Medical Students Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am really interested in applying to AKU (plus some other schools) but I couldn't find a thread with much info about that particular school, so I decided to start one with AKU as its topic, as MastahRiz suggested #grin

I have a LOT of questions about the (1) admission process, along with (2) what kind of scores you would need that would be considered competitive (SAT II/IBCC marks). If you could, I'd also like to know about (3) campus life for guys AND girls, (4) how much time do you put into studying everyday, (5) what are the facilities like, (6) how many breaks do you get throughout the year, etc. etc.. All the details please =)

I wouldn't mind actual AKU students swinging by here#wink

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey everyone, I am really interested in applying to AKU (plus some other schools) but I couldn't find a thread with much info about that particular school, so I decided to start one with AKU as its topic, as MastahRiz suggested #grin

I have a LOT of questions about the (1) admission process, along with (2) what kind of scores you would need that would be considered competitive (SAT II/IBCC marks). If you could, I'd also like to know about (3) campus life for guys AND girls, (4) how much time do you put into studying everyday, (5) what are the facilities like, (6) how many breaks do you get throughout the year, etc. etc.. All the details please =)

I wouldn't mind actual AKU students swinging by here#wink
I?ll shed some light to the best of my knowledge? add-ons by other users would hopefully follow:
1. Admission process is as such? you either have to take their entrance test or have your SAT I scores ready? they say the minimum requirement is 1250 but 1400 or above is considered competitive? I know the sat I has changed.. but they still do not consider the scores on writing (the new addition to SAT I)

Ok once you?ve cleared the entrance requirement, you?ll be thrown into a pool of all the students who got accepted and based on the merit, you?ll be called for an interview. There are contradicting views regarding the interview process, some saying it is straightforward while other calling it no less than a nightmare. Though one thing can be confirmed, you have to defend your assertion that you?re here to be an excelling doctor in front of the panel of crossexaminers.

Finally, after the interview, if they think you?re diligent enough, they?ll send you a letter of confirmation and acceptance and then begins your exciting life as a med student

As for the facilies, they?re the best across the country? heck, it?s considered among the best in South Asia, so don?t you worry about that

·
Registered
132 Posts
No, i'm currently enrolled at Ziauddin Medical University... though know tidbits about admission processes for a few medical colleges in karachi since i was too in this situation once

·
Registered
132 Posts
And for those people who are considering to give SAT I, because AKU wont consider your scores on writing section, i would advice to altogether skip any preparatory work/practice on the writing section and focus on math and critical reading ONLY

Beside, SAT I is a much safer bet than AKU's entrance test. Last year, i heard that the cut down eligibility for interview acceptrance was 60 percent (score on entrance test).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. Admission process is as such? you either have to take their entrance test or have your SAT I scores ready? they say the minimum requirement is 1250 but 1400 or above is considered competitive? I know the sat I has changed.. but they still do not consider the scores on writing (the new addition to SAT I)
do you know much about the competitiveness of the SAT II's? cuz that's wht i'm planning to take in november. i just wanna know wht kinda scores AKU is looking for.

and as for the hostels, etc, would anyone happen to have any pictures of them? after hearing that they are the best in south asia, i have to see them for myself #eek

·
Registered
132 Posts
For the Sat II scores, attaining 700+ in each subject (biology, chemistry, and physics and/or mathematics) should be the aim for giving you a decent possibility in securing a seat

Although I don’t know the prerequisite minimum score for AKU, checking other colleges’ requirements should provide you with better assessment

For instance, Shifa medical college has 650 set as its minimum, so one has to definitely score higher, specifically in the range of 700s

Ziauddin recommended minimum is 600

Also, I don’t know how tough the current conditions are, so maybe someone else could paint a better picture for you. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Although I don?t know the prerequisite minimum score for AKU, checking other colleges? requirements should provide you with better assessment
Their minimum for the SAT II is a 700. Anything above I think should be competitive enough. For the SAT I (reasoning test) though I think you need to get much higher than the min. (1250). Like danny said, I think aiming for over 1400 should be good enough.

I went to Pakistan last summer and visited AKU. The house mother showed me around the campus. Sorry I didn't take any pictures, I wish I had. Otherwise I would have definately posted them up here. It's really nice. I live near Toronto so thats the only other university I can compare it to. They don't look alike at all, but AKU definaelty holds up in comparison. UofT has more of romantic/historic thing going on, while AKU is more geometrical and really really red.

Lol I dont think that made sense. I'm sorry I can't really describe it. It's much more formal and structural yet beautiful at the same time. The rooms themselves are really small, but that's the same with almost every uni in the world. The only really big disadvantage I think is that they don't have air conditioning.#eek

But I'm sure If you get in, you can overlook that little fact.

I'm trying to get into AKU too, but still trying to be realistic. Ziauddin, Baqai or this new Dow International ppl are talking about are my back ups.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would you guys happen to know anyone that recently got accepted to AKU? what did they score, what score got them in, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any AKU student ? Could you please tell me what your score was in the admission test & A- Level which got you in? What weightage do they give to co-curricular and extra- curricular activities?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I myself am a student of Shifa, but I have a friend who got admitted in AKU last year. His admission test percentage was 58 and in A-level he had all A-s (i.e 935 in equivalence). As for his interview, went fairly well. Except for a few debates in school, there was nothing much else he did to account for his co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
935?? wow.. now since i'm a foreigner, i dont really know wht the equivalent to all A-'s in a-levels would be.. can anyone help me out here? brief explanation bout a and o levels would do and an idea of the kind of grades it can be compared to in the US would do

·
Registered
1 Posts
The subjects for O' levels are more academically rigorous than the High School AP subjects and its tests. As for A' levels that would prepare you for a University level standard. I have friends who are preparing for AS levels (which is the 1st yr in a' levels) they are studying 4 to 5 books literally just for one subject. It bloody difficult, but it prepares you for things like medical! As for me, I just love the idea of completing my medical studies in lesser yrs than here in the U.S.! Dream Big yo!

Here is the new A.K.U. newletter for 2007. Chk it out yo! it'll give you a new perspective.

http://www.aku.edu/university/publications/aku-nl-may07.pdf

The previous newletters can be found at this link:

AKU - Seminars / Conferences

Hope this helps guys and galz and i hope u all get where u want.!! :) Peace

·
Registered
13 Posts
got a rejection
sad sad sad*sigh*

but couple of my friends got in
more than that--about 4 or 5 of them

1 - 20 of 34 Posts