tendency to tell you false things..........
why dont people cheat in pakistan? its cause the guy u want the answers from tells u the wrong answers on purpose so that you flunk.........

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Sure, some people will tell you the wrong things but it's generally because they're jealous and afraid that you'll do better than them. Once you get to know your classmates you'll quickly get a feel for which people are never willing to share the wealth(study tips, past papers, etc.) because they don't want anyone to do better than them. After the first couple of weeks it'll be pretty easy to recognize the people who are only looking out for themselves. Just steer clear of any "advice" that they might be eager to give.

But there are also the students who are always willing to help out and explain concepts to you or even share some last minute knowledge right before a test...or during!

*Medstudentz doesn't condone cheating. If there IS cheating, you better be the one giving out answers! #wink

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ya I notice that in my school too that other students have all sorts of tips etc from where to study what books the questions are based on, what notes to get from where and cd's etc and they NEVER want to share it with you its this jealousy sort of thing. But they always want to see what book your using etc.

The best thing to do is to find a senior and get all the help from them cuz they have no bias against another class usually. And just keep reading the notice boards and keep a good relationship with your class representative as they usually know everything thats going on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sure, some people will tell you the wrong things but it's generally because they're jealous and afraid that you'll do better than them. Once you get to know your classmates you'll quickly get a feel for which people are never willing to share
i might be going to a government medical college and this is the one thing im very worried about: the people. is everyone like this? but ive done a levels and i have to say, for some reason people that go into the medical field are always like this. even my classmates who were with me in a levels mislead me, people i thought were my friends! maybe its just a pakistan thing. theres so limited opportunity that its every man for himself.
so anyway, i hear that allama iqbal has many students who have come from north america to study, is that true? and how long does is take to get used to the system/students/teachers/environment? im used to pakistan, just not this sneakiness among friends and classmates. are teachers more harsh towards non-fsc people?

·
Registered
109 Posts
So-soon did u get int o allama Iqbal, if so on what seat.

Their a decent number of foreigners about 15 but even then most of them are from Saudia Arabia or other close countries,

It takes almost the first year to get adjusted or at least it did for me, but don't worry their are a lot of good people that are friendly and helpful that will guide u, the teacher on the other hand are nice until u do something to piss them off, they cant just hate u for who are.

·
Registered
96 Posts
its not for sure yet, but the man from hec said it on the phone. im hoping and wishing and praying, but i wont believe it til its on paper. and yes they can, when i was new here my islamiat teacher told us to write a paragraph on a certain topic for homework. i wrote 3/4 of a page and he says, "you dont like studying islamiat do you?" either he doesnt know what a paragraph is, or he was just assuming that by my accent. probablly both.

·
Registered
415 Posts
is everyone like this? but ive done a levels and i have to say, for some reason people that go into the medical field are always like this. even my classmates who were with me in a levels mislead me, people i thought were my friends!

No, not everyone is like that. There are kids who are like that, sure, but you can't go out and say everyone's like that. Over the course of the year and as you interact with more kids, you'll understand the natures of different kids and you'll be able to distinguish between who's reliable and who's not. It's not something you need to be super worried about. Just be sure you verify whatever you here from different people (which is something you should be doing anyway #happy).

and how long does is take to get used to the system/students/teachers/environment? im used to pakistan, just not this sneakiness among friends and classmates. are teachers more harsh towards non-fsc people?
It doesn't take very long to get used to the system/students/teachers, especially if you're living in Pakistan. You'll have to get used to the testing format but it's not a big deal if you're focused on studying. Teachers are not more harsh towards non-fsc people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So does anyone have any first/second year experience in Allama Iqbal med college that they can share?? any pics or tips??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Preference, u be happy if u get by regularly, they don't prefer any just because they are foreigner, actually if anything u are looked down upon bec usually foreigner don't tend to study.

Yea every foreign has their own room and can get it.

Search on line for pics, or just come visit the campus!!!

As for tips just look around this site and find out the typical colleges tips of med school in punjab, once u come here everyone will fill u in on the particulars at Aimc we have a good core of foreignors so dont worry.

By the way did u get into AMIC, on what seat and what is ur name!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
On the cheating note. Wah Medical College, had the 4th Year Community Paper a day before and didn't hook anyone up....suckers.

My friend in 4th year cheated on the Patho paper, but the dude gave him all the wrong answers...sucks....

Only cheat if you're tight with the guy who's next to you.

*Disclaimer: Cheating is for Haraamis*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts